Bacon

• Richard Jorgensen

I have always cured my bacon for 7 days. This time I did 5# 7 days and 5# for 3 days. I used the recipe on Amazing Ribs and their calculator for time which was 3 days. Couldn’t tell any difference with appearance or taste between the 2. According to the website the nitrates for the 3 day should be within USDA recommendations where the 7 day could be over. Top half of pan 3 day bottom half 7 day.

Attachments:
    1. bacon.png

bigpike

Looks great! Homemade bacon!! Anyone looking for great butcher shop bacon and traveling on Hwy 70 and Hwy 13 North central Wisconsin stop at Fifield Grocery. Had there garlic bacon last week. Had to be the best bacon I have ever had! Thanks for sharing

riverruns
    Inactive

I have always cured my bacon for 7 days. This time I did 5# 7 days and 5# for 3 days. I used the recipe on Amazing Ribs and their calculator for time which was 3 days. Couldn’t tell any difference with appearance or taste between the 2. According to the website the nitrates for the 3 day should be within USDA recommendations where the 7 day could be over. Top half of pan 3 day bottom half 7 day.

Your good to go. The bacon looks excellent!!

As far as curing it, I always go 5 days minimum but the I am using a dry cure. The bellies will only take on X amount of cure. I have left them in cure up too 15 days. What makes the difference in taste and appearance, is the soak out before smoking the bellies in fresh water and the smoking. Not so much the appearance but the salty taste.

Shawn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.