ATV Reviews

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Hey guys, looking to purchase a wheeler. I’m looking for sites that have reviews (good/bad) on whats available out there these days and the pros/cons of each and any personal experience you’ve had.

All I’ve found so far is the “my machine is the best”.

Thanks,

Jami

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve got an old 350 Yammy Big Bear and like it. Pros: Light weight (easy to throw around and get unstuck), no grease zerks, no belt. Cons: You have to shift, no floor boards so you get very dirty, tube racks make it hard to stack anything.

Buddy has a 500 Polaris. Pros: Fast, no shifting, nice flat racks, Cons: Water gets in belt housing and slips, many grease zerks, harder to maintain.

Buddy has Honda Foreman. Pros: low maintenance Cons: throttle cable froze up in winter.

I’ve heard good thing about Arctic Cat lately.

Good Luck,

Ferny

jhalfen

Jami, send a PM to Kevin Krumenauer (absolute2ks). He’s in that business, particularly on the service end, and can steer you the right way.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I’ve got an 01 Polaris Sportsman and that machine has been nothing shy of bullet proof. It has been through hell and back! submerged for 2 hours and rolled twice once by my buddy and it took a ghost ride down a logging road while I was in the stand. I use it commercialy for snow plowing and dragging trees around as well as a lot of hours put on it from joy riding and ice fishing. The independent suspension is really nice for rough terrain and ice thats been broken up and refrozen. I don’t have any complaints except they are heavy machines. If you are going to do any snow plowing with it, their new plows are IMO the best out there as well as all of their other cool accesories that plug into the racks. I have heard really good things about the Can Am and Yamaha Grizzly 660 too, but I plan on sticking with Polaris when its time to retire mine.

timmy

Polaris employs about 3000 people in MN, WI, and IA. To me that is also an important point.

I have an ’06 500 Sportsman – has been bullet proof. The only con is it’s size. Big and heavy. Very comfy ride, though. I bought the 60″ blade and it’ll literally plow through more than it’ll drive through. I could not be more pleased with it. The 4-way independant supension was my biggest selling point, as I have back and neck problems. The smooth ride is the best in the industry(I tested them all…lol)

Tim

big_g
    Isle, MN

Jami, just know whatever one you get, after you get it “It will be the best ever !!!” IMHO there is not a “bad” ATV out there, they are all out of business already. Just depends on what you want to use it for. I have a Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. Way more machine than I will ever use, but I have it if needed. One thing about ATV’s, they tend to hold their value, way better than any snowmobile ever built. Good luck.

big g

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

P.M. Sent

ssaall

No complaints here: ’05 Polaris 500 ATP Through hell and high water. Only one flat since I’ve had it. I’ve used it plowing snow and skidding smaller trees.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Wow, thanks for all the info, one main concern I have heard is the belts slipping if they get wet. I know I’ll be riding in mud/water a lot, so I’m really looking hard at the Hondas, no belts.

But the Polaris has a smoking deal right now, and the Can Am was pretty impressive in itself…

Too many choices.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do some internet searches. There are a few sites out there like this one dedicated to the cause. You will find lots of info. That’s what I did. The “other” local fishing site has a forum dedicated to ATV’s as well but the national sites will have more info.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Jami my buddy has 2 ploaris 700’s I ride a lot and the things are sweet and we do a lot of water crossing down here crossing trouts streams when turkey hunting and deer as well. All the experience I have had personally but not shifting works sweet!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I have had a can am 650xt since last october and so far I love it. I also have owned honda foreman and a yammy griz 660. I will not say a bad thing about either of my last two machines but, the can am just “fits” me better. I don’t feel like I’m on top of the machine….more like “down in” it. Power/torque is more than enough…I think if I had to do it over I would have saved myself a buck and went with the 500 instead….still has all the bells and whistles including fuel injection which is a must have in my book when it was -17 on winnie and my wheeler was the only one in the group to start. They are all great machines just pick the one that fits your activites.

