Beginner question

• Jen Dorwin

HI- I am what I would consider and advanced beginner in the world of fishing. I have done lots of research online trying to learn as I go. One thing that I keep struggling with is that when I go trout fishing and I cast my line out, the line goes slack and does not stay taut.  When I see other people’s lines they are taut and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.  I am using a Medium/light rod with 4-6 pound test with a swivel with 1.5 foot leader, a small hook, and powerbait. I do it without a bobber but have tried it with one just to see if makes a difference. But no matter what my powerbait doesn’t seem to float and keep my line taut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mike mulhern

you need to engage the reel as the lure hits the water and try to keep the line tight from that point on. Are you casting straight upstream? Try to cast across the stream at an angle based on the speed of the current if that makes sense.

Jen Dorwin

Thank you. I have actually been going to a reservoir not a river. So I think maybe a little different in terms of the current piece?

Riverrat

Your problem might be line memory if its getting loops or twists in it when not staying tight. If your trying to get your powerbait to float and don’t want to use sinkers or split shot you could try a casting bubble.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.