Atv helmet while ice fishing

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

How many guys where helmets while riding there atv ice fishing. I have been thinking about wearing one just because it is warmer then a stocking cap. I could also get a windshield for the and it would do also donthe same thing except protect my melon. I’m an experienced rider and have many miles and don’t push it. Also the atv has tracks so speed is limited.

cheers

I wonder why you would not wear one !

JoeMX1825
    MN

i never drive fast enough on the ice to warrant wearing a helmet, the only case I could see wearing one would be in a blizzard or high wind day on the ice to stop your face from freezing. I also have a cheap set of goggles and baclava and it gets the job done, less to carry as well…

Aaron Kalberer

I do not where a helmet, but thought about getting one for weather protection, and really, you only get one noggin and it doesn’t take a whole lot to wreck it. So I will be wearing one this year and from now on.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I’d wear one. You maybe cautious but not everyone else is. Worst two accidents I seen were due to someone else’s stupidity. Seen a snowmobile crash into a stationary ice shack. Good thing no one was in it because he went through both wood walls. The other an older gentleman was going up a hill on his ATV and was hit head on by a truck coming down the other side. In both cases the guilty parties were drunk and going too fast for the conditions.

404 ERROR
    MN

I do for the warmth factor being #1. Small lake and calm winds, I may not wear one. But on any large lake or with high winds, I always wear one to stay warm. A snowmobile is a different story, I always wear one no matter what. I can almost never resist the urge to crack the throttle on my 800…

dbright
    Cambridge

I always wore mine to keep the wind off after early ice. I usually don’t go far early ice and I am on and off checking the ice constantly my first few times out.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I always wear mine. Like Aaron said, you only get one noggin. I always had to wear it as a kid and it just followed me into adulthood. I’m sure everyone knows someone who has been affected by an accident that a helmet could’ve prevented. I wear a modular helmets with a balaclava. A good helmet can be had for like $60 that seems cheap for protecting your brain.

JoeMX1825
    MN

my top speed on the ice never gets over 10 mph (why do you need to go faster than that? it just destroys your equipment) I wouldn’t want a helmet on if god for bid I go through the ice…

BUT if I was going at a faster speed, then yes a helmet should be a requirement. In terms of protecting yourself for things out of your control, why not then wear a helmet anytime you go outside?

Chad Leton

I use a Save Phace (yellow low light lens) and wear a balaclava

tswoboda

my top speed on the ice never gets over 10 mph (why do you need to go faster than that? it just destroys your equipment) I wouldn’t want a helmet on if god for bid I go through the ice…

I know it was rhetorical, but I drive more than 10 mph on ice because if I didn’t then there’s days I would spend over 6 hours a day driving.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I had to look up what a balaclava was.
    IT IS A FACE MASK! chased

I wear a helmet most of the time just because it’s warm and cuts the wind. The 6×4 Gator only goes maybe Max 10 but 2 miles on the ice on a cold windy night a helmet makes sense.

Shawn30

A helmet is waaaaaay warmer, unless you have vents. If you don’t tape em closed the cold air gets concentrated to where they come into the helmet, and will burn a hole through your head into your brain.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I wear one so when I get to the shack I have a place to mix my wapatuli.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Most of the time yes, if I am just moving 50 feet at a time to punch another hole probably not.

I have seen too many stupid things happen near the ramp trying to get on or off the lake to not wear one.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I saw one Motorcycle one I think, for sale at Goodwill…women’s pink…LOL. I was so tempted to buy it for my self.

But I still have my snowboarding helmet…so…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.