AT&T Service

• Alex B

Renting a Sleeper out of Arnesen’s Rocky Point and was wondering if anyone knows what AT&T Data service is like there. I was going to bring a hotspot for the kids to stream movies at night. Any info helps. Thanks!

toddrun

Interesting question, I have never had any issues out on Adrians road, but I looked at the AT&T coverage map and it looks like Arneson’s may be a bit sketchy.

Unrelated, they have been doing upgrades in the Twin Cities for 5G, and my local coverage went from a strong 4 bars to 1 bar at best, with dropped calls. Not a good improvement. Likely planned obsolescence to get me to upgrade phones.

Attachments:
    1. LOW.jpg

Adam Steffes

Sorry but I can’t help with the ATT coverage, but I chuckle when folks without verizon have coverage issues. I have had verizon for nearly 20 years and there is literally only one place I cannot get service where anyone else can and thats southwestern Illinois. Everywhere else, ND, SD, MN, Wi, IA, if I can’t get data, nobody else can either! Obviously in a big city there are many options, but seems like rural areas are dominated by Verizon. I use them regardless of what they charge because it actually works in the places I like to go.

CaptainMusky

Sorry but I can’t help with the ATT coverage, but I chuckle when folks without verizon have coverage issues. I have had verizon for nearly 20 years and there is literally only one place I cannot get service where anyone else can and thats southwestern Illinois.

ATT has much better coverage in the Iron Range area and up toward the BWCA. I have Verizon and lost all coverage in Orr. My friends had ATT and they had cell service still in Crane Lake while I still had nothing.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have AT&T and had cell service up there but did not try to use data. My buddy was streaming music in the shack and I think he has them also. As for Verizon being better I’m not sure my AT&T works almost everywhere I have been.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I have AT&T on my cell and a Verizon MiFi hotspot. Both worked out about 3-4 miles from Pine on Wigwam’s road. I used my cellphone as a hotspot for connecting my laptop for work (including video calls) and the MiFi for connecting my personal laptop and streaming Xfinity, HBOMax, Netflix, and Disney+. Had perfect results with both. Had about 4 bars on my cell for AT&T, 2-3 bars for the MiFi (3 bars if I stuck it in the windowsill). This was just over 1/1/21.

Scott

Coletrain27

Sorry but I can’t help with the ATT coverage, but I chuckle when folks without verizon have coverage issues. I have had verizon for nearly 20 years and there is literally only one place I cannot get service where anyone else can and thats southwestern Illinois. Everywhere else, ND, SD, MN, Wi, IA, if I can’t get data, nobody else can either! Obviously in a big city there are many options, but seems like rural areas are dominated by Verizon. I use them regardless of what they charge because it actually works in the places I like to go.

i have verizon and on red lake last weekend i got very poor service. once i was on land it was great but 4 miles out not so great. but i agree i hardly ever have service problems with verizon

toddrun

Verizon and AT&T are about equal, all depends on where you are at. Both have better areas and both have bad areas. Areas in SE MN are terrible with Verizon but OK with AT&T. And it is different per state as well. Out West, Arizona, Nevada, Verizon seems to do better than AT&T.

Ultimately, on Red and LOW, they don’t put towers out on the lake, so the further out, the worse it has to get.

Adam Steffes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Adam Steffes wrote:</div>
    Sorry but I can’t help with the ATT coverage, but I chuckle when folks without verizon have coverage issues. I have had verizon for nearly 20 years and there is literally only one place I cannot get service where anyone else can and thats southwestern Illinois.

ATT has much better coverage in the Iron Range area and up toward the BWCA. I have Verizon and lost all coverage in Orr. My friends had ATT and they had cell service still in Crane Lake while I still had nothing.

This would be the 2nd place I have heard of. I have been through between Duluth and LOtW without coverage issues but it must go bad NE of there. We have had luck with Verizon modems up in the iron mines but that may be very localized support. Never been to the BWCA but definitely on the list!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Hence why most all emergency services in MN use Verizon. That said, even though Verizon may “work” in most areas, they may not be as strong as others, meaning data use could really struggle but talk and text would work fine.

Riverwader

For most of these locations there may only be one tower covering the area and that tower with a busy weekend can become over loaded with users on the data side of things. Think of water line being big enough for a house and then 30 people come camp in your yard and want water service, more people slows it way down.

CaptainMusky

This would be the 2nd place I have heard of. I have been through between Duluth and LOtW without coverage issues but it must go bad NE of there. We have had luck with Verizon modems up in the iron mines but that may be very localized support. Never been to the BWCA but definitely on the list!

TBH I was shocked! LOL, but I asked my buddy about it who lives in Virginia and I was with, he said yeah ATT is better there. Their phones were literally going off while I was in dead zone. FOMO for me LOL
    I do have issues for a small area around Upper Red, and along the East Side of lake Winnie, but I think that is because of the towering pines by Winnie. Its maybe a mile or 2 stretch.

OG Net_Man

If you have Netflix then you could download some movies to your device. You can watch them later with out any cell service. The movie selection for downloading is a bit limited.

If you do not have Netflix then it may be a good time for a 30 day trial.

Alex B

UPDATE: We are about a mile out from the resort and have been able to stream using AT&T. Verizon would also work as well.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

UPDATE: We are about a mile out from the resort and have been able to stream using AT&T. Verizon would also work as well.

Good deal! Last year I was twenty miles from Pine Island and had great service with Verizon.

Adam Steffes

I had good luck both out of Arnesens and out of Zippel Bay on Verizon

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.