Polaris 90 sportsman

• Tonto1
    W & E Wi

My mother in law purchase a ATV for the kids to ride around here property. They turned the throttle limiter down so it will only go so fast for the 6 & 9 year old. My 6 year old drove it all after noon and it ran fine. Now after a tank of gas it sputters and pops when the throttled, but idles fine. I took the plug out and cleaned it. Open up the throttle restriction and it still does it. I believe it is a new last years model which is 2-stroke. Does anyone have one of these and have had issues.

Thanks

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

clean your airfilter and change your sparkplug (it is not possible to clean a fowled spark plug) it will run fine.. pm me with any problems

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Check the fuel filter at the bottom on the gas tank, or it could be an in-line filter on the gas line. Give it a good cleaning.

Throw some SeaFoam in the tank and let the kids run the heII out of it for a few tanks. That or take off the limiter, and run it for a few miles yourself.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Was that second tank of gas you put in fresh. The reason I ask is because I manage a Polaris dealerswhip and know how important good gas is. If we dont use stabil at time of setup, they wont run after just 3 weeks. Also there is an electronic limiter on that model. Its a jumper clip on the CDI box. Drain the tank, put in fresh gas, new plug , and it should run fine unless there is contaminents in the carb. Walleyebry

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

Ok, the kids wanted to ride last night so I check the air scoop and cleaned it out. It had a little grass in the screen but didn’t to seam no big deal. I put a new plug in it. The gas that was put in it was fresh from what I was told. My kid started it up and let it warm up good. Seamed to run fine. Road it around for five and than it would pop thru the muffled again. It does this about evert five seconds or so when at about 1/4 or 1/3 throttle. In talking with the dealer the carb is factory set and they don’t even mess with them. It sounds like its loading up. Is this common with the 2-stroke?

Thanks

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I have a 2004 Sportsman 90 and found if you putz around on it real slow it tends to foul plugs. Part of that is, I believe, the oil injection is set to deliver too much oil. Speaking of that, your not mixing gas are you?

I’d say you most likely have either oil fouling or carb contamination. If it idles fine that almost rules out plug fouling. It seems your main jet in the carb is restricted and doesn’t allow the proper amount of gas flow on acceleration. Normally a slight backfire or popping in the exhaust indicates a lean condition. If you apply a small amount of choke you might be able to tell if that clears up the sputters.

I’ll include a link to my websites mini ATV section. Browse the threads and you’ll likely find some great tips that’ll help you out. Mini ATV Help

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sportsman 90’s don’t have chokes. I had an ’02 and it did it out of nowhere after running for about……. 5 hours or more. It would start to clear and bog out. Anyway, I talked to the local dealership and they said for about $70 they’d do a complete carb cleaning for me and that if these sit for any length of time, they’ll get gummy and restrict gas flow.

My best advice is to take it to a dealer. If it doesn’t run right upon delivery, it’s on their shoulders because it is supposed to be fixed. They’re the experts, let them do it.

riveratt

Quote:

Sportsman 90’s don’t have chokes.

Actually that is incorrect. They’ve all had chokes, even your 02. The early ones, like yours, had an automatic choke. In 2003 they installed a manual choke and the lever is located on the left handlebar. The early automatic chokes were unreliable and many couldn’t figure out how to properly repair them. Since they swapped to a manual choke that issue has been eliminated.

Carbs can certainly gum up. To date mine hasn’t and I’m surprised as it sits for months at a time between uses. It always fires up and runs straight away.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The dealer told us the electronic limiter will cause the pop noise thru the exhaust. The more throttle the louder the pop would become. If the limiter was removed the noise would go away, but the engine would run higher rpms.

riveratt

Good point Tonto. I’ve removed my electronic limiter long ago and had forgotten the popping from that. I rely more on the mechanical limiter if I have reason to use one at all. Any news on the OP’s original concern?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.