How do you fish an extremely flooded river?

• kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I’ve been preparing for weeks for the ABA National Championship. It is being held in two weeks on the Red River at Shreveport, LA. I’m starting to feel it will be postponed but if it isn’t hurricane Rita is going to seriously affect things.

The storm will be long gone but if the weather man is right it might park just up river for 3 days and drop 18″ of rain next week. If this happens the river will be extremely high and fishing will be tough.

I could use some ideas to add to my own. How would you tackle a tournament when the river is fast and out of it’s banks?

My thoughts are to look for a cleaner creek, possibly find a hidden lake that normally isn’t accessible from river, or to just go as shallow as possible and fish the trees and brush, but I admit I have not spent much time in conditions like this.

ripper

Seriously?

With all the $#^% that is going to be going on down there, namely everyone without homes and jobs, you are posting this, worried about fishing a tourny?

Sorry for the rip, but this seems in poor taste.

Good luck though.

herb
    6ft under

Ease up a bit buddy. Everyone sympathises with the folks down south, and there is only so much we can do to help them, but the world didn’t stop turning because of stormy weather. And I’d almost bet there were a few opportunistic souls catching catfish in flooded New Orleans a couple weeks ago.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Ease up a bit buddy. Everyone sympathises with the folks down south, and there is only so much we can do to help them, but the world didn’t stop turning because of stormy weather. And I’d almost bet there were a few opportunistic souls catching catfish in flooded New Orleans a couple weeks ago.

And this is a fishing/outdoors website. I agree with Herb. Ease up.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Ripper

What do you want us all to do? drop everything in our lives and just sit glued to the t.v.? Please tells us what you think he should do.

His post isn’t in poor taste, but your response is. Those people may be displaced, but they aren’t destitute. They, like all Americans, are strong willed and will move on..

The rest of us do too

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Back to the post

Quote:

My thoughts are to look for a cleaner creek, possibly find a hidden lake that normally isn’t accessible from river, or to just go as shallow as possible and fish the trees and brush, but I admit I have not spent much time in conditions like this.

You are on the right track…another thing i would look for are sloughs or backwaters off the main channel, but are void of current. Might also look for Marina’s too?

I’m sure flooding down there is different than the Miss and if you do end up fishing something w/current, fish TIGHT to cover.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

OK well I can tell how you got your screen name. LOL

Anyway we are bringing over 600 anglers, their families and their money to Louisianna. I’m sure much of that money will help some families recover not to mention the monies ABA and our anglers have donated to help those affected.

We took care of that first and now it is time to fish. Yes I am concerned. I’ll lay out over $1000 to compete here and that a big chunk of change to my family. So I’d like a legitimate shot at winning some money, a portion of which I’ve pledged to the recovery in addition to some I have already given.

I take no offense to your comments and you are entitled to that opinion but this is, after all, a fishing forum. I am concerned and I’ve done my part but I won’t observe a year of not fishing just to show solidarity because it would help no one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.