Bait caster for kids

• Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Does anyone have a recommendation for an easy budget friendly bait caster set up for a kid? My son wants one for his 9th birthday. I love my Diawa tatulas but don’t want to spend the money. Thinking a 6 ft MH rod with a decent reel. Would like to keep it under 150$ for everything. I thought I had read somewhere a new combo came out at icast this year.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I ordered a Lew’s Mach Smashmouth SLP combo for my 12year old grandson this spring from Scheels. He loves it and after some backyard practicing he rarely gets a birds nest. I think the rod is 6’6″. It has a split handle that isn’t my thing, but he picked it out and really likes it. It was around $140 including tax.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Shimano Convergence casting rods are a steal and are pretty darn nice for a $60 rod. I use one for skipping docks and I can feel every bite, rock, or dock beam I run my lure over. Then you could spend the other $90-100 on a Daiwa Fuego baitcaster. They are typically around $110 but you can find them on sale pretty often for $90-100. Basically the same reel as the Tatula CT without the T Wing system. I have two of the Fuegos and use them often. Very solid at that price range.

I don’t have much experience with baitcasters under $100. I spend my money on reels when it comes to baitcasting setups and tend to stay on the more mid-budget level on baitcasting rods. My experience with cheap baitcasters is they are a backlashing mess even with a trained thumb.

FryDog62

I’d put more emphasis on the reel over the rod… with baitcasters I really think you get what you pay for in terms of better quality, less temperamental, etc. I agree with either the CT or Fuego – great, solid reels and tough. I have both an Abu Vengeance and Daiwa Aird and for $50 I think they are excellent rods. Would make some good combos – I’d be thrilled if I got them when I was 9 or even 59!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Thanks Mahto and Fry! Was hoping you’d both chime in as you guys know your equipment!

Lynn Seiler

Bird nests build character. And You then appreciate a good reel.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Lynn, I’ve dealt with plenty of birdsnests… hence the question for a cheaper reel for a kid that is fairly easy to cast. I enjoy my time on the water with my son, but don’t want to be untangling line all day. He’s good with a spinning rod, but wants a bait caster

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Mahto and Fry suggested some good options for the money. I would look for the cheapest rod you can get and spend the rest on the reel. You can always upgrade the rod later and there is a big difference in low to mid level bait casting reels. Another option would be to ask Grandma and Grandpa to go in on a joint gift and get him something nicer or have one buy the rod and one buy the reel.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll second or thirds the fuego. Very nice reel for the price.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Bait caster and a 9 year old. Better buy lots of low cost line until he gets the hang of it. I would also spool it with heavier line than you would normally fish. This will help cut down on the backlash some. Have him practice on calm days. start with a rather heavy weight and tighten down the brake control. Like other said – Spend most of you budget on the reel.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My 9 year old runs my bait casters, it started with him just grabbing one and casting it, to my surprise he watched me more then I knew. He’s not great by any means but he impresses me. I strickley run braid on all my casting reels.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Fuego it is! Thanks everyone. Diawa has impressed me the last couple years. I’ll pair it with a cheaper 6-6.5 MH fast action rod and some 30 lb braid I have laying around. Might stay in dads boat for skipping docks…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Fuego it is! Thanks everyone. Diawa has impressed me the last couple years. I’ll pair it with a cheaper 6-6.5 MH fast action rod and some 30 lb braid I have laying around. Might stay in dads boat for skipping docks…

I use a 6 8 MHF for dock skipping. Way more accurate with the shorter rod.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Fuego or CT still the go to for decently priced baitcasters?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you can afford it, I’d go with the CT. The only thing that annoys me with the T-wing system on the Tatulas is if you’re using a leader, you better have a thin connector knot or its going to get hung up on the T-wing guide. Other than that I think it’s the most revolutionary modification that has happened to baitcasters in 20 years.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you can afford it, I’d go with the CT. The only thing that annoys me with the T-wing system on the Tatulas is if you’re using a leader, you better have a thin connector knot or its going to get hung up on the T-wing guide.

