Fishing on Blackduck Lake

• dronjj

It’s finally here. Now all we have to do is find a way across the Missouri Lake (OK it’s supposed to be a river but it is sooooooo flooded). Haven’t seen much news here so am hoping everyone is too busy catching cleaning and frying up them ‘eyes. Will see if I can shake up some news and reports for here when I get there tomorrow. Look for pics…I luv fish pics!

finman

Headed there myself later next week, my FMIL (favorite mother-in-law) isn’t too keen on fishing, but will probably be out in the mornings. We’ll see… 14′ Sylvan, three tone brown, 40h.p. Evinrude

dronjj

Been on the water two days now. Caught a few northern pike in the 1 to 3 lb range. And small perch, but no ‘eyes. Fished shallow to start and am moving to deeper water today. Found a 28 foot hole that echoed alot of fish, but wasn’t rigged to fish that deep. Gonna try that this eveing and fish the upslopes. Will be fishing the sunken mounds in the middle tomorrow, early. Have a couple of those “hammerhandle” pics but need to run to Bemidji for a transfer cable. Staying at Blackduck Resort on east end. Bring lot’s of sunscreen. The son has a red collar around his neck that almost glows in the dark. ‘Til tomorrow!

finman

What have you been trying for bait? Leeches have always been good for us. Have you talked to any of the guys at Timberline in BD? They are always a great source of info. My mother-in-law grew up in BD, still have family there. Maybe she can get the inside scoop for us. Good luck, we’ll stay in touch!

dronjj

leeches were slow. Chubs on lindy rigs produced a few perch. The Northerns have been hitting on tiger crankbaits. Did get the fishfinder and my son’s smartphone GPS working and have marked several of the sunken islands. Will be hitting those tonight and tomorrow. The owner of Blackduck Lodge and Resort has caught 6 and 7 lb Northerns each night since we got here. Been getting bait at the Shell station. Yeah, they aren’t very talkative. Will swing over to Timberline Thurs a.m.

finman

Stay tuned- I’ll see what I can do tomorrow. M-I-L knows a guy that works at Timberline, fishes all the time. Let you know-

finman

Sounds like BD isn’t producing many fish(as you have stated earlier) but it was said that Lake Bemidji is doing fairly well right now. My Father-In-Law and I are going to try it in the morning- we’ll see..

dronjj

Well, heading back to Omaha in the morning. It was slow but put enough ‘eyes and large perch in the boat for a meal or two. Had my first experience catching a Sheephead(drum). Weighed in a little over 18 lbs. Thought I had hooked a real trophy fish, but wasn’t to be this time. Could have used a few more days. Most eating fish we caught were right at the 7 to 9 foot depth in a little weeds. But, hey, who can complain! Nice weather, good company, a great place to stay and a new experience fishing. What more can one ask for. Next year, week here at Blackduck resort to catch our breath after we take a week on Rainy Lake (houseboat into the Park). Maybe Christmas vacation to see what the ice fishing is like. ‘Til then, hook ’em, release ’em, or cook ’em… signing off for now.

JerryN

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.