Which 4 wheeler to buy

• lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

I getting rid of my trailriding toy, its a Scrambler 500, and getting a utility 4-wheeler. I am in need of something that will take some pulling abuse. I am aquiring a piece of property and am going to plant food plots, plant trees, removing some large trees, ect. I can only acess this area with a something small like a 4 wheeler, so a tractor is out of the question.

Ok, so I’ve decided it will be something in the 700-800cc range, but from there, I’m very undecided. I need something with a stump pulling gear and something that can handle a little abuse

I wonder if anyone has any good advise on which brand/model to go with? (I dont want to turn this into the old Ford/Chevy debate) Or, more importantly, does anyone have any horror stories from this type of use? I heard the Sportsman has a belt that likes to burn out when pulling??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

eyebuster
    Duluth

There was a good discussion about this in a post a little bit ago topic was (All Terrain Utlity Vehicles!!!) it might help if these are the type you are looking for, otherwise there will be other people stopping by to through out there .02 cents!

Oh ya Welcome aboard!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

i had a sportsman 500 and so did my dad we both had troubles with belts slipping and breaking. ihave a friend who has a yamaha kodiak 450 we use it for alot of stuff food plot related , pulling harrows , brush , 2 guys , 2 deer ect works fine never had any problems .

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Welcome aboard lunzer. A friend of mine bought a John Deere 650 cc 4 wheeler from Kohel Power Equipment in Rice Lake, WI for $5995.00 and it came with a $400 accessory package including a 2500 lb winch etc. A real workhorse that he uses exactly for the uses you listed. I personally know nothing about the John Deere line but everyone seems to rave about them that own them.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I wouldn’t go with polaris they have alot of probloms my uncles clutch is screwed up on his 500, the brakes are gone also thanks to his old lady riding with the parking brake on and on my 400 the belt keeps coming off. My neighbor has a Kawasaki prarie 700 That thing is sweet! it pushes a snow plow really good all digital gauges he hasn’t had any probloms that i have heard about!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Honda, Honda, Honda

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

Quote:

Honda, Honda, Honda

Honda has such a great rep for reliability with thier engines, I can attest to that first hand on non-ATV Honda products. Besides that, why do you say Honda? Just curious because I had been thinking Honda for that reason. ( and there’s no way I’d buy a minivan just becasue they’re reliable)

Sorry minivan people… Ok no I’m not

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Did anyone mention buy HONDA ??
    If not,, I would buy a HONDA if I was to buy one for that purpose ,, they are tuff work horses,, great company and stand behind there equipment..

HONDA HONDA HONDA

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

Oh yea, sorry to be confusing, but the IDA staffers gave me buttons to push I’m now AJ. I’ll stop pushing buttons now

I think I have this figured out now

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

JUST MY THOUGHTS…I CURRENTLY OWN A 2004 POLARIS 700..IVE PLANTED SEVERAL FOOD PLOTS, HAULED MANY LOADS OF WOOD…PLOWED MILES OF SNOW AND PULLED MANY DOCKS IN AND PUSHED THEM OUT…IM NOT A “POLARIS NUT” I OWN HONDA MOTORCYCLE…SKI-DOO SNOMOBILE…..THIS IS MY SECOND POLARIS ATV. PRIOR TO PWNING POLARIS ATVS IVE OWNED HONDA AND YAMAHA…I USE MY WHEELER FOR WHAT IT WAS INTENDED FOR…ITS NOT BABIED…I HAVE NEVER BURNT OR BROKE A BELT ON EITHER OF THE POLARIS’S..AND IF I DID, I WOULD RATHER REPLACE THE BELT THEN A TRANSMISSION THAT WOULD BURN OUT OF WHEELERS THAT ARE NOT BELT DRIVE.
    AS FAR AS POWER…THE 700 IS MORE THEN I NEED..I WILL LOOSE TRACTION FAR BEFORE I LOOSE POWER IN LOW RANGE… I PULL A DISC FOR THE FOOD PLOTS THAT IS WEIGHTED DOWN WITH 4 BIG BLOCKS AND IT HAS NO PROBLEM PULLIN IT..ON MY 2004 700 I HAVE YET TO HAVE ANY TIME IN THE SHOP BESIDES OIL CHANGES…ON THE 1994 STARTER, PLUGS, NEW RUBBER BOOT OVER SHIFTER AND THATS IT…I THINK ANY WHEELER THESE DAYS WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY BUT THAT WAS MY 2 CENTS…GOOD RIDIN…OHH YA ITS ALSO PULLED SEVERAL DEER FROM THE BIG WOODS AND HOPING TO SO AGAIN SOON….JAY

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

yamaha 660 balls 2 the walls stump jerking power
    by the way the john deers are discontuned thats why they are so cheap now

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Why Honda? We still use our 1980 something Big Red 3 wheeler. I now have a Honda Foreman, but a Rancher would be good too. If you are going to “work” your wheeler and not just ride, then go Honda.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do yourself a favor and use search. Not only on this website but on the web. It will show you many other forums with TONS of discussion. So much of the information you crave. That’s how I decided on mine last year.

schweg2
    Centuria,WI

Yamaha Grizzly or Kawi Brute Force 750
    I’d stay away from Polaris, just my personal experience.

troy_vinson
    South Beloit ,Illinois

Arctic Cat 700 vtwin or 650 h1

Arctic Cat H1 is a power machine plus you have the multirack platform for all your accesories. I put in food plot for my business, and so far my Arctic Cat has been incredible.

Plowing snow, disc fields spraying herbicides, hauling deer

for the 6800.00 you can’t go wrong.

I even have all the Arctic Cat ice fishing attachments for mine

checkout arcticcat.com

big_g
    Isle, MN

Never had a problem with my previous Polaris 500 Sportsman, or any with my current 700 Sportsman. Never owned anything else… no need to.

big g

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

Thanks Troy.

I went with the H1, I had a couple of others recommend it too. Havent even burned the paint off the muffler yet, but I’ll be sure to let ya all know how it goes after putting it to the test.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.