Barnes TSX vs TTSX

• jake47
    WI

I’m finally seeing some factory loads available in .270 with the solid copper TSX or the solid copper ballistic tipped TTSX. Curious what others preference is?

I’m specifically looking at 130 gr for antelope, deer and maybe elk, but remember seeing some excessive fragmentation when using Winchester ballistic silver tips a decade ago. Perhaps this isn’t an issue with a solid copper core.

deertracker

I shot the TTSX’s in both .270 and 30-06 this last fall. I also shot the Ballistic Silvertips before these. I shot 3 deer with the 30-06 and had good luck with two of them. Dropped one deer in its tracks at about 120 yards, made a bad shot on a trotting deer at 250 but had lots of blood and shot one at 200 that was a little high. Left only specks of blood but only went 30 yards. Had to do a follow-up shot.
    DT

deertracker

I should add that I only had to make minor adjustments to my scope from the silvertips. Both guns grouped less than an inch at 100. I will use them again this fall.
    DT

ajw

7mm-08 120 ttsx. Shot was 190 yards ish. Through both front shoulders. Bullet found just under the hide on the off side

Attachments:
    1. 6BA097B8-B275-4F33-8A02-06C7C172A224.jpeg

2. 4574041C-0C49-4FCC-83D9-7589EA29A274.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Use which ever one patterns the best in your rifle. I use both tsx and the ttsx in a dozen 270’s. Impact wise, both perform outstanding. I’ve found consistent the 130gr in 270win and the 140gr in the 270wsm have ground Ed best for the rifles I load for. I test out to 1000yrds or 900 meters

jake47
    WI

Thanks all for the info!

Use which ever one patterns the best in your rifle. I use both tsx and the ttsx in a dozen 270’s. Impact wise, both perform outstanding. I’ve found consistent the 130gr in 270win and the 140gr in the 270wsm have ground Ed best for the rifles I load for. I test out to 1000yrds or 900 meters

I was hoping you weighed in, Randy. I know you’ve mentioned in the past that you really like these in .270. Since I’m not in a position to reload, do you have any recommendations on factory loads to use as a starting point? I’ve seen 130 gr. TSX loaded in Federal and 130 gr. TTSX loaded in Barnes available on Ammoseek.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Since I’m not in a position to reload, do you have any recommendations on factory loads to use as a starting point? I’ve seen 130 gr. TSX loaded in Federal and 130 gr. TTSX loaded in Barnes available on Ammoseek.

The damn cost of the TSX/TTSX factor loads will make you want to start reloading pretty quickly. And cost-wise it can almost be justified based on the flippin crazy ammo prices now.

Be prepared for sticker shock.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’m finally seeing some factory loads available in .270 with the solid copper TSX or the solid copper ballistic tipped TTSX. Curious what others preference is?

I’m specifically looking at 130 gr for antelope, deer and maybe elk, but remember seeing some excessive fragmentation when using Winchester ballistic silver tips a decade ago. Perhaps this isn’t an issue with a solid copper core.

I currently load the 130 TTSX in my 270 and they are fantastic for anything inside of 420 yards or so, after which the minimum velocity to expand starts to get a little iffy. Everything I’ve shot with them has gone no more than 20 yards.

And just an FYI, the ballistic silvertips you’re referring to are essentially a Nosler Ballistic Tip (lead core) with a proprietary coating for Winchester. Two completely different bullets.

jake47
    WI

The damn cost of the TSX/TTSX factor loads will make you want to start reloading pretty quickly. And cost-wise it can almost be justified based on the flippin crazy ammo prices now.

Be prepared for sticker shock.

No arguments here. Right about $40/box before S&H. However, I’m not much of a shooter. (3) boxes of handloads from an old colleague have lasted me almost 7 years. They were a great load, just don’t like the fragmentation I had on (2) of my last kills.

I have “most” of what I need to reload besides components, but what I don’t have is time to learn the craft. I wish that wasn’t the case, and someday it won’t be, but for now, I’ll leverage my good income to buy the factory loads and save the time for more important things.

I currently load the 130 TTSX in my 270 and they are fantastic for anything inside of 420 yards or so, after which the minimum velocity to expand starts to get a little iffy. Everything I’ve shot with them has gone no more than 20 yards.

And just an FYI, the ballistic silvertips you’re referring to are essentially a Nosler Ballistic Tip (lead core) with a proprietary coating for Winchester. Two completely different bullets.

Thanks for the lesson on silvers vs TTSX! I don’t think I will ever shoot enough to be worried about shots over 420. That may change when I head west in a year or two, but I still don’t see myself being comfortable with shots that long.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Haters, you please keep comments to yourself. Seems as if people get bent out of shape on a head shots. I got a lot of bs last time I put this out here.

Anyways, below 130gr barnes tsx 270 win browning a-bolt. 250ish yrd shot. Bullet entered nostril, head cavity exploded and bone blew out lower portion of mouth. Bullet exited back of head, re-entered mid back, through backbone, and lodged in hind quarter. Original weight 130.0gr. After cleaning bullet and drying, weight 129.4gr. Two things impressed me. The absolute devastation with the increased penetration by not losing energy on first impact. The weight retention after traveling through that much bone.

I can not believe any fragmenting bullet could carry that much energy through a target that way

Attachments:
    1. CF3F85E2-7404-4960-9D11-C8DAFB5AE33D.jpeg

2. 7D652B96-D827-42DA-BDF3-A4CA4CCCA378-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.