Polaris Chain Tension

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Looking for some help. 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 6 wheeler. Buddy just picked this up and I noticed chain was really sloppy. I said you should tighten that. Long story short he is out of town and I’m doing it. I’m a Yamaha guy and never played with chain tension. Manual says to loosen the bolts on axle and stick a drift pin thru the sprocket to engage and roll machine to desired tightness. This is the front chain. I’ve got the bolts loose and no way to get a pin in. Looking at the center of shaft I can get channel locks and pipe wrench on the cam ( wrong word but whatever it is) but it doesn’t move. This is the piece with zerk fitting. The chain to second set of wheels and axle the cam turns easy. Tried to find some info online but not much out there. Anybody have suggestion? Thanks.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Doing a little more searching this morning and read a comment that the brake caliper bolts need to be loose. Service manual doesn’t state this but will give it a try I guess. Any thoughts?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If it was a popo sled I would be able to help you.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Never have even looked at the 6 wheeler. Be careful tightening chain as it should be snug when the suspension is loaded with the average weight it will carry. To tight empty and it will wear chains and sprockets in a hurry.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Got it all adjusted fine. Both axles and chains. And yes I did it under load. The service manual doesn’t tell you to loosen the brake caliper or to load it. But when you do both the adjustment cam deal turns just fine. Dang cold riding it around though. brrr When buddy gets back from Florida he’ll be happy I hope.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.