ATV Tire Install

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

So after buying 2 front tires for my 83 Suzuki 125 ive been searching around for a place to install them. Discount Tire said they wouldn’t do it since they are split rim tires. The few small ATV repair shops have quoted me prices starting at $35 and up. What gives? I paid a little more than $100 for these tires and its going to cost me another $100 to get them installed? If that’s the going rate than I guess I will make the payment but im just surprised its so high. Can anyone confirm these are reasonable prices to install 2 front ATV tires on split rims?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

well ive called around to a few places and they are all quoting me around the same amount. Guess that’s the going rate.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just to give some perspective, Discount Tire charged me $15 a tire to swap out boat trailer rims…

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Low pressure tire are a giant pain in the Arse…. It can be very difficult to break the bead. Car tires are a breeze…..

By a changer through harbor freight and save the money…

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im going to agree with what sand-burr said. Working at an auto shop doing small atv tires can be a pain the in the butt. and even worse if they are those old school bolt together wheels with that little seal between both parts shock

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

By a changer through harbor freight and save the money…

Believe me, I seriously thought about doing this with the ripoff prices that places want now to mount tires. What cost $20-30 5 years ago is now $50-$75 a tire. Of course, tires have gotten MUCH harder to mount. Oh wait, no they haven’t.

Basically, crappie, find the cheapest place you can, but $35 might be honestly the best you can do. I totally agree, it seems way too high for the 15 minutes of work it will take to mount both tires.

Harbor Freight wanted $45 for a manual tire changer. Only storage held me back from buying one.

Grouse

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I just had 4 ATV tries done at Walmart in Maple Grove. Not split rims? $5 a tire. Std price.

Iowaboy1

if you dont have access to a tire machine,and you dont want to pay the high price which is ridiculous,try this if you are handy with a few basic tools and have the time to do so.

if you are not going to save the tire,and be careful not to cut yourself,let the air out of the tire.
    now,with a sharp knife,cut the tire across the tread down to the bead,now cut it again at an angle like a pie shape and remove this piece.
    if this is a tube type tire,plan on new tubes as you most likely will cut the tube.
    now,with a pair of side cutters,nip away at the strands of cable that make up the bead until you have it cut in two,if you are lucky,yours will be made up with cord instead of wire and will cut easily,do both sides this way and the tire will easily peal off of the rim,should take about ten minutes to do both sides if made up of wire,sooner if corded type.

clean up the rim if it is rusty or corroded.
    mix up some dish soap and water to create a lubricant,apply the lube to the bead and the rim,work the first side down with out any tools as the first side usually slides on fairly easy.

the second side can be a little tricky to get it over the lip of the rim,so using two phillips screw drivers,work the bead down over the rims lip all the while making sure the started lip is kept in the deepest part of the rim.
    use a couple of vise grips along the rims edge to help keep the tire from backing off while you work it down.
    you dont want to use straight screw drivers as you risk cutting the bead with the flat edge.

if you have trouble inflating the tire and getting it to seat,wrap a rope tightly around the center of the tread,this will most often force the beads out against the rim and let you inflate it,remove the rope as soon as the tire starts to inflate.

if you just cant get it to inflate,a tire shop should be able to do it for you at minimal cost to you as you have done the hard part.

tube type tires are a little more tricky as you dont want to poke a hole in the tube while wrestling the second bead on,use a lot of patience here.
    again,you can use vise grips along the rims edge to help hold the tire in place while you work it down.
    inflate and deflate the tube a couple of times so it will find its place in the tire,then fill to proper pressure.

note,if the tires have directional tread,make sure the new tires tread is facing the proper direction before installing it,other wise you will have to remove it,but thats easy as it has not been seated yet,just frustrating.

the bead cutting trick will work on the split rim also if they are the type that split in the middle of the rim and you dont have to unbolt the rim halves,but it makes it easier to put the tire on,just more time involved removing and replacing the bolts,be dang sure the bolts are torqued properly before inflating the tire.

I have done this several times myself in years past on about any tire out there,tractor,atv,car,you name it,just take your time,it can be done.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The farther away from the city the better. I quit getting tires serviced near the metro for that exact same reason. Pomps by my cabin does it all for so much less it seems like robbery here.

404 ERROR
    MN

Iowaboy gave a good write-up of exactly how I change mine. You can get a small set of tire irons on Amazon for $10 or less, easier than screwdrivers. Having a garage full of 4 ATV’s, paying for a tire swap gets old…especially since I like transforming my rears into clouds of smoke ;)

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Ditto what Iowa said, you can use a ratchet strap in place of the rope to squeeze the tire.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.