Got One!!

• mossyoak
    UP Michigan

Stayed up last night until Midnight waiting for the drawing results for Michigan bear tags and…. I GOT ONE!! Iam pumped I have never shot a bear. Iam open for any tips and suggestions

john_steinhauer
    p4

Congrats on your tag draw I wish I could be some help to you for tips but I’m still waiting to give it a whirl myself. Hope you lay the down on a nice one!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats!!

How do you plan to hunt? Bow or Gun? Is baiting allowed? If so, when can you start. Do want to hunt over bait? If you put a trail camera/s on bait stations, be sure to get the bear boxes.

I’m a rookie myself, but these are some of the questions that come to my mind. I’ll be interested in what the experts have to say.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

congrats I’ll have to look at the regs and see what is allowed before I make any suggestions

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Congrats Mossy!

big_g
    Isle, MN

One trick I learned last week… if your baiting… hang some white plastic bags with some bait (like from the grocery store) in a tree by your bait…it’s like waving a flag for the bear, they can see it a mile away !!!

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

I will be hunting with a bow, and baiting is allowed I was thinking about making a bait barrel like you see on tv since I wont be able to bait everyday. Iam pumped this will be my first time I will have been able to hunt bear.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Craig! Let the fun of bear baiting begin!

postmaster

If you can use barrels, take a 55 gallon plastic drum drill a hole in it through the top and out a couple inches below the lip to tie a strong rope, cable or chain to chain it to a tree. Next cut a hole in the top big enough to slide a 5 gallon pail into the drum to rim of the pail, this will keep all the criters out yet allow the bear to pull the pail. Next drill several holes around the side near the top to allow the scent to disperse yet not to big to allow lots of water in. Fill barrel with a variety of bait and tie in the tree so the top stays up, this will make the bear have to work for the bait yet allow him to reach in and still pull bait out. I also like to mix ground beef fat and add anise, put a softball size glob in a nilon stocking and through in a small tree that the bear cant climb to keep the scent going for weeks. (this is the best draw I have ever used in over 15 years of hunting bears. Dump cooking oil on the ground around the barrel, if they get hungry enough they will eat the saturated dirt, worse case they will make a great scent trail when they come and go.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great info Postmaster!!!

Come of to the Big Game forum and post some pics of that elk and share the story!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Shoot straight. LOL……never been bear hunting before so I don’t have any real helpful info but just wanted to wish you good luck.

postmaster

A nother thing that has worked is…when baiting rub your sweaty body all over the trees in the area and wear an old shirt working around the house and tie that shirt and anyone elses shirt that might hunt that bait, the bear will get used to your scent being at the bait. It is still very important to be as clean and scent free as possible when hunting but we all know it is tough when it is 80 degrees not to sweat. This will give you the edge when the bear gets a wiff of your scent because he has ascotiated your scent with the bait site.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.