These may help

ATV Reviews

Rider Reviews

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Jami… I have never had any belt issues with my yamaha kodiak 450… or any issues other than a headlight burnt out. I have lots of mud and water miles. I had to replace my brake pads at 2000 miles with tons of mud riding.. anyone who plays in the mud regularly knows that is phenominal. My cousin with the same machine replaced her brakes at 4000 miles where they’re trails are mostly sand… she burnt out a headlight too, only fix.

In all reality, there are lots of good machines out there these days. I have had better luck with some than I have had with others. Most of the time when machines are left stock they seem to be reliable and durable. Oversized tires, lift kits, all that fun stuff is often what causes things to break or wear down quicker.

I am happy with the Kodiak. It couldnt have taken care of us any better. I feel the extra money for a top machine in its class well well worth it. Its light, comfortable, powerful, handles well, reliable, fuel efficient.. It does well trail riding all day, playing in the mud, works hard… I have no complaints.

shaley
    Milford IA

My Dad and I both ran 500 Polaris Magnums,( traded mine for a boat) Both 99 model years Dads has gone through hell and back a couple times and no issues. Mine was also rode hard and put up wet also without issues. Both were riden in the river alot and never had a belt slip, they also preformed flawless on elk hunts out west at altitudes up to 12,000’+

Downside is parts if you need them are a bit higher than most and they are heavy machines. I have rode everything out there and rode against everything ecept Can Am and nothing could touch the Polaris. Always loved pulling Hondas through what I just went through

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Ritter and I rode the 700 & 800 Polaris, and the 700 Suzuki and Yamaha, and then the 650 Can Am XT. The Can Am…all I can say is WOW! I do not have a wheeler, but I have been riding a Honda Foreman for about a year now..So I have no brand loyalty. But the Can Am sure got my attention!!

When you grabbed a handful of throttle, you know you had something! I would say even better in pull and flat out power compared to the 800 Polaris, which I would have given second place.

I went in with the thought that the wheeler I wanted was the 700 Grizzly FI, and after riding them all, I would have to rate that one in last place.

You will pay a little more for the Can Am, but we have found it to have a better warranty, and more standard features…

Now for my question..3 dealers locally sell them. River Valley in Red Wing, Danner in IGH, and Leo’s in Lakeville.

Does anyone have any input or dealings with any of these dealerships?

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Iagree with dave on the kodiak, but they are no longer called kodiack they are grizzly now 2007 AND UP.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I should note, that I based ALL of my opinions on avilable POWER when I hit the flipper. I am a guy who likes raw power, even if I do not use it all the time. Most of the time I do, and it gets me in trouble!
    I do realize all manufacturers make great products. It is not my intention to start a “Who is better than who” debate. But if raw power and great ride mean anything here…do yourself a favor and ride the Can Am, and tell me if I am wrong.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Ritter and I rode the 700 & 800 Polaris, and the 700 Suzuki and Yamaha, and then the 650 Can Am XT. The Can Am…all I can say is WOW! I do not have a wheeler, but I have been riding a Honda Foreman for about a year now..So I have no brand loyalty. But the Can Am sure got my attention!!
    When you grabbed a handful of throttle, you know you had something! I would say even better in pull and flat out power compared to the 800 Polaris, which I would have given second place.
    I went in with the thought that the wheeler I wanted was the 700 Grizzly FI, and after riding them all, I would have to rate that one in last place.
    You will pay a little more for the Can Am, but we have found it to have a better warranty, and more standard features…

Now for my question..3 dealers locally sell them. River Valley in Red Wing, Danner in IGH, and Leo’s in Lakeville.
    Does anyone have any input or dealings with any of these dealerships?

A buddy of mine bought the big Can Am ( I believe it is an 800) and brought it over recently for me to check out. This thing is a beast. I could not believe how much power this thing has.
    Like Tuck said, it is an expensive machine but it seemed very well put together. I am usually a Polaris guy but this thing got my attention in a big way.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

River Valley in Red Wing has good people and they stand behind their sales.
    My buddy bought his can Am at the dealership in Ellsworth ( I cannot recall the name of it offhand). He said he was pleased with their service at the time of sale and their prices were under river valley’s.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

River Valley in Red Wing has good people and they stand behind their sales.
    My buddy bought his can Am at the dealership in Ellsworth ( I cannot recall the name of it offhand). He said he was pleased with their service at the time of sale and their prices were under river valley’s.

