Favorite Line For Fishin Slop

• flick
    Alma WI

What kind of line does everyone use for hauling those bass out of the Slop??

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I use to just use mono., but I was losing to many fish, so I switched to Power Pro and losing a bass is not a common thing. Last year I was using 20 lb. test, but this year I might up it to 50, since the diameter is still only the diameter of 12 lb. mono.

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Used Mono for years but then went to spiderwire braid. Spiderwire is good for most average slop (30#) but during the regional at PDC a couple years ago, Chad from Cabela’s told me about Power Pro and I tried it. Cut through Lotus stems like they were butter. Have used it ever since. I use 50 or 60# test on a spiderwire reels. Casts great, No stretch.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I also used to use mono but have switched to Fireline the last few years. I think any of the no-stretch lines are alot better than mono. Getting that hog up and out requires a no stretch line especially on those long casts. For those of you who have used Power Pro and Fireline how do you think they stack up against each other?

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I like power pro better than fireling. My reason is that I have found that fireline frays a lot. I had Power Pro on for a good amount last season and it is not fraying.

2rivers

Fireline does fray. I would use 50# Power Pro. One important feature of superline is, you can feel the fish immediately and if you don’t you can let your bait sit instead of sending it flying by your buddy’s head.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

While I probably should try using the braided lines at some point, I’m still old-fashioned. Berkley big game 20 lb test is what I use. Never had it break.

flick
    Alma WI

I have never had any promblem with the old line i used breaking.. I just had a majority of the fish get off… With the braided lines you dont have any stretch and they dont have a chance to get down into the cabbage!

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

maybe you need to put more hip thrust into into it Maybe you just need some good practice at it!!!!

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Sports Anchor and Flick bring up some interesting points . I fish around guys all the time using big pound no stretch braid. When I go out experimenting in slop with one pole with 30# Braid and a second pole with 6# stren,(my walleye pole), with a leader for northern bite offs, I saw no difference in bringing fish to the boat. I am talking duckweed here and light pads. I was always taught by people I trusted that the forgiveness of the mono was a “given” for getting trophy walleye into the boat. Why would this be any different with bass?? When you go into the jungle,( big thick pads and brush), the mono even in much heavier test doesn’t seem to be able to do the pad cutting duties though.

Here’s where I have to ask??? Do many of you pull big bass out of pads so thick you can barely tell there is water between them. I sure see a lot of folks trying, but I don’t see a lot of fish making it to the boat. Worse yet I’ve noticed that the fish only seems to get one shot at the bait. If you move 50 feet, to more clumpy pads and the spaces filled in with duck weed the bass not only seem to get more cracks at it , but it seems much easier to go right back on some hot fish and get hit again.

The reason I’m asking is that when that I go out alone I’m out to track down large fish not just fish and if you guys that are really experienced are getting your big Bucketmouths out of those thick pads then I need to figure out how to work it more effectively.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I fish pads as thick as you described and I think you may be missing the proverbial boat on this subject. I is my belief when bess hit at a bait only once, they are looking for it to fall through canopy of pads and become a meal. When I get hit like that, most times I will leave the frog right where it lays and pitch a jumbo tube with an 1/8 oz weight on into the exact area the bass hit. Usually there is a hole for the bait to fall through. I try to “shake it” through the pads and let the weight to pull it down to the bottom where I will bounce a few times until I get hit. This can be an immensely frustrating thing to do but it works. As I mentioned in another post I put rattles in my baits. ESPECIALLY tubes and strictly for this reason. The rattles give the fish something to lock onto. One last thing to try after bouncing it on the bottom is to pull the tube up to the edge of the pad and shake it so it looks like a frog or whatever trying to get out of the water. Do not shake the bait too hard or you will pull it out of the water and that is something you don’t want to happen. Hang on, if that ol bass is in the mood he is going to crush your offering. Just don’t give up on that heavy cover. By the way, I use a heavy mono for this. The green P-Line I beleive is the best. I don’t remember the exact color name.
    Good Luck If you need anything else don’t be afraid to shoot me a PM.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Mountain Man, the forgiveness properties of mono are the very reason I opt for fireline. When you have line stretch (especially on long casts) the fish has the ability to dive back into the junk and usually snag up. I usually fish some pretty heavy slop where normally their isn’t hardly any open water. I’ve caught numerous fish where they miss the first blow but will hit again when retrieved over them. I would think that fishing light weeds or edges non-stretch line wouldn’t be quite as important but I would still prefer it over mono anyway.

