Replacing a Motorguide Tour with a MinnKota Maxxum

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Does anyone know if I replace a Motorguide witha MinnKota Maxxuum, will I have to drill new holes in the deck, or will the MinnKota mount through the same holes?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Moss, you have to tell the story of why you are asking this question!!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t want to, it gives me a headache.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Take off Motor Guide, throw it in the trash, drill new holes, mount Minn Kota, be happy. Sounds simple!

Be prepared to blow through the slop as you have never done before… .

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Actually, with the Hydrilla Hacker prop, the MotorGuide busts through slop like crazy too. In fact, last night it would do it on 100% power at all times unless unplugged!

I had a MinnKota 80 Pro on my old boat and loved it. The Weedless Wedge 2 prop is awesome.

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Why not just change the one from your ranger, the cat will love it?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Because the new owner of the Ranger probably wouldn’t be too happy with me taking it back.

Thought about switching them out, just didn’t want to give up the extra 25 pounds of thrust. I guess John is glad I didn’t.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

As dnort had said, you’ll have to drill new holes…had to do the same swap on my “Cat” last year.

fluker

Taking your pretty southern boat and putting a yank-me trolling motor on it? Shame on you!!! LOL

I thought about the same thing when I got mine. I’m a MG owner and I would agree with the majority that MK goes through the weeds better. I’m talking coontail, milfoil type weeds, not slop. I don’t see too much of a difference in the slop. (I have 3 blade metal prop) However my custom cover is made to fit the MG, so that ended my quest.

So I wanna hear the reasons, Slop makes it sound interesting.

Meooowwww.

Fluker

fishnut

Actually I believe that the Minn Kota has two different bolt patterns, one of it’s own that matches the 74# and the 101#’s. The other pattern matches the Motorguides. Lake Sonic of Rochester, who sponsor me, told me that information, and by the way, quit working on Motorguides do too terrible response time, lousy customer service, and cheap parts (quality, not price). 3year warranty, 24 hour turn around on service, made in Mankato Minnesota, you can’t go wrong slop! I’m sold on them, just ask Fluker!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

There is no real exciting story behind it. We were just fishing a arrowhead cut, heading downstream, didn’t even have my foot on the pedal, when all of a sudden it kicks in at full thrust and 90 degrees to the side, almost tossing me from the boat. Before I can get to the rope and pull it up we are way up in the standing arrowhead and the motor kicked the circuit breaker from the strain of the veg and finally quit. Now basically if I plug it in it runs at 100% no matter what position the switch or dial is in. If it’s plugged in, it’s spinning maxed out! So basically we push poled around all night and got a reminder how nice it is to fish behind a foot controlled trolling motor.

Fishnut, are you saying teh MinnKota’s are made in Mankato? I did not know that. Guess I won’t be taking my motor to LakeSonic to get fixed.

fishnut

Yes, they are made in Mankato. They have a service center their that is real good to work with too. But it’s also quite a hike to get their. They promise to have your trolling motor fixed in 24 hours. Sometimes in the winter some guys call over ahead of time and drop it off early in the morning and then pick it up late in the afternoon and they will have it done. It really depends on their work load and your ability to kiss a$$. Service work by Lake Sonic has always been excellant for me and can turn it around fast too. It’s just nice I don’t have to drive to mankato to get it done. Ever notice what the guys in the grass lakes from Florida run? 90% minnkota! Northern boys ? 90% minnkota Red Neck country? 90% Motorguide It’s either the guys on grass like Minnkotas or the rednecks haven’t figured it out yet! Had to get that dig in Fluker!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You’ll have to drill new holes but if you get a mounting plate it should cover any old holes, hopefully.

fluker

Fishnut – I’m not taking you fishing on Sunday now. Guess you’ll have to stay home and mow the grass or something! Butthead!

Mossy, did you get your foot pedal wet that day? Motorguides are notorious for having faulty switches. We fished in the rain up north one day. I mean RAIN. Hardest rain I’ve ever seen for about 4 hours straight. Bilge kicked on about every 2 minutes. It was nuts. Anyway, the next morning I woke up and looked out the hotel room window and my t motor was going like crazy. The switch shorted out. After it dried out, I never had the problem again.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Nope, happened last night and it was bone dry. Maybe a wet weed or ten fell on it though.

