Bait on Canadian Side of NW Angle LOTW

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Question – what are the resorts at the NW Angle and quests doing for bait if they’re crossing the border into Canada now that Canada had banned transport of all live and dead bait across the border? I don’t remember there being a Canadian resort or business to grab bait from.

Red Eye

When we were there a few years back they had a guy run it up on sled from warroad.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

When we were there a few years back they had a guy run it up on sled from warroad.

I’m asking about fishing on the Canadian side of the border. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

dirtywater

A lot has changed in 3 years, I don’t think that’s allowed anymore. You have to purchase any organic bait (live or dead) in Ontario and you need a receipt that proves it. Also if you buy bait in Ontario, only use half, go back to your lodging on the US side, voila! — it’s now American bait and you can’t bring it back across the line.

MX1825

I would think if you contact the resort that they could answer your questions.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I would think if you contact the resort that they could answer your questions.

Ok, here’s the short story made long, since I’m not going to a resort but still looking for an answer to the question. I’ll explain why.

We go into Canada to fish. We cross at Baudette and drive in to an area where bait is not reliably available. When it is available, it’s very expensive to boot. So my question about the resort had to do with wondering if they’ve found a way around the ban and if we might use the same loophole.

Red Eye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Red Eye wrote:</div>

A lot has changed in 3 years, I don’t think that’s allowed anymore. You have to purchase any organic bait (live or dead) in Ontario and you need a receipt that proves it. Also if you buy bait in Ontario, only use half, go back to your lodging on the US side, voila! — it’s now American bait and you can’t bring it back across the line.

Sorry I was thinking he meant MN side of angle fishing MN waters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.