Pool 8 report

• greg

Got out on Pool 8 today and only had 1 striper!! Hit the wingdams with a variety of lures and had several more hits on surface baits, but couldn’t hook ’em. Appears to be very tough out there. Anyone else have any luck? BTW, is there anything out there to fish besides visible cover that might produce in tough conditions? I really need some new spots. It seems like it’s always live and die by rocks.

greg

Ha, went out again this evening, planning on jigging a wingdam with a grub and crawler. I ended up throwing the Pop ‘n Image again, but this time focused on the calm water above the wing dam. I just worked my way down it and made casts parallel to the riffle and nailed 4 bass + a few more hits. I’m now convinced that that calm part is the best area. It’s much better to thro parallel like this than to sit below the wing dam and drag baits over the top and on to the downside (this does work, too, of course)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi Greg

Hougie and I have been fishing pool 8 the last couple of nights after dark and have taken a bunch of nice bass on rattle traps. Believe it or not the best action has come from 10 PM -midnight and these fish are relating to wingies and rock shelves with a good amount of current running across them. We’ve been able to come up with a few nice walleyes during these trips, that is the real focus of our efforts, but more often than not when a fish has nailed one of our baits, its turned out to be a bass. You might want to stick around after the sun goes down if your schedule allows!

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

HI Greg

Got some more pol 8 bass info for ya’….

Hougie and I spent some time diggin around in the Goose Island area on Sunday, targetting walleye of course, and talked with 2 or 3 boats with bass anglers that were taking a bunch of fish by working plastics at the front of the islands that seperate the cuts. There’s usually a bit of deeper water on the fronts of these little strips of land and the bass were laying right in there waiting for a meal. Mostly smallmouth with an occassional largemouth.

I was quite surprised at how much water we had to work with down there. No problems navigating and we could basically run wide open all the way down into Goose. As always though…. use caution if you’re not as familiar with the area as Hougie is.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

greg

Thanks for the tips James! )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.