I read on another site if some water gets in the lower unit of the motor the same thing can happen. I’ll try it again when I get home to see if anything is dried out.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

This post is getting hi-jacked so I will keep it going. I haven’t owned a Motorguide on a boat yet. (I do have a brand new 70# coming that I won and is for sale, pm me ) I have had all MinnKota’s. There service is great. I have been to Mankato many more times than I would like to have been. Point being, I am not sold on the MinnKota’s either. I have had so many problems and alot of my friends have had the same exact problems, ongoing. I think they are probably a wash. I wouldn’t be afraid to throw a Motorguide on my next boat.

crbasser
    IA

I finally wised up after having my last two motorguides in the shop more than on the boat. I have a “Cat”, and I didn’t have to drill any new holes. If you want to use the inner holes like MinnKota suggests, then you will have to drill two new holes. I used the outer holes and it seems to be fine. I am now only wondering why I didn’t go to MinnKota sooner, it cuts through the weeds so much better than Motorguide. I am now sold on MinnKota , as long as doesn’t quit working due to something internally, as with my previous two MG’s.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I replaced my previous 20+ year-old motorguide with a new one a couple of years ago. The bolt patterns did not line up, so I traced the base of the new TM mount onto 1″ marine-grade plywood and cut an adapter out of wood. I drilled the plywood adapter for both the new motor and the old bolt pattern, then mashed carriage bolts pointing down through the “boat” set of holes, and going up through the “motor” set of holes. I then cut a 1/4″ rubber pad to fit the bottom to keep the up-facing bolt heads from ever scratching the boat, mounted the board to the boat, then cranked the motor down on top. Should also mention that I painted the board black with a heavy oil-based paint to keep the water out, and have never had a problem (and also have a habit of running into rocks and trees).

Interesting side note: I was having a conversation with someone a couple of years ago and he noticed that I had a motorguide. Turns out his son works for them. When he started there (probably 12+ years ago now), there was no quality control of any sort. He instituded incoming checks on supplier parts and found that tolerances and variances were all widely being violated. After a few years, he had established what sounded like a fairly large department to manage incoming material QC, process control, and checks on outgoing product.

I always thought that was an intersting story, given how bad a reputation Motorguide has. I suppose it’s very difficult to overcome something like that once it’s established.

–Gianni out (Satisfied motorguide customer)

kNelson

i switchedfrom MG to MK on my boat when i got it, had to drill new holes.

On our Maxxum on our Lund, theres likea 3 month period in 2003 where they made faulty mother board dealies in teh foot pedal and they go crazy on 100. we just had it redone for the second time..then i shattered the shaft on a stump..trolling motor from hell..

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

cousin replaced a motorguide with a maxxum pro last year and the holes lined up. I just bought a new minn kota and the mount plate had 2 different patterns on it.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Replaced a Motor Guide last August with Maxxum 80# and 4 holes matched perfect, and now I’m fishing instead of pulling weeds off the prop

riverfan
    MN

Dan

Have you considered a Maxxum 101? I went to one this spring and I’m asking myself why I took so long. Believe-it-or-not it changes how I fish. With my 24 volt system I had consider battery life when I fished an area. An example was the last Everstart on pool 4. I had a slough that was holding some good fish in very heavy current. To save battery I had to back-slip it and guess what my co-anglers did! They had the best shot and my last day’s partner made the cut off my back deck. To add insult-to-injury he stiffed me for gas money.

With the 36 volt system I can run at or near max thrust for 8 hours and still have a little battery left.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

John:

The motorguide on it now is a 105 thrust 36 volt. The only reason I didn’t take the MinnKota off my last boat was I didn’t want to give up the 25 pounds and 12 volts. If I go with a new motor (looking likely), it will be a Maxxum 101 without a doubt. No way am I going back to 24 volts. Did you get the model with Lift assist? That is a very nice feature too.

riverfan
    MN

Lift assist is good!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.