Swim Jig question

• krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

I have a few swim jigs that don’t want to swim straight. When I reel them in they do a slow swirl – spin 360 degrees. I took the trailer off to see if that was the cause and also retied to make sure the knot wasn’t causing the problem and it still does it. Are these junk or should I be able to correct it by bending the eye?

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

I also have this problem from time to time with my Homemade swimjigs. What I do is to move the skirt around alittle and that sometimes helps. I have also found that with some store bought jigs, if you reel to fast they will spin in circles.

Jeremy

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Karl. You may want to make sure that the hook eye and hook bend line up straight. Also make sure the skirt is uniform all the way around the head. Sometimes a bulky knot may also cause water deflection and cause the jig to turn. Hope this helps.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

all of the above and make sure your trailer is tail down and rigged right on the “seam” of the grub

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Karl,

I didn’t think to mention this the other night, but is your trailer on with the tail down? As mentioned above, put the trailer on with the hook right through the seam.

Curt

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I had the same problem and it was just the allignment of the grub for me, check it out, easy fix.

Darin

brovarney

If it was one of mine I would want to see it so I could figure out what was up.

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

Thanks for the info guys! Brovarney, it’s not one of yours. Yes, the trailer is hooked with the tail down & through the seam. I’ll check the alignment of the hook & also check the skirt to make sure that nothing is out of whack.

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

Try this- It could be that your weed guard is to long .Cut it shorter so its just above the hook point.Also remove some of the fieber guard all togethor. This will take a finger nail clippers to cut it as close to the head of the jig as possible.Take your time and remove them and take your finger and brush the guard towards the hook until it has just enough pressure to get thru the weeds ok.Takes a little tryle and error.I’ve ruined a few so don’t feel alone if you do also. If done right the jig will swim as stait as a arrow. GOOD LUCK.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

If you hook the tail up on the seem will the jig tend to rise up and not run completely horizontal but more of a vertical rising action? when i use grubs on my jigs i always run them tail down but i could see that if you could get more of a vertical rise or keep the bait closer to the surface with the tail up that that could benefit in some situations like fishing over submerged grass or other vegetation…

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys! Brovarney, it’s not one of yours. Yes, the trailer is hooked with the tail down & through the seam. I’ll check the alignment of the hook & also check the skirt to make sure that nothing is out of whack.

Or you could quit wearing that Cub’s cap!

Your twirly jig did a good job on Monday. Why mess with a good thing?!?

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

The twirly jig caught a lot of fish, but not big enough fish!

As far as the hat goes, I will never give up on the Cubs! I’ll be wearing a Cubs hat all the way to my grave!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Who says you have to use a grub? There’s a handful of great jig trailers out there.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Blue!! shhhhh

Tail up makes them run all out of whack..they usually just randomly start to roll. I have seen some people rig the grub to the side, and they caught fish, but I caught many more fish that that person at that time. don’t know if it was my luck or his grub. If anything its a confidence issue. if I don’t have the grub perfect, I’m not comfortable about it.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I agree, there are a lot of great trailers out there, I mostly use a grub but have been known to experiment with a lot of different trailers, when he said with the tail down and on the seem i figured he was talking about a grub so thats why i brought up a grub.

brovarney

Quote:

If you hook the tail up on the seem will the jig tend to rise up and not run completely horizontal but more of a vertical rising action? when i use grubs on my jigs i always run them tail down but i could see that if you could get more of a vertical rise or keep the bait closer to the surface with the tail up that that could benefit in some situations like fishing over submerged grass or other vegetation…

By hooking the tail down the butt end of the jig tends to run slightly higher than the nose. When you hit something (and dont stop the retrieve which will cause the bait to roll on it’s side” The Butt drops making it easier for the nose to slide over what ever you hit and maintain the swiming action.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

OK I see it now, thanks Dan
    Nick

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.