Great point. I guess I never gave that one a thought. I normally don’t tie my leader long enough that the knot would reach the T-wing, but if tied it a bit longer I could see that happening.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My then 9 year old is now 12, and he is fantastic with baitcasters

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you can afford it, I’d go with the CT. The only thing that annoys me with the T-wing system on the Tatulas is if you’re using a leader, you better have a thin connector knot or its going to get hung up on the T-wing guide. Other than that I think it’s the most revolutionary modification that has happened to baitcasters in 20 years.

How long of a leader are u tying ?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

i just ordered 2 Hamarrs from sixgill on a 2fer deal,190.00 for the pair.
    I rea.d up on them and they are supposed to be a good reel,easy casting and back lash forgiving.Will give a report when they get here.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

How long of a leader are u tying ?

6 to 10 feet for reaction baits like cranks and bladed jigs.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Another great work horse budget baitcaster is the Lews SpeedSpool LFS. $99. Nothing fancy at all, but works great and lasts. I have a couple of these as well and have liked them.

https://tinyurl.com/25583mb6

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i just ordered 2 Hamarrs from sixgill on a 2fer deal,190.00 for the pair.
    I rea.d up on them and they are supposed to be a good reel,easy casting and back lash forgiving.Will give a report when they get here.

I have 2 of them. I have a hand full of wraiths and my all time favorite spinning reel is there dreadnaught. Very underrated equipment.
    My lykan spinning rods blow my gloomis rods out the water. But they discontinued them for some reason. I emailed Aaron yesterday asking to put them back in production

wormdunker

I will sell you a used Tatula cheap, then go find a Shimano SLX for about $80. The 610mf (if you can find one) or 610mhf. I promise you will love the rod and the reel is a tatula.

I use mostly high end rods but for jerkbaits and other crank and retrieves I have found these SLX rods to be great.

PM me if interested but dont sleep on that rod deal.

Alternatively, get to Thorne Bros now. They have Numerous rods and reels at 50% that will work great.

Tlazer

Buying a bait caster for my grandson for Xmas. Looks like spending extra on reel is the way to go. Daiwa tatula seems to get good reviews. Stupid question here about which hand for retrieval. I’ve never used a bait caster, use only spinning reels. I’m right handed, so is my grandson, and with the spinning rod I use a left hand retrieve reel. With a bait caster if your right handed is the retrieve also right handed? The tatula has an 8:1 retrieve and it looks like for right hand only. Can’t believe they would make a special reel only for left handed people since most people are right handed. Thanks all for your help, want to get it right for him.

Tlazer

I guess I should also ask, in the bait caster reels if the reel is a right hand retrieve is the handle on the right or left hand side of the reel? Maybe that’s where I’m getting confused.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Right side.

Buffalo Fishhead

Buying a bait caster for my grandson for Xmas. Looks like spending extra on reel is the way to go. Daiwa tatula seems to get good reviews. Stupid question here about which hand for retrieval. I’ve never used a bait caster, use only spinning reels. I’m right handed, so is my grandson, and with the spinning rod I use a left hand retrieve reel. With a bait caster if your right handed is the retrieve also right handed? The tatula has an 8:1 retrieve and it looks like for right hand only. Can’t believe they would make a special reel only for left handed people since most people are right handed. Thanks all for your help, want to get it right for him.

Buy a bait casting reel that cranks (reels) with the same hand as a spinning reel you use.

If you are right handed, cast with your right arm and reel with your left hand. That way you do not have to switch hands after casting.

I never understood why people crank spinning reel with their left hand but crank a casting reel with their right hand, which requires you to switch hands after casting.

Buffalo Fishhead

Tlazer

Thanks Buffalo, that’s what I thought. What confused me was looking at some different sites it appeared that Daiwa had more models available with the right hand reels (which I thought and you and Chuck verified) that the crank is on the right side. Maybe they were out of the left hand cranks. I also thought my Grandson, who is right handed and cast with his right hand would want the crank on the left side of the reel. Forgot to mention this is also his first bait caster, all his other reels are spinning reels.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.