Bathroom remodel

• Jensen

The wife wants the whole bathroom totally redone. Does anyone know of anyone that is reliable and good. Called a few places with no return call back. Located west of the metro area.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m probably the worst wood worker, carpenter on the planet, but i looked into it once. if your going to replace the tub/shower unless you tear out a wall to get the new one in those 2 piece showers are spendy………….

unless things have changed since i checked into it.

most carpenter people i know are pretty busy…….then there’s the issue with supplies….even mudders are having trouble finding mud.

Deuces

Good luck finding anyone rn.

Quite frankly I’d be suspicious of any contractor who has openings for the summer. It means they are either new, or not very good. Just my 2 cents.

Jensen

Thanks for the info.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Funny – my wife said the same thing a couple months ago. I called a reputable contractor who works in my neighborhood a lot. He said he had a waiting list for initial in-home visits that was 5 weeks out. I said put me on the list. That was 7 weeks ago – still haven’t heard back.

Problem solved.

jp

ThunderLund78

Good for you if you’re in a place where you can hire it out. I generally enjoy DIY, but I’ve done enough to know the following things:

1. I can do it if I have to (and do a pretty OK job)
    2. As I get older, my time, back & knees are more valuable dedicated to other causes

Really, tiling is the make or break point for me. It’s a mess (a lot of waste water, etc) and it’s hard on a body. After my bathroom/mud room/Laundry room project last year. I’ve sworn off tiling… until the next time jester .

But enough about me, you didn’t ask about that ) If you’re in the West Metro expand your search out into the ex-urbs and beyond into some of the smaller towns, like Norwood/YA, Glencoe, Belle Plain, etc. You might find smaller outfits that are a little more flexible, depending on how far they’re willing to go for a job. But I think everywhere is going to be booked out at least a little while.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well if I was closer I would give you a hand but,,, I’m a little far out.
    One suggestion is don’t be afraid of tile walls and floor. Just be sure all surfaces are “waterproofed” before thinset is applied. Contact me if you have any questions. I’ll do what I can from down here.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Funny this tile install came up. Was just thinking about a DIY tile job on my little entryway. Briefly googled it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Here are three separate projects that were complete walls ceiling and floor removal then everything came back new.

Attachments:
    1. 1305-scaled.jpg

2. 1304-scaled.jpg

3. 1312-scaled.jpg

4. 1311-scaled.jpg

5. 843-scaled.jpg

carver
    West Metro

Just did mine. If your thinking about doing a surround with a tub. Stay away from the delta/Lyon cheap stuff. Get the no caulk surround which you can find at Home Depot or menards that is a special order.

Now any plumber can install a tub and may do a surround for you but the rest is up to you to finish.

Jensen

EPG set me up with a guy who is stopping over tonight. Seems like he knows what he is doing real well. Plus if EPG recommends him he has to be good.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The wife wants the whole bathroom totally redone. Does anyone know of anyone that is reliable and good. Called a few places with no return call back. Located west of the metro area.

We are in the middle of reno for the main bathroom that the kids use right now. We booked this job back in January and I’m glad we did. Contractor we are using says he is currently booked until 2022.

Basically, if you can find someone to do it, don’t dwadle. Make sure the Mrs. has binge watched 1042 episodes of DIY TV and knows everythign she wants done and has EVERYTHING picked out for tile, fixtures, etc.

Just to warn you, the biggest issue right now is shortage of materials. Don’t depend on “just in time” ordering of stuff like faucets, fixtures, vanities, etc. We have already had to go to plan b and plan c because the stuff that supposedly was an easy-peasy order from Home Despot comes back with a notice that it’s on backorder until 2023. We have had this happen twice, you try to order and it’s supposedly in stock at the distributor’s, but then you get an email 2 days later saying “not available”.

So whatever you want, buy it now to make sure you have it when you need it.

Grouse

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Stay away from any free standing tubs. Expensive junk. I wouldn’t touch hooking one up for less than 2k plus materials. Then my warranty on it will expire about the time I hit the front door. Service call on one starts at 2k. Good chance you will have a water damage insurance claim to.

But what the heck. They look nice and are trendy.

Attachments:
    1. 20210513_143326-scaled.jpg

Ike Sell

I’d expect a one year backlog to get a project on a good contractors list. We planned ours a year ago last March, then COVID hit and we called it off. Then decided to move ahead last October. Contractor got to our job in April. Just finishing up this week. This was in Cass County at our lake home.
    I’d keep trying to get the attention of a local contractor with a good rep. Be flexible. In the mean time cut back on your fishing and/or hunting trips and put the money away so that when the estimates hit, you can feel at least somewhat good about spending the money, you already have it! OK not funny.

iowa_josh

“Problem solved” indeed. I do know that if it takes a long time for stuff to show up and it is wrong, the replacements take just as long again to show up.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Stay away from any free standing tubs. Expensive junk. I wouldn’t touch hooking one up for less than 2k plus materials. Then my warranty on it will expire about the time I hit the front door. Service call on one starts at 2k. Good chance you will have a water damage insurance claim to.

But what the heck. They look nice and are trendy.

Mike I agree only difference was both customers had already purchased them and I did the install. I’m really unsure about them in long term run. here is a couple of pics on one. The tub and tub faucets are the only items that was supplied by my client the rest was my contacts.

I gotta add If Noah was floating by in his arc, My client could be setting in het tub with a section of her house attached by the way I installed it into her floor! rotflol
    As “Mr. T” used to say something about “I pity the po fu that tries to take it apart!” jester
    All I can say it won’t be me! They are 75 and I’m 66 now.

Attachments:
    1. 437-scaled.jpg

2. 425-scaled.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.