To be honest with you I can’t say that slop fishing has been a big fish pattern for me. Most of the fish I get out of the slop run up to 18 inches. All my biggest bass I’ve caught in my life have come off wooded banks with current. I think weeds have a tendency to support schools of bass(usually all about the same size) but I think the bigger fish are somewhat loners.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Thanks guys. Fantastic information. Worse than “missin the boat”, I’ve been missing the fish. LOL Gonna try some of the braids above, and I can’t believe I forgot about P-Line.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

I’ve always been a little timid about using braided lines because they don’t have as much give. Isn’t there a risk of ripping the lip with braids?

2rivers

I don’t believe I lose anymore fish due to tearing out the hooks. I have noticed I put more fish in the boat. I think that after the hookset, and if you moved the rod 3 feet, you moved the fish 3 feet, she is probably up on top where you want her. I think now is the time to adjust the way you handle the fish. It used to be a man against beast struggle to keep the fish coming. Now I feel more in control sooner and work the fish through the top to the pads. I don’t use superlines for flippin and pitchin partly due to the no stretch/tearing aspect, but for slop fishing I would hate to be without it. It’s definitely worth trying.

basspack
    PdC, WI.

I switched to power pro for slop fishing last year and not only saw improvement on bringing fish to the boat, but enjoyed fishing the slop more. The cutting ability, strength and feel that I get with power pro really impressed me. I use it mostly for pitching and flipping too now. I like the conrol I have with it and like the ability to feel the bite quickly. Of course I tamed down my hookset, but don’t feel as though pulling out the hook is a huge problem for me. I prefer a sweep set. My only complaint is how fast the outer coating comes off the line, although this doesn’t seem to hamper the performance of the line. I too have a tube or other plastic ready to toss into the blow-up hole and have surprizingly good success getting hit again. I think the chance of getting hit with the plastic is a lot greater than getting hit on more casts with the frog. I have noticed it can take several cast over virtually the same spot with a frog to get that initial blow-up. Hope this helps.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey guys

What kind of rods are you guys using with the superlines/braids? I can completely understand the concerns over losing fishing due to the lack of stretch inherent with the braids. In walleye fishing, we go with long, slower action rods that supply the forgiveness needed while retaining enough muscle to move fish away from timber and other forms of cover. Curious about the bass fishing you’re doing in these situations. My guess would be, if the primary concern is getting the hook home and the fish up and out of the pads, we’re not talking slower action rods here.

Thanks in adavnce. It’s fun to sit in the background and soak all this in!

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I usually use a 7 1/2 foot flipping stick or a 7 foot pitchin stick in MH or Heavy Action. I’ve tried lighter rods but even with superlines in enables the fish to “burrow” back into the weeds. I think the explanation earlier about a 3 foot sweep to get the fish on top was right on. After getting them on top it’s basically keep pressure on them and “winch” them across the pads to the boat.

I’ve also used superlines for flipping but I think I’m going to switch back to mono for that application. I think a little stretch doesn’t hurt when working that close and handling 20 mono is alot easier on your hands than the fireline.

