Auger Issues

• Bobby Kuennen

I purchased a strikemaster 4stroke early this season and have 2 questions. Question 1, it starts easy and idles great. It runs great wide open but when i start to run it wide open through ice it bogs down and even shuts off a lot. Sonetimes it runs perfect but more often then not it’s bogging down. Question 2, when i get to the end of the hole, just before punching through it catches and about rips my shoulders out of socket. It is really bad, to the point i dont like drilling holes cause I know it’s gonna jerk at the end. Anyone have experience with either and/or know what I should do?

Q1. I think your gas tank isn’t venting correctly and getting locked up by vacuum. Check the breather tube.

Q2. I always slightly lifted up on my drill as it neared the bottom. The blades are catching too much ice, digging in and resulting in a kickback.

Bobby Kuennen

Thank you fishwater! My question on the venting would be, would that make sense if I hold it above the ice and open it up it runs great but at soon as it starts into the ice it bogs down? I have no idea and will check it but seems like it would bog down all the time. And I will play with the down pressure next time I drill

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

When it starts to bog down take a look at the primer bulb. Is it full of fuel? If so it is not a venting issue. SM did us some el-cheapo fuel lines that come off the ports on the primer bulb not to mention there is no hose barb to keep them in place. When mine start to slip off it will suck air rather than fuel and the tell tale sign is lack of fuel in the primer bulb as well as lack of throttle response and lack of WOT use.

Also My SM likes to catch at the bottom of the hole when the ice begins to get crappy late season. Is this binding at the bottom something relatively new? Mine caught pretty good a few times yesterday and I’m fairly sore today.

Hmm. My Honda did the same thing, couldn’t drill without bogging down. Ran fine out of the hole. If i remember, it was decided to be a valve issue? Engine was replaced. Mine was an abused early unit. Is this a new drill?

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

Make sure you are always using non-oxy gas in the unit. If it isnt the venting and you are positive that you have good gas i would call up Strikemaster or H20 Outfitters and have them look at it. They are really good about getting it tuned in for you. Strikemasters seem to require a little tuning on the front end, but once you get it running great you are set for a long time!

For the jerking at the bottom of the whole you need to anticipate when you will be at the bottom of the hole and slightly lift up like stated above. That can really rip your arms if you arent ready for it!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It could also be that the pitch on the bit is a little to aggressive and needs to be adjusted. If you are close to DRock I would take it there and let them look at it.

http://www.drockicecenter.com/

Bobby Kuennen

Thanks everyone. I will look at the bulb and check the lines to make sure all are secure. It may be hard to rext now since the ice is gone in my area and it runs fine when not drilling ice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.