The dealership in Ellsworth is MDMA Equipment. It is on County Rd C just outside of Ellsworth.

I see Al’s Specialty in Rochester is also a Can Am dealer.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I hope it is not against the rules to post this. I happen to have a website that has exactly what your asking for. These reviews are written by the owner and operator of the machine and are not debated in the individual threads.

For anyone interested in my own opinions, most are not as I’m admittedly blunt and to the point, search the threads by Wildman. Take specific notice of my impression of the Can Am 800 that I wrote about a year ago last week. It will be found in the Can Am forum.

Back on point I’ll say this. While the brand is important to some a great dealer should be of utmost importance to most all.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No problem at all with adding that link.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I thought I read somewhere, where the frames for CanAms were being replaced. They were twisting them with the power they were running. Anybody know about this ?

big g

riveratt

Quote:

I thought I read somewhere, where the frames for CanAms were being replaced. They were twisting them with the power they were running. Anybody know about this ?

This was a big problem on the earlier models but, Can Am claim, they have it addressed. Time will tell as it was the 07’s I think they claimed the cure for. I’ll say to beware of the 400 and 500’s for sure as they had the frame with the most problems. Don’t be fooled into thinking BRP was taking care of them either. They supplied the frame while the owner was required to pay to have it swapped over at a dealer. Labor time ranged from 20-25 hours. Hardly a free frame.

Thanks for allowing my link James, much appreciated.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

This was the Bad Boy I picked up today for a super silly price that I could not believe! I got the ITP 26″ tires and gun scabbard. Winch coming soon! Plow to follow!

The kids are thrilled! It will be a fun machine for the whole family!

Thank you Hitching Post in IGH!

They did Ritter well too! I won’t spill the beans on what he got… He can provide the update there.

riveratt

Tuck you can’t go wrong with that. I have 1485 trouble free miles on my 04.5 EFI 700. It has all the power I need, all the comfort you could ask for, and I even bought sweet hot yellow plastic for it making mine a one off machine. I added 26″ Maxxis Big Horn tires and a few other subtle goodies such as hand guards, grip heaters, a mirror, and re-usable air filter. In short, I love it enough I’d marry it if the wife would let me!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Chris, did you go for the camo model ?

big g

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Nope, I got the one in the link, Black and Silver. (Matches the truck! ) Plus, I wanna be able to find it in the woods! I am getting old, and the eyes aren’t what they used to be!

Riveratt, I read your stuff, and had talked and rode a bunch of Polaris before. I know what I am getting for the most part. I understand that there is maintenance. I understand it is belt drive..I know other wheeler manufacturers pick out perceived weaknesses and try to exploit them. Just like the boat biz. But when it came down to (For me..) comfort, layout, and brute strength..I think I made the right decision.

(God, can that thing pull! ) That Rincon can darn near keep up with it at high speeds though! I don’t know how much Jami had left, but I was getting near the end of the throttle…Didn’t want to be there long during break in though.

One thing that was pretty darned impressive to me was coming up to culverts, rock piles, road approaches…One snap of the flipper, and you launch like a rocket! And it lands very smooth! So yeah, I know it weighs about 150 pounds more than most 650-700’s, it really makes up for it in the ride!

Thanks everyone!

God, I love this site!

Finny
    Minnesota

Chris, I have been kicking it around for a while know about getting an 800 or a 500 and can’t decide which on to get. I have a couple questions that maybe you could answer for me. I think I have a real good price on the table for a 800 right know and was wondering what you got one for? Did you get the standard or the deluxe model? What about gas mileage? How long does your tank of gas last when riding it hard with only a 5 gallon gas tank?
    If there is anything else you could tell me I would also appreciate it. Here is my e-mail if you don’t want to answer everything here. [email protected]
    Thanks Josh

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It’s an 800! I hope it sucks gas! If it doesn’t I am being WAAAAAAAY to easy on it!

If you have any other questions, give me a holla!
    Good luck on your choice!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.