battery packs

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

a recnt issue with my daughter came up with a bad battery in her vehicle. got me thinking i may get a battery pack to jump start vehicles…..and maybe throw in the boat just in case.

what do you guys have???? middle of the road……..i know i dont want one with the air compressor with it??? good place ot get one?????

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You can search a recent thread about this, the majority said Noco and I own one as do many friends. I bought the GB70 I believe and it works great. Amazon has them as well as many retailers, I bought mine off the snap on truck.

CaptainMusky

Yep cannot go wrong with a NOCO I have the GB70 too and its been great. There are lots of other options out there and that other thread shared a bunch of them. The thing with the NOCO vs some other brands is they have heavy duty cables and are built very durable.

Coletrain27

i have a gooloo brand i got off amazon. ive never had to use it but i always carry it in my truck and charge it a couple times a year

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I bought one in late December. Mine is a GB40 which is adequate for most passenger cars and SUVs. If you have a larger vehicle like a full size truck, you will want more boost like John’s has.

I got mine on ebay for $69 and free shipping. A week after it arrived, I was refunded the full amount for some unknown reason. I contacted the seller, and told them. They said it was a transaction error on their part, so they would not be charging me. So I ended up with a free product.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ll be hitting a real store. No Amazon for this guy!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll be hitting a real store.

I have seen them at Home Depot, Northern Tool & Equipment, and Batteries Plus.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You can search a recent thread about this, the majority said Noco and I own one as do many friends. I bought the GB70 I believe and it works great. Amazon has them as well as many retailers, I bought mine off the snap on truck.

i remember that now, but i did a search earlier before i posted this and didnt see it????/

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

i remember that now, but i did a search earlier before i posted this and didnt see it????/

Search jump pack it came up for me, sorry no good at adding links

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IMO what matters most about these jump packs isn’t Brand X or Brand Y, it’s:

1. Have it with you when you need it.

2. It has to be CHARGED when you need it.

For #2, I put a recurring reminder in my phone. I charge them once a month during the winter and every other month in the summer. Seems to work great and they don’t require much charging when I do it on this schedule.

I’ve got 2 different brands 1 from NAPA, one from Amazon and I got my dad one for Christmas. All are about the same so far, I think I’ve had them 2-3 years.

I’ve used mine 3 times, all were “dead in parking lot” situations, all 3 times the battery pack jumped the car/suv easily and it started right up.

mojo

When I researched them, I found that Gooloo was the only brand that made a unit specifically for very cold climates. As we all know, batteries that are stored for long periods do not do well in the type of cold we have here in the northland. Odds are good that would be the time it will be needed most. The majority of reviews on that particular model were excellent, but it was an Amazon deal. The Gooloo GT4000A, (the “A” is the model for cold climates) rated for 10 Liter diesel motors to minus 40 degrees Farenheit. Also has USB ports for charging phones etc.
    As TFGrouse mentioned, discharging and then re-charging them on a regular basis is a very good idea.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I bought a NOCO GB40. Didn’t work on my daughter’s 2013 Corolla but I didn’t let it stay connected very long. The Audew Epower-155 worked 3 times on my daughter’s car without letting it sit connected.
    Yup, keep ’em charged. That reminds me it’s time to charge each one.
    The problem with my daughter’s car was a bad negative ground from the battery so that may have contributed to the Noco’s poor performance.

MX1825

I have a JNC 660. Always had two at the shop before I retired. The oldest one was 10 years old and still worked great. So I bought a new one just before I sold the business and kept it. Might be overkill for what you want but it will start just about anything.

Sylvanboat

If you ice fish the GB70 can serve as a backup power source for your electronics. You can also use it to charge your cell phone. It is heavier and bulkier than the GB40. Good luck.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Great video on this topic.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.