April 22, Pool 8

• Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I went out this morning looking for walleyes, but stumbled across a pod of largemouth below Dresbach. The first two came off a wingdam I was casting plastic to where I was expecting to find the ‘eyes. I was on the windward side of the channel and noticed something wreaking havoc on the baitfish next to shore. I threw a DT-6 right up next to the trees and landed a bass on the first cast. I probably caught a dozen LM’s and one northern. The two fish off the dam were 14-15 inches and most of the others were shorties. It made for a fun morning.

The run back to Muni Harbor was a bit rough with the wind!

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

bass on wingdams in April, that is sweet dude, nice report and pic.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

That must have been really early in the morning because I don’t see the massive whitecaps. Congrats on the fish!

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

That must have been really early in the morning because I don’t see the massive whitecaps…

All the fish came between 10 and 11 a.m. so it must have been a temporary lull in the wind. Much of the morning the wind was strong enough to blow me upstream against the current. It certainly took drifting and dragging for walleyes out of the equation.

The fish were certainly ready to eat though. The guy next to me was hammering some good-sized crappies with a jig and minnow and the boat on the next wingdam was catching a lot of fish as well. I’m assuming he was catching bass.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.