Ashland Wisconsin

• Jensen

Never fished here before bit my buddy wants to head up there this weekend for brown trout and walleye. Any advice on tactics or hows the ice snow conditions are. Any help is appreciated.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Last I heard the lake side near the ice caves was around 3-5 inches, I would guess they have a bit more in the bay. Hasn’t been a good ice year.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

You can drive on much of the bay on the Ashland side. Mixed bag of walleye, perch, northerns and browns. Good but rough ice between Washburn and Bayfield. Some days outstanding for browns and a few rainbows…other days very slow. Talked to numerous people who were off the Washburn Coal dock today….fishing towards Houghton point and they said the bite was tough. Need to get a day or two away from full moon.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Never fished here before bit my buddy wants to head up there this weekend for brown trout and walleye. Any advice on tactics or hows the ice snow conditions are. Any help is appreciated.

Jensen:

Know where you’re going!!! Right now the strong NE wind from this last storm yesterday blew the ice out of the South Channel east of Bayfield. So from Long Island to Houghton Point north of Washburn is open water!!!

Therefore go to River Run or Anglers All, both in Ashland or another bait shop that will tell you sound conditions for the Bay (Chequamegon), then go fishing as there seems to be a foot of ice on the bay SW of Long Island into the Bay. Please do not hesitate to call me at this number (715.892.6926, I’m likely to not pick up the first time, please leave a message with a time to call, then I’ll call you back) if you are serious about going. Be prepared to look at a map while we are talking too.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I will also say you can’t get better info than from Mr. Beeksma!!!

Mark

CC

Last i heard was anything north of houghton point started to break apart. I’m hoping to get a few more trips in a well so hope the cold snap will come back!!!

Jensen

Thanks guys as soon as I pull up a map plan on a phone call Mark. I appreciate the help and input from you all.

Jensen

What kind of rod and reel setups does everyone use. Will walleye gear work? Will a 36 inch meat stick medium work for browns?

Jensen

Appreciate the help Mark in the call, wish you luck in the tournament my friend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.