SE MN Small river Smallies

• JimW
    SE MN

We are a week away from the start of the annual hunt for large Root river and it’s tributaries smallmouth!

Year in and year out, fall has produced the most fish over 18 inches! They become increasingly aggressive as they group up more before winter. It is almost like they are involved in a game to see who can find the food quickest, roaming in attack squadrons. When smallmouth are in these squadrons, they are very competetive!!! More often than not the largest fish will attack first, not like during middle summer when the smaller fish out swim the “sows”!

Lower, clearer water offers exciting “spot sight” fishing! Begin with high flash lures to locate these pods of aggressive fish, then throw plastics amongst the hungry warriors! Time for some very heavy rod bendin’!!!

Good luck!

Jim W

JimW
    SE MN

I didn’t mean for my original post to scare people away from talkin’ about smally fishin’!!! I know there are quite a few of you out there that fish the Root and other “smaller”(smaller than the Miss. that is) rivers for smallmouth. I’m ALWAYS willing to learn new ways to slay bronzies, so let’s hear how everyone is doing and what seems to be working for ya! Otherwise, I’ll just keep my trap closed and put on my cyber eyes!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

well Im thinking of trying some of that “frog colored” dynamite that “Hawger” was talking about… with the water low and clear.. and the fish in tight packs… well… Im sure you can see the advantage of it!! LOL…..

ok… ok… seriously? this IS a great time to nail the smallies…. I should even consider getting out somewhere for just that…. I used to hit the Miss between clearwater and Monticello right now through september…. awesome smally fishing….. got some really nice eyes too…

JimW
    SE MN

Rivereyes,

I have heard many a report that the section you referred to is “dynamite” this time of year. I would love to explore it sometime! Nothing like putting on some waders and fishing the Mississippi!!! Jim W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yep… the action CAN be EXPLOSIVE…. and you dont even need dupont spinners!!

JimW
    SE MN

WOW!! A new picture!!! It’s kind of like getting a new drivers license photo eh?? Now you don’t look like such a cyber vamp! LOL!!!!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

guess this one show I CAN survive sunlight…. even if it DOES hurt my RiverEyes…..

WillB
    Minneiska

RiverEyes:

They cut off your number!!!!!! All the pictures I’ve ever seen like that always had a number

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah.,…. I think your right… I guess it means theyve got my number??

its funny my first pic was DARK….. now this one is light… maybe I should go for a third one.. which will be JUST RIGHT!

JimW
    SE MN

After fising a favorite smallmouth stream Saturday, my bleek attitude towards the recent slow smallmouth fishing changed drastically. Nothing large, but the bite was consistent all day. The smallmouth did not take slow presentations like my favorite plastic crawfish, nor did they show interest in a faster moving/twitching rapala. They really liked the yellow “bumble bee” spinner by Rooster Tail. I have found the best small river/stream weight for a rooster tail to be a 1/6 oz. This is perfect for slower retrieves, riding at the ever so sweet level all of the way back to my feet! However, I can only find that weight at Cabelas. Otherwise i’ll use the 1/8 oz.

So, with a slower more methodical retrieve, the smallmouth were hitting!

After, a VERY slow summer, this is a wonderful sign!!!

Also, I was bonused awith 16 inch browner along with a flash by a GIANT brown, easily 5 pounds!!!!

Get out now! Now and up until the leaves prevent much successful spin fishing is killer smallmouth’n!!!

Good luck and keep the rods bendin’!!!!!

JIm W

JimW
    SE MN

Just an FYI, I won’t have the opportunity to report on SE MN small river or Root river smallmouth and trout for a week or so. I finally get to take a long over due vacation up Nort, fishing with family! So for those of you who walk the water and talk the talk, please keep the bass info coming in. I’ll try to hop on and see how things are going!

It’s tough to head up North when smallmouth fishing is beginning to “peak out”, but can’t pass on walldog fishin’ in Sept!!! See ya soon

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.