WI bear guide recommendations?

• c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I am hoping to bear hunt in 2015. I have 9 points, so I think I should be able to get a tag in any unit. Time is something I don’t have a lot of right now, so I am looking at going with a guide/outfitter. I would like to hunt over bait in an area with a high success rate, and potential for a big bear. I’m looking for a full service guide (baits, takes you to your stand, helps recover and butcher the bear, and get it to a taxidermist/locker). Lodging on-site or in a hotel is fine. The most important thing is potential for success, and help taking care of the bear once I harvest it.

I’m looking for recommendations from people who have first hand experience.

Thanks

PowerFred

if you want to bait sit, defer to 2016. The odd number years are dogs first and it does make a difference in success if dogs hunt first. I’ve hunted 3 different times. 2 years were bait sitters first, the other was hounds first. We killed on the first night both times when the bait sitters went first. Never saw a bear in 6 days when the hounds went first.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

C Hof:

I got a friend who has lodging, is a fishing guide and some of his friends guide bear, pretty full service and their success rate the last two years has been 11 of 12 with a nice average size into the 300# range…

Mark

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

C Hof,
    I’m curious. I had 9 points going into this year too. Did you apply for a kill tag this year? What zone are you planning to hunt? I got my kill tag for Zone D. I agree with Power Fred. If you are planning to bait hunt, I would defer a year until baiters go first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.