Sight Fishing

• benotto
    Shawano, WI

I have a couple questions for some of you guys out there. This weekend I was at my cabin, and I got to do some sight fishing for largemouth which was really fun fishing. My first question is what are your favorite baits for this type of presentation?

My second question is: I saw a ton of beds with only one fish on it is that because the females have not moved up yet or is this typical (water temps were 57-60 degrees)?

Lastly, how long will you spend on a fish trying to get it to bite? Some I could get to bite on the first cast, while others would take 5-10 minutes. There were also quite a few that I could not get to bite.

Just looking for some help because I will be back at my cabin next weekend, and I hope to improve my ratio of the fish I see to the fish I catch.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ben

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I have had good luck with senkos and creature baits. It could be the males on the beds, sometimes the females will hang in the dark area around the bed if they sense danger, or they may not be up yet. Could be either one. As far as targeting bedding bass, I prefer not to when fun fishing. They get enough pressure on the lakes that I fish anyway. Of coarse that changes if I have a tourny. In that case I will spend as much time as I need to if it is big enough Otherwise, five to ten minutes.

Hope this helps

Bassman

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i to saw a ton of beds on saturday. no fish on them though

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Ben,
    I have had luck with tubes and lizards. Haven’t done a whole lot of sight fishing on the river, but have done some on the Madison Chain. Good luck at your cabin this weekend, I assume you got your boat fixed.

Looking forward to getting out fishing with you again. Oh yeh, I survived the birthday at Stout .

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

A mojo rig and drop shot work great. You can sit there and really mess with’em. I agree with bassman. I really have my issues with messing them up just for fun. But if the almighty dollar is on the line….

BrianBeebe
    Rice Lake Wi

Tubes and sweet beavers or if they are really tough a senco. Some times if you can’t get them to bite remember the spot and troll away and cast back to it. Or keep on fishing way from them then come back and fish it from a distance. And last of all fish them during money tourney or find a lake with no tourney and practice.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I am in agreance with the type of baits. The one addition I would like to make is color. I have gone to white for most of my bed fishing. It has great visibility and allows me to work beds from further away. Just my .10.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.