ATV and Tire Chains

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you only had one set of ATV tire chains on a 4×4 ATV, would you put them on the rear tires or front for best overall traction/performance?

Or just get another set and be done with it?

-J.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rear –
    but for $30, I find they are worth their weight in gold on the front also.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’ve used them on the rear and if the ice only has a small amount of snow, it’s difficult to maneuver or make turns. Basically, the traction from the rear forced you to go straight even though you are steering left/right, the front tires do not get traction.

Are you pulling a house, Jon?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve used them on the rear and if the ice only has a small amount of snow, it’s difficult to maneuver or make turns. Basically, the traction from the rear forced you to go straight even though you are steering left/right, the front tires do not get traction.

That’s what I found this weekend. No steering. Need a little snow on Milly. Just pulling an Otter full of stuff.

-J.

404 ERROR
    MN

Rear. The way I see it, if you can’t move, there’s no need to steer. But the fronts are also important.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Francis K wrote:</div>

That’s what I found this weekend. No steering. Need a little snow on Milly. Just pulling an Otter full of stuff.

-J.

I gave up on the chains as I didn’t see the benefit when pulling an Otter sled.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Throw a couple zip screw studs in the front for turning. Or some weight on the front rack helps. Or you could try putting them on diagonally, might work.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ll offer the opposite thought…. I toss a set on the front the rare times they are needed. Figure it is like front wheel drive, get the front pulling and steering wheel and the back just helps it along. Works well for me and I get through all the snow I’ve come across. Glare ice – steering is nice.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If just on the front, will jack knife if towing easier.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If just on the front, will jack knife if towing easier.

I could see this if going down steep hills but on the flat not so much unless you are pulling a ton of weight and trying to stop suddenly..

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

It’s just physics. Any weight behind you will push the back end all over on glare ice.

Angler II

On glare ice, it’s almost impossible to steer without chains on the front at any decent rate of speed. I’ve done it on lake of the woods and it was dangerous. Chain up the fronts and you’ll be good.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Like I said, chains are cheap, chain up all four end of conversation

riverruns
    Inactive

It also depends on the ATV. Some ATV machines you cannot put them on the front. My 1998 Polaris 500 is recommended not to have them on the front because of clearance I’m told.

Ya it’s an old machine but runs like it’s new.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I have all four and you can go anywhere, added a picture of mine. I put the more expensive ones on the back with more cross chains, and cheaper ones in the front . These ones have the little cleats on the chains.

Attachments:
    1. 5AC69642-4846-4E07-AC91-244F8DBCD57D.jpeg

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I haul my atv in a cargo trailer will the chains tear up the floor and ramp?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

They will chew it up a bit. Not bad if you are careful. You can put down some sacrificial plywood or rubber mats if worried about it.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

You can add wheel spacers to make a wider base to allow chains to have proper clearance. I use them on my Polaris. Easy to put on and take off if you want.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Had a set on the rear when it gets deep for years. Got a set I ordered yesterday which were on a free postage deal and gave them a try out today. Yes there was quite a difference and with better steering.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It also depends on the ATV. Some ATV machines you cannot put them on the front. My 1998 Polaris 500 is recommended not to have them on the front because of clearance I’m told.

Ya it’s an old machine but runs like it’s new.

2013 Artic Cat 500 does not have enough clearance for chains on the front. The chains will tear up the front shocks when making turns. Studded tires allow one to steer on glare ice but are little help in deep snow.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Has anyone put front chains on a 2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700? There doesn’t seem to be a lot of clearance there.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Has anyone put front chains on a 2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700? There doesn’t seem to be a lot of clearance there.

Dont do it with stock 12″ wheels. If you upgrade to 14″ wheels it will be fine, the other option would be to put on some 1″ wheel spacers (4×110 pattern).

Otherwise the chain will hang up on brake components.

Ice Cap

I have been considering going with studs rather than chains as I don’t have the front clearance for chains and wheel spacers will make it to wide for my trailer. Tight fit already. Drawback to studs are expense and having to put on and take off around 200 of them every change of season. Here are the ones I was looking at. You can buy much cheaper ones but they most likely won’t last a season.
    https://www.motosport.com/grip-studs-atvutv-tire-studs?variant%5BGRP0002%5D=GRP0002-X001-Y001#askandanswer

deertracker

I have used the shortest sheet metal screws with no issues. $10 at your local hardware store. waytogo
    DT

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Drawback to studs are expense and having to put on and take off around 200 of them every change of season.

Guess I’ve never heard this before. (removing the studs and then reinstalling them) Another set of wheels with non-studded tires would be my choice.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.