Backtroller Boats

• Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Anybody on here have one of these boats? What have folks heard about them? How do they compare to comparable models of more common manufacturers? Is the customization that is offered worth going direct from a state or two away? I have a lot more questions but these would seem a good start.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t own one but I haven’t heard a bad word about them. The most common thing you hear is that John the owner does final assembly and he is meticulous in his work. Also he uses high quality hardware for hatch hinges & handles. Last they mark every wire in the boat so you know which wire runs what pump, electronics ect.

You are limited to E-Tec motors and Suzuki from the factory. BTW, the hull is laid up by the same people who do Warriors hulls. Mpls. boat show starts Thursday so John maybe hard to contact but keep trying he will get back to you.

http://www.backtrollerboats.com

FryDog62

I’m a Yar-craft Backtroller owner (16 foot model) but if I were to upgrade to the 17 1/2 footer I would buy the Backtroller Avid over the Yar-craft 1785. My reasons include: Backtroller offers a removable rear casting deck, an expandable front casting deck, and steering assist for $695. I have also heard good things about the fit and finish. Sat in one and crawled around at the Boat Show last year and plan to again.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I test fished one 2 summers ago. If I were in the market for a 17′ tiller it would be on my list. It was is a very good chop, 2′ and better here on Mille Lacs. The boat rode very high in the water and was fairly dry for a tiller. I would recommend any steering assist I could get for it if you are planning to use it in rough water, it gets tough on the shoulder. I ran the Suzuki and it trolled down nice for trolling 1.7mph.

I would upgrade the trailer if possible, not sure what they have now but the demo was on a cheap light weight roller trailer. Maybe it was just for the demo boat Im not sure.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Thanks for the comments and directing me to those other comments as well. Both have addressed many of my questions. I’ve corresponded a bit with Thelen but will miss the upcoming boat show in MSP. If I go forward, I’m probably looking at spring of 2016 so there’s time for more digging and speaking with actual owners.

pale ryder
    NULL

Since you have a year, set up some test drives this summer.
    I would go to a boat show and look at Backtroller, Tuffy Larson, Yar Craft, Lund and Crestliner and others. Then test drive the ones you like. You don’t want to spend that much and be surprised.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The design influences of saltwater boats are really evident on the Backtroller boats and that’s a good thing. It really strikes me that whoever designed the Backtrollers almost certainly has spent a lot of time with saltwater center consoles and bay boats.

Freshwater boat makers have lagged WAY behind the saltwater builders in many areas of boat design, hull designs, and build quality.

Grouse

FryDog62

Since you have a year, set up some test drives this summer.
    I would go to a boat show and look at Backtroller, Tuffy Larson, Yar Craft, Lund and Crestliner and others. Then test drive the ones you like. You don’t want to spend that much and be surprised.

PR mentions some good ones above. In the 17 1/2 range I would also suggest the Ranger 175t although its not as deep as the Backtroller and doesn’t have the removable rear casting deck. Another option, new for 2015, is the Tuffy x-190t. Okay its been out for awhile, but the hull of the tiller model has been re-shaped this year for better performance and handling. Its a longer boat than the Backtroller (19′-4″) but is almost exactly the same hull weight and takes a 90 hp. Also has the removable rear casting deck. Won’t be at the Mpls Boat Show but will be the Minnesota Muskie Festival in April.

I myself am looking at the Backtroller, Ranger and Tuffy very closely to buy in 2016. The suggestion above to test drive since you have time is an excellent one.

blackbay
    mn

The design influences of saltwater boats are really evident on the Backtroller boats and that’s a good thing. It really strikes me that whoever designed the Backtrollers almost certainly has spent a lot of time with saltwater center consoles and bay boats.

Freshwater boat makers have lagged WAY behind the saltwater builders in many areas of boat design, hull designs, and build quality.

Grouse

The company that designed the Backtroller was Smith Designs in Florida. Timm Smith has designed a number of boats including a couple of the Yar Craft models.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Thanks again for the thoughts and insights. The more I look at these and talk with people, the more I think it’s a very viable option if I elect to buy new vs. very slightly used where somebody else took the first owner depreciation on value.

FryDog62

Resale on used boats from a smaller, regional boat builder may tell you a lot on how well regarded the Backtrollers are regarded by those that bought them new. If they drop a bunch in price would not be a good indication. But my guess is because of the extra effort put into these boats that they will actually hold their value – at least in this part of the country. Time will tell…

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Correct. If I go the slightly used route, I’m not expecting to find a Backtroller…the slightly used route will most likely be other brands from what I’m hearing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.