Backing on ice reels

• outdoorguy
    Minnesota

I heard that putting electrical tape on about 1/3 of the spool of ice reels then tying braid on with a cinch knot works for a backing? Anyone have an experience with that .. good or bad? Any other backing suggestions are appreciated too! Thanks everyone!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Just tie the knot to the spool and put a 3/4” piece of tape over the knot. The entire spool full of braid can spin on the metal spool, in theory.

Seems like adding a few feet worth of tape to the reel would add more weight to it compared to line.

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Thanks Bass Thumb! What about a mono backing then the braid .. necessary for ice reels since their smaller?

Coletrain27

ive never put a backing on any ice reel and i dont think ive ever even heard of anyone do it personally

AK Guy

I tape all my braid lines to the spool. No backing needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I tape all my braid lines to tge spool. No backing needed.

Same. Both summer and winter

gary d
    cordova,il

If you use tape use hockey tape. Electric tape will leave a residue.

duh queen

Don’t use electrical tape. Over time it shrinks and will eventually, if left on too long, blow the sides off your reel. Neophyte fly fishers who do this rather than using a good braid for backing pay the price. Imagine loosing a 4100 flyreel because you cheaped out on backing. Mono will do the same thing as electrical tape, but it will take more time.

outdoorguy
    Minnesota

Thank you for all the replies and advice everyone! Awesome being able to reach out and get this much help!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t use electrical tape. Over time it shrinks and will eventually, if left on too long, blow the sides off your reel. Neophyte fly fishers who do this rather than using a good braid for backing pay the price. Imagine loosing a 4100 flyreel because you cheaped out on backing. Mono will do the same thing as electrical tape, but it will take more time.

I tie My braid and then do a single wrap of electrical tape. I’ve done this all my life with out a issue ?

acarroline

Low price mono, then braid, swivel, flouro leader

jigginjim
    Buffalo, MN. USA

I do mono as a backing, then tie on my braided line of what length I use. I do place a small piece of tape over the knot, so it won’t work up to affect the line coming off the reel.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Mono.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I use the hockey tape and do the braid direct to reel I don’t use a backing. I do usually take line off and put onto another reel every year so I don’t wear out the line on one end. You should not have to use backing for ice fishing but then again I typically run smaller reels for all my ice fishing so they don’t hold the same as an open water reel.

Tom Rawlyk

I do mono backing until there is enough for the braid to catch on, then it’s braid, after that I do a perfection loop knot on the end of the braid into a loop-loop connection with a fluorocarbon leader which has a perfection loop knot on one end as well. This is a little extreme (generally used for dry fly fishing) – it is the smoothest for getting line out and the loop to loop eliminates braid twisting up.

As for the backing lb. test, I generally like to go with 6-8lb, even with reels I’m going to use for lake trout on Superior. The smaller diameter mono catches the braid better and doesn’t slip hardly at all – the backing can slip if it’s too heavy so that’s just something to keep in mind!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If one must, mono for backing. There’s always a partial spool of line somewhere.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.