Strange Day

• riverfan
    MN

Today I had two weird things happen. I was fishing a shallow flat on Lake Pepin when my wife called. I stopped doing everything for about two minutes while I talked to her. When I stepped on the trolling motor peddle to move, a 14-15” smallie jumped out of the water and landed on the trolling motor bracket. That’s at least 1.5 feet above the water. The fish flipped and fell back in the water. It jumped a second time and hit the top of the gunwale, skidded don it for 3 or 4 feet and back in the water. All I can think of is he wanted to ride in a good boat….a Ranger.

About an hour later I’m cast a spook to the point of one of the piers on the lake. There are half dozen gulls on the rocks and flush when I cast. My spook hits the water and immediately raises back into the air. One of the gulls flew into my line and is flying away. The gull knows something is wrong and circles back at me. I’m thinking this is going to be interesting when the gull hits the end of the line. Fortunately, the line slides of the bird so I don’t have to figure out how to land a gull. That should do me for the rest of the year.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That Smallie heard you were the man and just decided to give up.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Gulls are fun, but if u want a real fight, fish crows with a treble hook and bread. Definitely sharpens your netting skills

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

John. Last weekend I threw a swim jig and a swallow grabbed it in mid air and carried it off for about 15 feet. I had a good friend of mine said he was prefishing for a tournament and heard a flopping noise on the back deck of his boat, there was a 2lb smallie flopping around and flopped back into the water. Strange things happen at times!

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Great story, John… of course, we know you are a “fisherman”…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Maybe 25 or so years ago, I was fishing with my cousins son, were in the boat, tight to shore catching little gills. He wasn’t paying attention, and a blue heron dove under his rig, grabbed the little sunny that was on his hook, and swallowed it whole. I spent the next 40 minutes, reeling in a full sized heron, got it next to the boat and cut the line. This thing was POed, to say the least…

big g

lax79
    La Crosse, WI

This one day….at Band Camp.. You guys are hilarious. I don’t know why, but that stuff never happens to me. Oh wait, I am a fisherman. That stuff always happens to me.

riverfan
    MN

Crows & blue harons I can visualize it now.

krisko
    Durand, WI

A few years back I was fishing a Skitter Pop on the Chippewa River. It hit the water and I gave it a pull and had a hawk come down and hit the bait…I was so happy to see it didn’t grab it. That scared the $#%$ right out of me….

ZoomHog1
    LaCrosse, WI USA

couple years back i had a robin hit my line while it was in the air. It was on it’s way into a nearby tree so my line got all tangledd up. The bird got out and my lure didn’t.

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Last summer I was fishing a cut bank that had an exposed ledge that was about 2 or 3 inches below the water. I was casting a swimming jig right down the ledge, and I accidentally casted on the ledge only to watch a 16 inch smallie come out of the water, land on the ledge, and eat my jig. When I got it back to the boat, one whole side was covered in mud from sliding up onto the ledge. It was unbelievable to watch that fish.

Ben

Good luck on the water

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Those are some funny stories.

A few years ago my brother sticks a small pike on a jigworm and the pike bites him off near the boatside. About 15 minutes we are down the shoreline a little ways and a fish jumped right beside my front trolling motor. Out of this fish came my brothers jigworm that the pike had bitten off and it lands on the front deck. We laughed our A$$ off for nearly 20 minutes afterwards.

Up on Mille Lacs one day my wife and I were fishing smallies and a gull came down to take a look at my Pop-R and by the time he realized it was fake, his foot accidently grabbed the lure and started flying off until I ran out of line. He then plumitted to the water and I cut the line off my rod. We let him try to work on it but the gull tried to bite the lure off his foot and then he got it caught under his beek as well. Now he is struggling and pinned under water and my wife immediately starts a panic attack and makes me go over there and helps this seagull. Try grabbing a angry seagull with a pair of trebles stuck in him and convince him that you are there to help him….Ouch…

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

GOOD READING

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

last summer I was fishing with an aquantiance of mine, I gave him a scum frog and he tied it on, tossed it around most of the day with no luck on catching anything, right as I was getting ready to move, he gets a solid hit, starts fighting and reeling for all he was worth, I figured that he would give it a little play, not just horse it towards the boat. all of a sudden his line snaps and he sits down all mad. I start getting us out of the pads with the trolling motor and just happened to look down as I was lifting the motor up, there was my lure and his fish. so he technically caught something, but best thing is I got my lure back.

shane

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I had a Kingfisher carry my topwater about 20ft once.Have also seen a gull try to pick up a Zara Spook with it’s feet.

urbanrivers

How is this for an odd occurance. I was up in the BWCA several years back fishing smallies. I watched a chipmunk run down a log almost to the water line to get a nut. It sat there eating it and a northern jumped out of the water and grabbed the chipmunk. I didn’t see that chipmunk again but a little while later that northern jumped back out of the water and set another nut on the log.

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

A few years back I was flipping about a 2.5lb smallie in the boat and my line broke and the fish bounced of the side of the boat into the water. I was useing a quad shad. $10 lure at the time. The fish started jumping like crazy shaking the lure. on about the third jump i managed to get the net underhim. Def. one of the funniest moments I’ve had fishing.

One interesting thing is I was up in pamel creek one day when I was younger and was watching this snapper hang out. Then some ducks came by and sure enough he smoked one of the ducklings.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.