Crankbait Hooks

• Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Anyone have a chance to test the new David Fritts Scorpion Treble Hooks last year? I’m looking to hopefully lose one or two less fish on cranks this year . The concept seems to make a lot of sense. For a look, go to http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/icast2004.shtml and do a find on ‘Scorpion’.

illinois

Cal Although i havent read the article I remember last year Fritts still loosing a few fish in a tournament on them.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Once again I have to go with experience on this one… Gammie round bend number 4 and 6 have accounted for more fish in the boat than anyone would believe. I have experimented with about every brand on the market and have to say that these are by far and away the best out there. I have not tried the Scorpion but I suspect another close but no cigar attempt at the ranks of “overall best”. I will give them a shot and get back to ya but I will say that myself and a few close friend always cut off the factory trebbles and replace them prior to even putting them in the water.
    jc

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Jeremy, couldn’t agree with you more on replacing the factory hooks. I’m a Gammie fan too but I’m always looking for a way to tip the odds a little bit more in my favor. Most days, this isn’t an issue. But then there’s that occaisional day when you drop a bunch and you’re left standing there scratchin your head. If I can get my hands on some, I plan to put the Scorpions to the test this year.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC… do you put a #6 on the mid-section of the crank and a 4 on the rear end? Or, do you refer to the 4 and 6 sizes in general and depending on the overall size of the crank put a 4 or 6 on it? Or… I know I need more

Hey – what do people think about the Standard Treble Hooks as opposed to the Extra-Wide Gap Trebles by Mustad or Gammy? I tried some EWG Gammy #6 on my Model A Bomber’s last year… I was impressed. I am curious about others experiences?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Kinda depends on the crankbait. Typically 4’s on both. 6 on some special areas or heavily wooded areas.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Hey – what do people think about the Standard Round-bend Treble Hooks as opposed to the Extra-Wide Gap Trebles by Mustad or Gammy?

I am planning on re-hooking my new cranks for the season, and am interested in others opinions on this matter… Looks like I need some patience…

alans
    Waterford, WI

I don’t use crankbaits as much as I use too, but im gonna switch a lot of my crankbait hook over to the wide gap, and give them more water time this year. I’ve heard good things about them, now it’s just going out and trying it.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Round bend is by far the best in my opinion. The EWG’s would be find if the point did not curve back towards the shaft.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC… I respect your opinion… allow me to inquire… I tried the EWG on a couple this past summer and found less hang-ups… I attributed it to the fact that the hook points *do* angle back into the shaft. I did not experience any less hook-ups, in fact, from my perspective I believe I saw an imporvement.

Now, my experience is very LIMITED, and this is why I ask… Why do you see the point angling back in as a problem?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

For small fish the EWG is a great hook but tie into some 4lb smallies and think of the pressure applied to the hooks. The hooks are made to grab skin but after the initial penetration the hook pressure turns pointing back in. If the initial penetration was not deep into the skin you will only have a skin hooked fish which is much more susceptible to tearing out. With the round bends they continue to dig into the flesh further and not turn back out as easily. Think of the ewg as locking once pressure has been applied and the round bend as continuing to dig deeper. It all lies in the physics of how pressure is applied to the hook point from the differing angles.
    Jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Makes sense… probably why the 4#ers lie in the bottom of your boat while I pick up the 13.75 inch fish…

A picture for those who think visually… or visualize…

Speaking of visualization, anyone else had a bad dream since Sloppy place the vision of his naked bum jumping into the river?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

You can Visualize me and Moss bringing in about 7lb’s on opening day baby!!!

alans
    Waterford, WI

Im sure D-Nort will have dreams about SLOP jumping out of the boat naked, and im prertty sure SLOP won’t be the only one WET after that dream.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Basinal… LMAO!!! Okay, that might have been one of the best posts of all time… THANKS for the laughs!!!

Slop…who says MossBoss will let you “grace” his boat?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Who says we’ll be using his boat?

alans
    Waterford, WI

Anytime RG, and there’s more where that came from.

Aint that right D-Nort………………. “L” for Looser!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

“Makes sense… probably why the 4#ers lie in the bottom of your boat while I pick up the 13.75 inch fish…”

Ryan:

Hate to burst your bubble, but changing the hooks won’t get any more 4 pounders to bite than your current hooks!!

Slop, are you expecting? A due date on a new boat???

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Mossboss, Slop was expecting. He just called to tell be that he delivered a beautiful baby boy. He did mention that it was a tad larger than most newborns though. Here’s a picture…

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Seriously though, I lean in either direction concerning round-bend vs. EWG trebles. I used to insist on EWG on my crankbaits. That was what sold me on the Bandit crankbaits. I really liked the triple-grips. However, lately I have been leaning more toward the round-bend gammies. Oh yeah, I’m also impressed with the VMC round-bends. Buy a $10 Bagley Balsa and you’ll see what I mean . If they can stick to the fish’s mouth half as good as they do my hand, they’re going to be great.

– d-nort

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Speaking of sticking to hands… the blasted Lucky Craft Hooks I believe actually REACH OUT and grab you…

Anyone know what brand they are? Can you buy them?

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Ive seen lucky craft hooks on ebay including silver, black and with feather/tinsel. As for the type- (Quote from website): “Lucky Craft hooks are made by VMC, chemically sharpned by Daiichi Hook of Japan”

Not sure if standard VMC or Daiichi would be the same, but you are correct- they are good hooks. One reason it isnt so painful to pay 10-14 bucks a crack- you dont have to put two new 75 cent trebles on them.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

By the way, sharpened must be spelled wrong on the lucky craft site.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Im sure D-Nort will have dreams about SLOP jumping out of the boat naked, and im prertty sure SLOP won’t be the only one WET after that dream.

Those are some bad images, Al!

alans
    Waterford, WI

That was wrong…………..MY BAD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.