Bait casting ice rods

• Mattias Svensson

Hi! i’m looking for new ice rods and thinking about a baitcasting rod. 26-35″ around medium power for perch/trout/walleye fishing with baits like rapala jigging rap/snap rap, perhaps some rattle baits. Spinning rods seems most common, but I want to use my baitcasters for ice fishing. What rods should i take a look at? Rods with trigger seat are of interest. I prefer quality blanks and rings (titanium etc).

Spencer Haugen

talk to tuned up customs they have a trout rod and will build it to your standards otherwise another good rod would be the precision series from them contact john burback he will get you set up

Mattias Svensson

And if I don’t want custom rods? There’s only spinning ice rods that are really good?

tucrs
    NW Metro

If you are looking at baitcaster ice rods with titanium guides, that is going to be tough to find in a stock rod. Not sure if anyone even makes anything. Baitcasting ice rods in general are not very common.

Spinning is overwhelming more popular.

We can always build one.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

There is a gentleman in Byron (near Rochester) who teaches classes in Rod building. I don’t remember his name, but he works with some of the Ag departments in area school (Wildlife & Fish type classes…. natural Resources……and if you contact one of them, they may know the name. Or you may try Mitch Burfeind, who teaches at Minnetonka High School. He may have even taken the class! They usually do open water rods, but I would think that an ice Rod could be done just as easily & just as well….to your specs!

lundojam

I love a baitcaster for dead-sticking. Set it just right and the fish gets line with very little resistance. You are right, though, trigger rods are tough to find for that purpose.

FRS

Abu Garcia VOLATILE 29″ Med, available Reeds $35, JasonMitchell MACKINAW avail.everywhere and Daiwa TRIFORCE (FishUSA) are both laker/northern rods. The nice selection is Rapala Canada, R-Type (Trigger) 22″,28″, 32″, 38″,42″, 48″. From ML to HVY. Know anyone in Canada???

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I have had clients bring up bait casters several times and after those experiences, you couldn’t pay me to use one on ice. In my opinion, you’re better off spending $30 on a Shimano Sienna, and having The guys at TUCRs make you something special to mount it on.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

These are Thorne Bros. Walleye Sweetheart 32″ in M and MH with Alconite guides. Makes the fish fight way too easy even with just 6# mono.

mozy
    LQP

I have had clients bring up bait casters several times and after those experiences, you couldn’t pay me to use one on ice. In my opinion, you’re better off spending $30 on a Shimano Sienna, and having The guys at TUCRs make you something special to mount it on.

What issues did you see with the bait casters?

Al Case

Ben, does the same ring true for lakers? Do you use only spinning gear for them as well?
    Thanks,
    Al

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.