800’s

• sledhead
    MN Rosemount

i have noticed that a lot of you all have 800 sportsman’s how do you like them back in 04 (the year before the 800’s) we bought a 700 sportsman for the farm but grandpa retired and we never used it i think its a little big for the trails as such like a minni pick up so i mostly run our 400 explorer just wondering how others like the bigger machines

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I run a 700 EFI and love it. But by reading your post it leads me to think by size your speaking physical size. If so just be aware the Sportsmans are all the same exact size. Even your Xplorer is virtually identical in size. If you’re thinking of getting an 800 don’t be shy. If you are capable of handling the machine then there is no reason not to get it, except they like gas!

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

ya they are i was thinking like power and weight wise i think the 8s are a bit heavier than the 7s and you cant throw them around that much i havent found the room to really get on even with that 7 im a 250lbs 17 year old and i dont have a problem with handling i was just wondering if it is really that big of a deal to keep going up if you know what i mean

P.S> it seems to me im starting to bash them but really what im getting at is dad is looking at another wheeler and is looking at either an 8 or a 400 and we are kinda torn we both feel the same on the subject just getting outsiders views

another thing riverratt we went with the carb 700 and she is pretty cold blooded and wish now we went with the efi we have heard alot of great things about the efi

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, I was one of those that bought the sportsman 800 EFI. Here is the thing, it is not just for fishing or hunting or trail riding. Mine is also used for plowing a rather long dirt driveway, pulling a drag in a horse riding arena, etc. Plenty of farm work for this machine. If I did not have the extra needs, I would have went with a 500.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Just browsing Polaris’s site. There really is no difference between the 7-800 sportsman.

700 800
    Weight Dry 757 770
    Length 83 83
    Width 48 48
    Height 34 34

Tuckner has an 800 efi and that sucker is fast. It is a big machine, much bigger than my 680 (about 130lbs) Honda Rincon. He blows me away on the straights, but in the tight twisting trails I come out ahead.

With a machine of that stature if you get the 800 stuck, its stuck. Right Tuck…

Jami

eyeguide
    Prior Lake

I run the 800 EFI, and love it. Like Dave said though it’s used for an all-purpose machine (plowing, towing ice houses, logging, etc.). It is a lot of power to handle right away no matter how big you are at first, and can buck pretty hard in 4WD. In the family we have a 500 as well, and is the perfect all-around machine in my mind. Having both work’s great in most situations; especially like stated earlier the 800 gets stuck! Otherwise get yourself a good come-along! The winch is great, but I’ve been stuck to many times where going forward is not an option.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Yep, those 800’s are difficult/impossible to lift out of a rut. But, with the weight and AWD… you would really have to stick it to get it stuck. Again, if I didn’t have to use that much power, a 500 would be plenty.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Yep, those 800’s are difficult/impossible to lift out of a rut. But, with the weight and AWD… you would really have to stick it to get it stuck.

Looks like you need to come with us on a mudding trip…

Dave, did you buy any bumpers for yours yet? When tuck was stuck we were looking for places to hook the strap and clevis up to and didn’t find much. The little bracket on the front and the one on the back got a little tweeked when the honda was trying to get that thing out of the snow bank.

Jami

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, those 800’s are difficult/impossible to lift out of a rut. But, with the weight and AWD… you would really have to stick it to get it stuck.

Looks like you need to come with us on a mudding trip…

Dave, did you buy any bumpers for yours yet? When tuck was stuck we were looking for places to hook the strap and clevis up to and didn’t find much. The little bracket on the front and the one on the back got a little tweeked when the honda was trying to get that thing out of the snow bank.

Jami

Tell me when and where!!! Been itching to get out. Can only plow my driveway and race around my 5 acres so many times before it gets boring. I am still waiting on my registration to show up in the mail too. Guy gave me a 10 day permit and said I should have it before it expires. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago. Called him 2 days ago… he said it was already in the mail. Still haven’t gotten it.

Didn’t buy any bumpers… I bought the brush guard, winch, plow and tire chains. That was about it for accessories. Picked a reciever hitch and ball as well the other day.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

but in the tight twisting trails I come out ahead.
    Jami

‘Scuze me????

I don’t remember EVER looking at your bumper except when you pulled me out of a spot you were too scared to go through last weekend! (Until I went through first!

The 800 has so much power that when you get on the gas, the front end rises nicely and is a breeze to throw around on trails. And yes, it does like it’s gas.

I will be getting bumpers because the morons I drive with treat ’em like they are demo derby cars.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I was to busy pulling out people who come out with no straps or clevises…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.