BASSTRACKER1
    Iowa

IF YOU WANT THE ULTIMATE FEEL TRY BRAIDED LINE WITH A 7 FOOT G LOOMIS GLX ROD! YOU CAN ALMOST FEEL TO MUCH WITH THIS SETUP! OH AND IT WILL BREAK YOUR BANK ACOUNT TOO AS THE ROD IS AROUND $300! DONT STEP ON IT IN THE BOAT FOR I HAVE DONE THIS!

Goldenboy
    Coon Rapids, MN

After years of experimenting with flippin’ sticks, muskie rods, and inshore surf rods, I’ve found the slop rod that best meets my needs and preferences to be; Falcon Cara CC-8-710XHT. This telescopic 7’10” rod provides the length I like, a long butt that provides added leverage when they burrow down, a slightly giving tip to get those Scum frogs sailing, and the backbone necessary to both set the hook and get the fish up and coming at long distances. I normally spool up with TripleFish Silicone with no problems, but if its really nasty PowerPro works well. I’m getting anxious for summer just thinking about it…

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Blue Fleck…

I like how you dictate what the fish are telling you.
    I will say that I listen to this as well but once a couple tell me they want it under the canopy I make a switch to a ½ or ¾ oz jig and punch it through. I then meticulously work the area to pull any takers. I often them resume looking for pods of fish.

For either presentation I like 80 lb whiplash. It is fairly thin for the line weight I use and I do not fear ripping lips or tearing large holes into the fish. I pair that up with a Curado SF and a 7ft St Croix Med Heavy.

I like the ability to pull fish from the canopy without having to enter the environment and spook other fish. This also allows me to eliminate the potential if the fish coming off during the fight. What typically happens is a quick up and out followed by a swing to the boat. Easy deal.
    When I go dunking with a heavy jig I allow the fish to eat the jig and turn. Once this happens I need to be able to pull the head around and back out the hole I entered from.
    Yep 80lb is what I need.
    Jc

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like the 50 pound Power Pro myself. I’m usually using either a 7 or 7.5 foot heavy action rod, but I have a 7 foot M/H spinning rod that I spool 30 pound Power Pro on for my wife that works pretty well also. She pulled a 28 inch Bowfin out of HEAVY slop with that setup, though I did have to go in about 10 feet and get it for her in the net. Those Doggies are one mean, primative fish!! Never really had a problem with ripping off lips with the no stretch line, but it sure helps in gettting the bass’ head up and out of the crap in a hurry to get him to the boat, and it cuts through pads like a razor.

Anyone else notice sometimes fish are just piled up in the slop and very aggressive, while on other days, with very similar river and weather conditions, same time of year, the same slop seems totally devoid of fish? It’s one of the toughest patterns year to year for me to get a grip on. Maybe I’m just a bit slow though. )

By the way, 2 of the last 3 years, my biggest largemouths of the year on the river have come on plastic frogs in slop. It is, IMO, the most fun way to fish bass. Maybe not the most consistent, but awfully fun.

GoldenBoy, I saw that rod in the Falcon website. It doesn’t say it it telescopic on there, but I am really interested in it. I love the Cara rods.

Goldenboy
    Coon Rapids, MN

Moss Boss, the 7’10” Falcon Cara does telescope. When collapsed it is 6′. I have really been impressed with it and am getting a second for this upcoming season. Can’t wait for warmer temps.

bucketmouth1

I have a question? Does these superlines wear grooves in the eyelets on your rods? I use the Daiwa rods that don’t have the eyelets. The inside of the rod is like the riflings on a gun and I was wondering if these superlines would affect them. Any response would be appreciated.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I am unsure however I would not chance it. Buy a cheap 7ft med heavy rod from Cabelas Bargin Bin and you will be very satisfied.
    jc

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

have used no stretch mono from when i have been bass fishing and i never have had a problem losing fish.however, when i use to use stretch i use to lose fish, but i think that most of the no stretch line ends up being pretty good overall.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Power Pro has coating on line will not cut grooves in guide the coating allows for smooter casting I prefer 65 pound test 16 pound diameter pick some up you will love it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.