Baffin Ice Breaker vs Snow Monster

• patk
    Nisswa, MN

So I may have to admit that it’s time for new boots. After reading old threads it seems Baffin is very highly thought of.

Anyone with experience with either of these? Can anyone tell me if they are the same height? More importantly are they taller than a traditional Sorel style pac boot? If I’m size 10.5 can I do 11’s or do I really need to go up to a 12?

My Sorels are 30 years old and need significant repair. What I really loved about the model I had was additional height. Main use is ice fishing but still walking, snowshoeing, general use. The Snow Monster looked better with more laces. However there are reviews that the laces kind of suck and by pics the Ice Breaker looked maybe a bit taller.

Not interested in Baffin Impacts. I read the issues with fitting bibs over the top. Also have access to a nearly new pair of Sorel Glacier’s so I don’t think I need that class of boot.

Chris Norlock

I would recommend the Baffin Control Max. Check them out, they have good reviews and I can say they are the warmest boots I’ve tried. A bit bulky but are lightweight and durable. Also buy a full size larger with all Baffin boots.

Sylvanboat

I bought the Eigers last year to replace my 40 year old Sorels. I am posting a cpl of pics comparing the boots. Cleats for my Sorels did not fit the Eigers. Sorels fit my snowshoes, the Eigers don’t (too big). I wear a snowmobile outfit and the Eigers tuck under the leg just fine. I picked the Eigers since I rarely fish in subzero temps. You don’t want your foot to sweat. I bot the Eigers one size larger and they fit just right. I have only used them one season but very satisfied.

Attachments:
    1. 1039272D-5836-48CF-B731-905B4E1D1FBF.jpeg

2. 170663E7-06FB-4239-9727-813945748CA5.jpeg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I would recommend the Baffin Control Max

Thanks, I looked at those and a contender. I like the lack of seams on the leather but doesn’t have the little snow gator like the Ice breaker or Snow Monster

I am posting a cpl of pics comparing the boots. Cleats for my Sorels did not fit the Eigers. Sorels fit my snowshoes, the Eigers don’t (too big).

Appreciate the pics. Think I’ll stay away from Apex, Eiger, Impact, Titan for just what you mentioned. I don’t need that level of insulation and would like to still fit in my snowshoes

Additional option, scoured the internet and found a near carbon copy to my Sorels I loved so much. https://schnees.com/extreme/ This is great news and American made in Bozeman. Bad news, I want to buy american but $350. The wallet doesn’t always agree with doing the right thing.

Sylvanboat

I loved my Sorels and I presume you do too. Another option is Ebay. They have the old and good Kaufman versions. Some of them look in good shape. I considered that too but opted for the Baffins. Good luck

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

These are the two boots I am very pleased with but I run both for different scenarios! I have had my Impacts the longest toast

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

The Titans fit the need for a wet and slushy waterproof boot toast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.