How to hook up with a frog?

• Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Quote:

How to hook up with a frog?

Not my cup of tea, but:
    Treat it nice even though it is a frog, buy it drinks and maybe dinner and flowers. Whisper sweet nothings in its ear.

sorry, could not help myself after reading the title. Lots of good advice here though so my smart-aleck comment might not get me banned.

Now that there is funny.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I was working it slowly with a 1-2 second pause. Is there a different way of working it that will get them to take it more often?

I usually work it just like I would a zara spook or a sammy; twitch in a steady rythm about 2 times/second.

ZoomHog1
    LaCrosse, WI USA

yes rmartin, it was funny. and what the heck is a sammy? Also, my jig ? hasn’t been answered yet.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Sammy’s are these things which empty your wallet as fast as filling up the car does…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

what the heck is a sammy?

Typically runs @ $15.99

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

what the heck is a sammy?

Typically runs @ $15.99

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

I have a completely different theory to the waiting thing. My opinion is do not wait. When you see the blow up the fish either has it or it doesn’t. The only advantage to waiting is a follow up strike may occur on a missed frog. But that scenario can be figured out during the course of a fishing day. My point being that I’ve had enough cases of fish blowing up and never returning whether I leave the bait or reel in and recast. If the fish will hit on a missed frog it will hit on a recasted frog. Well, I wouldn’t bet the farm but that is my opinion. Plus, it is my belief that if a bass wants to get your frog in its mouth it will. If the fish isn’t getting the frog then the presentation is off slightly.
    My .02
    Tbass

ZoomHog1
    LaCrosse, WI USA

good point TBASS, but what about the jig?

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Tbass,

I am not saying that I waste the rest of the morning leaving it there where I had the missed hit. but I do just twitch the rod for a few more seconds in that area before continueing the reel in. I have had alot of fish come back and hit the missed frog. then again, I have had alot of them that have not come back on a recasted on either.

shane

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

Shane,
    I agree completely. My point is that during the course of the day while fishing slop your going to learn pretty quickly if the will come back or they won’t. I certainly don’t think that your doing things wrong. I just have a different theory. All I’m saying is if the bass wants your frog and they eat it there is no reason to wait.
    Just an opinion.
    Tbass

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Zoomhog,

Pitching a jig or other lure back is the way to go in my opinion. Usually there is no need for a jig as big as 1 ounce. 1/4 to 1/2 is plenty most of the time. Usually they make a hole in the slop and it is easy for a lighter jig to break through. Plus….as a general rule…the heavier the jig……the more likely you will lose them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

“How to hook up with a frog”

You bass guys are sick!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Playing the Banjo seem to work for this dude

emover
    Malcom, IA

You got to admit the title does bring to mind an old Zappa and the Mothers song involving chickens….. we won’t go there

dave

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Except he hooked up with a pig!!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Except he hooked up with a pig!!

Didn’t we all in college
    Hook…Line…and Sinker . I was waiting for someone to catch that

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

[quote
    Didn’t we all in college

Not me man, all beautiful babies here!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Bob, you’re sick! That’s why were friends though ………………………snaggletooth

AAHHH…Snaggletooth…I think I just saw her with a bag of Krispy Creams at the bus stop on 47th and Chicago

kNelson

one thing that nobody really has talked about is open water frogging. my partner and I get a lot of fish on spro frogs walking them away from the weed edges. i even caught a smallie working the frog on a rock bank. last nite we busted a school of 2 lb LM’s in a backwater by the lansing bridge, i was tossing a white spinnerbait and my partner had a brown frog, he caught 4 to my 1. they wouldnt eat my spinnerbait bait but he’d usually get a hook up on the 2nd or 3rd blow up of his frog. they just wouldnt let that spro frog get back to the boat. i think he’s up to like 15 keepers plus 9 or 10 non keeprs on that same frog, including a 5.75 and a 4.1 on it. frogs really get the pigs..

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

It has been mentioned, but every time Blue Fleck brings it up JC threatens him…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

It has been mentioned, but every time Blue Fleck brings it up JC threatens him…

Ain’t that the truth. I still bear the marks from that verbal assault…

I LOVE open water froggin’!! It’s replaced my drop-shot abilities…

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Tbass,

most of my missed blow-ups are do to me moving the frog as the fish is lining it up. so that is why I leave it and just twitch it a couple more times. they usually come back, but the ones that miss or just play the frog, you know that you are better to reel in and recast to a different location. but sometimes I still try the twitch every now and them to make the frog act wounded. if that one that missed it don’t come back, I can usually get another to hit it after a couple more feet. but I have enjoyed this post, there is alot of good info here. the other lure that I like for open water top water is a skitter prop. I have usually done pretty well with that as well. don’t work to well in the slop though. too many hooks and not enough room.

seeing how we are talking about hooken fish up, I have tried many different plastics, but no avail, I am still fishless while fishing plastics. I have tried many different colors, sizes, shapes, and still can’t put together how to really get a good bite, I still try to use them everytime I go out in the boat. I have 3 rods riged for different presentations. any advice would be great.

thanks

shane

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Shane,

The Horny Toad is probably the best topwater of all.

kNelson

I’ve started using the swim frogs more and more lately, but i still am going back to the topwater frogs. I really like the mann’s hard nose frogs off the weed edges and around cover because they have an awesome action when swam below the surface.i kinda twitch them like a fluke.

as far as plastics in general go, just maybe go out a day and force yourself to use a tube all day to learn how to work it. that’s how i learned to fish swim jigs. i forced myself by only throwing a swim jig one day to learn how it works and how to use it. but for plastics, just go out with a tube someday and try different stuff and see what the fish want. some days i just dont use plastics because i dont need to. if i can get that power bite going with a moving bait i wont pick up the tube or worm.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.