lake-link culling debate

• dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Not sure if many of you guys use another web-site called lake-link. Whether you do or don’t, there is a discussion forum on there that is about the culling bill. I’m sure most of you are aware of this bill and how is could greatly affect your part of Wisconsin. For the good that is. And for Wisconsin on the whole.
    Personally I’m for the cull bill. Some of you may not. But was wondering if some of you would go to that web site and look thru some of the debates on this. And maybe add your 2 cents.. Or better yet let us know on the site what you think of it. I had heard from another guy that was at the Madison hearing that someone from down in Prairie du Chein spoke out against it. And I was wondering why that would be? I guess from the other web site it really frustrates me that many who are opposed to this really don’t understand why this change would be better. What am I missing? Would like to hear from you guys (girls) from the River area and your opinions…Thanks.
    The web site is http://www.lake-link.com-forums-boards-viewpost

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

My guess is Jeremey will have the most thorough response to you dhnitro… but the “Reader’s Digest” version goes something like this: The “meat hunter” goes out and is looking for dinner, keeps all the big ones and takes ’em home. Nothing wrong with this if they have nice livewell like we Bassmaster’s do (I use the term losing just so I can be included…) The individuals who use stringers, baskets, coolers, etc. are HARMING the fish for X-length of time. Then, catch a bigger one and let that fish go… the fish will not likely live, but will likely swim away.

Hence, culling has potential downside. Though, my arguement would be, that individual will likely keep ALL of them anyway. Just think about the many fisherman you have seen catch illegal amounts and sizes of fish, just to be kept and eaten. I find this frustrating.

No law, except prioper law-enforcement, will cure this.

With all that said, I too, would be interested in what others have to say.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE DEBATE OVER THIS ISSUE ON THE LAKE-LINK AND THE WISCONSIN BASS MESSAGE BOARD. IT IS GETTING VERY HEATED. I AM SUPRISED THAT THERE ISN’T MORE OF A DEBATE ON THIS BOARD. IS EVERYONE FOR OR AGAINST THIS BILL? I AM FROM ILLINOIS, SO I’M NOT SURE IF MY VOICE COUNTS, EXCEPT I FISH MOST OF MY TOURNAMNETS IN WISCONSIN. I HOPE THE BILL PASSES, I THINK IT MAKES FOR A MORE FUN TOURNEY. I ALSO CAN SEE THAT THIS ISN’T A VIABLE REASON TO CHANGE LAW. I’M STILL NOT SURE IF THE POSITIVES OUTWEIGH THE NEGATIVES. I GUESS I HAVEN’T BEEN 100% SWAYED THAT IT IS A GOOD IDEA. MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHAT DO THE WISCONSIN PEOPLE THINK? IT’S YOUR STATE AND YOUR LAW. TBASS

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

So, TBASS, you are one of THOSE people… an Illinois-ian towing a boat up here each weekend… You know we have an acronym to describe such a person…

Just kidding – if you are a fisherman, you are welcome!

I think you will find most people fishing tournaments and most people on this board are IN FAVOR of the bill passing and culling being part of either ALL fishing events, or limited to tourament angling.

This issue has been beaten to death on this board over the summer and, quite frankly, I think we hope it passes so this no longer is an issue.

My 2 cents.

riverfan
    MN

TBASS

I’m also a non-Wisconsin resident with a great deal of interest in the bill. Because MN tends to follow WI regulation on the Mississippi we have to deal with the no-cull rules in our river tournaments. I am on the committee that organizes the KFAN/St Jude tournament each May. I make tournament permit application and my name is on the permit. My signature indicates I’m agreeing to comply with the conditions of the permit. Abiding with the no-cull rule is one of condition of being granted a permit. We have no way of enforcing the rule but we try to make it clear that culling is illegal, which is all we can do. The real hardship is some teams take it seriously and some teams appear to be ignoring it. This creates some serious inequities and we have had teams that did not come back because of the issue. Because raising money for St. Judes is our primary goal we don’t want to loose teams. The no-cull rule is unenforceable; it has put use in a difficult position, and has damaged the integrity of our sport. I’m 100% in favor of overturning this rule. I have to add I’m a died-in-the-wool tournament angler, however, if I saw any evidence that culling was hurting the fishery I will back re-establishing the no-cull rules.

I did email WI Representative Pettis, basically saying the same as above and asked him to back the proposal. Don’t know if it did any good but it was my best shot.

Has anyone heard anything about the bill?

perch14

Riverfan,

I know of one way the no cull rule can be enforced. I fish one tournament a year in which the directors take the rule very seriously and try to enforce the rule by having tournament committe e boats on the water checking livewells as you fish. They will litterally board your boat and measure the fish. They then record the size and if they are not the same bass you bring in to the weighin you are disqualified. The first year they started doing this no one thought they were erious and because of that five teams were disqualified. Since then i have been checked three times in one of the tournaments and 0 times in others. But it definitly keeps the teams honest. At least until they get checked. The main problem with them doing this is a lot of anglers don’t like it and won’t fish the following year and it takes a lot more effort on the part of the people running the tournament. Just an idea.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

On lakes this might be more easily executed by the officials… The Mighty Miss offers some pretty secluded spots… in fact, I know of some that I have only ever seen ONE other boat fishing it… not to mention the possibility of locking through to another pool… pretty difficult.

riverfan
    MN

Perch,

Our permit is for pool 4 and 5. That’s 59 linear miles of channel, not to mention the back waters. The field is 75 boats so there is no way we could make it work. Let’s get rid of the rule and level the playing field.

perch14

I agree 100%. Get rid of the rule. i was just offering a suggestion that i have seen work for your charity tournament. As for the cull rule, i don’t think the people of wisconin fully understand the economic impact that this would have on their communities. I myself am a landowning “fishtab” and fish roughly 20 tournaments a year in the great state. i would say on average i spend $300 a tournament without entry fee on items such as gas, lodging, food and whatever supplies in wisconsin. That is $6000 a year for the residents of wisconsin out of my pocket. Imagine what the proffessionals would spend when the came to wisconsin. Some of them would be here for a month ahead of time. The only positive reason i can see to leave the no cull rule in effect is so the fish don’t have the extra stress of being handled. However, there is very little information showing that tournaments have a large negative effect on bass populations as it is.

riverfan
    MN

Perch,

I hope I didn’t come across as negative to your suggestion because I’m sure it will works. My point is we shouldn’t have regulations that can’t be enforced and that set us up to fail. It causes us to become cheaters in a sport that still places value in integrity.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.