automatic shut off for electronics Wanted

• cheers

Not sure if such a thing exists or not but I am wanting a switch that will shut down my gps if I forget to turn it off . I have forgotten to turn off my graph a few times and it results in a dead battery. As a result my snowmobile wont start the next day. Wiring through the ignition would be a solution but I fear it may be hard on the unit as it would not be going through the normal shut down routine . Is there a switch available that would know the unit was dormant over time and shut down automatically ?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The ignition is the way to do it the gps is designed to work that way.

brandyman
    West central MN

Quick check on Amazon and found many fairly inexpensive timers. That said, it would take some knowledge to wire them in.

LabDaddy1

Just remember to turn stuff off… lol

cheers

Was told computers and such need a controlled shutdown ????

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Prior to replacing my batteries with LFP batteries, I was tired of low voltage shut down of my electronics on the dash so I bought a boost converter and installed a switch on the dash to turn it on/off. It’s been working well for about 6 years now. At the end of the day I simply turn one switch off and it shuts all of my electronics off including my Active Target and sonic hub. When I go out I have to turn the switch back on which turns on the converter and applies 14.5 volts to the electronics. I still have to turn on each individual graph unit on. As well I have a master battery switch and have developed the habit of turning that off each time I load up. I could probably remove the converter however it’s a great insurance against a low voltage situation. I would install a master switch, that takes care of everything. You can even get a master switch that will switch in a trolling motor battery to start your motor in an emergency. https://www.bluesea.com/products/6007/m-Series_Mini_Selector_Battery_Switch_-_Red

MX1825

Apparently you haven’t been in a bad spot and stranded yet. whistling

mojogunter

I know my Garmin 8612xsv has the ability to shut itself off after a set time if you don’t touch the screen. I think mine is set to shut off after 4 hours without touching the screen. I would think my solix would have that option too but I haven’t looked for that setting.

ekruger01

I ran mine to a seperate battery in teh front of my ATV, then follow a shutdown routine everytime I shut it off. I also took a label maker and put a “Shut off the graph” label right above my key on the quad to make sure I dont forget )

R Petersen

A tired battery when you call it a day will teach you how to operate the unit perfectly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.