Back surgery

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Anyone had back surgery to fix a herniated disc(s)? I have two in the lower back that have gradually been getting worse for 5 years. I would like to hear how bad it was before and how recovery went. I am not looking forward to this but when my back goes out on me I’m down for a week. This last time it happened over Christmas.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

pm sent.

Hilltopper

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I was supposed to have back surgery for over 6 herniated disks 3 years ago. I went the route of chiropractor and it took 6 months of chiropractor and exercise but back back is great now as long as I keep up with my exercises and chiro once a month or so. I heard horror stories from friends who had back surgery and was fortunate to avoid it.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

before yo go under the knife, try and get an appointment with/at motion care. they are in shoreview mn. they do have a web page i believe is http://www.motioncare.com . jim olsen is a phyiscal therapist and is VERY good at what he and his crew does. he had me back to work as a full time fireman in 3 treatments after 2 1/2 months of misery and talk of back surgery. NHL players fly in from all over the country and canada for treatments, he is the head trainer for the womans USA hockey team, head trainer. it might take a while to get an appointment , but stick with it and give him a chance to evaluate you. it will be worth not having to have surgery. i see you are from albert lea, still will be worth the trip and have him take a look at you

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Had a discectomy 2 yrs ago – blew out 2 discs in the L1/L2 region. HORRIBLE pain for an entire year because I was trying to avoid surgery at all costs. Tried physical therapy, chiropractic care, cortisone shots, painkillers…everything. No dice. Had the surgery and a few chunks the size of my thumb were cut out (the chunks that were grinding on my spine) and I INSTANTLY felt better when I woke up. I could stand/twist/bend. I was up and around the very next day and it was incredible to move without pain again. Highly recommend the surgery.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

The next day??? How long was recovery time/ out of work?? I’m in the same boat as OP. 2-3 times a year it goes out on me, about a week of my wife helping me stand, putting on my socks and shoes and hobbling around to get to wor to sit on an office chair aND wheel around. Have had 3 injections, chiro, PT, pain meds (don’t phase it). Have been too chicken for surgery.

Thanks.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

First of all, My first discectomy was August of 2014. I had been in pain for years. I was scheduled for surgery in 2010 and then the doctor changed his mind and i went to physical therapy. Second discectomy was in August of 2015, The first was a success but, it did not take much to re herniate the disc. Four days after surgery i was attempting to get out of bed and I re herniated the same disc. Three weeks of sheer agony and i went in for spinal fusion Sept. 14 2015. Four screws and two titanium rods. Life will change for me. I believe that the surgeries were all a success. My Doctor termed it as ”that area of my back is just SiCK” L5-S1. It has been a long road , but recover has been good. I walk a lot and have moved on to using an elliptical to help gain strength, flexibility, and aid in repairing nerve damage. I can’t say that i would do it all over again because the pain was so great. I don’t think that i had many option other than surgery. I am almost 4 month out after surgery and it is better. I am 50 years old and am free of nerve pain. I have put on a few pounds do to inactivity. I plan on resuming my normal routines and golfing again next summer. My surgeries were performed at Mayo Clinic in Eau Claire Wi. I wish you luck. If you need any assistance let me know.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I had surgery in the fall of 2012. Literally crawled in to the surgery center, but walked out after surgery. A week off work, then no lifting over 10 pounds for awhile and I have been fine for the last 3+ years.

Did chiropractic for 30+ years to keep things going and was often in pain during that time. For me this was life changing. I know not all doctors are created with equal skills. I think I found a good one. A really good one. Heck surgery was in October and I was good enough to ride a snowmobile every weekend that winter.

https://www.midwestspine.net/stefano-m-sinicropi-md.htm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.