Auger not cutting through the last bit of Ice

• KP
    Hudson, WI

I asked this question on another topic but didn’t get a response so starting it up again. I’m having problems with my old Strikemaster cutting through the last bit of ice when drilling a hole. I put new blades on it this year too and it drills great but when it gets to the point where it’s about to punch through it gets caught at the end. I make sure to lift up on it to get the shavings out and I have been on different lakes so I know what’s going on. Is it a power thing?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Try taking pressure off the auger when it is about to go through, it is taking too big of a bite.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The pitch is off. At some point the drill has likely been pounded into the ice and has caused the pitch to go out. There isn’t much you can do other than feather it as it’s breaking through.

D-Rock can adjust the pitch but it’ll never be like new. They use a very soft steel for the auger because it is durable in cold conditions. A harder steel would break in extreme cold. It doesn’t take much to bend them.

The only other thing to check is if the blades are tight and mounted correctly.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Ill double check my blades but thank you for the info!

Jeff Telander

I had one that did the same thing also after I changed the blade. ( mine was the chipper blade) turns out I mounted it on the wrong side of the auger. Top or bottom, I can’t remember. Either way I did it wrong. Put it on the correct side and it cut like a dream. Mine felt like it was going to break my wrists!

catnip
    south metro

Is the clutch slipping? Usually it will wear out before the engine.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I took to my Jiffy with a file and grinder to sharpen the blades and I messed the pitch up and it would catch the bottom of the hole pretty bad. I have since gotten a newer auger for a deal I couldn’t pass. But I’m going to adjust the pitch again with a file (no grinder this time) and get it cutting the way it should.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

D rock sells demo lower units for something like 80 bucks late in the year. I picked one up a few years ago and my auger is like new. Just a thought before you go crazy. You basically get a $30 new blade set with it..

Bassn Dan

Sometimes the ice seems to get a “tough” layer in some areas just before you break through. Even on the same lake some holes can cut fine, but others not. Be sure you clear your ice chips and make sure that you auger isn’t iced up. Give it a second to bite through and if it doesn’t give it a LITTLE more pressure while being ready for it to break through (if you push too hard it’s going to grab on break through.)

djshannon
    Crosslake

When you replaced the blades, did you sharpen the point. It makes a BIG difference how the auger works.

It may sound strange, but I use a block of wood and a piece of sandpaper (about 150 grit) to sharpen the point before I install the blades. You need to be careful to match the angle of the original sharpening.

If everything is sharp it should cut with very little down pressure.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I noticed that my strikermaster lazer did it too the last time I was out. BUT it happened when I drilled through the snow and then ice. I then tried clearing as much snow as I can to see the ice and then drilled on the ice. It went a lot smoother. Just a thought.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.