Getting kids “Hooked on Fishing”

• arklite881south

If I were to credit one thing to keeping me on a somewhat “Straight and Narrow” path in life it would be the introduction which turned to a passion for the outdoors. Whether that be walking side by side with my dad chasing feathered friends or standing shoulder to shoulder with my grandpa chasing fish!! One of my greatest joys in being a licensed Captain here on Rainy Lake is thinking that I may contribute even the smallest part in passing on some of that desire to the kids that I have the chance to fish with each year. In this day of hustle and bustle with both parents HOPEFULLY working, and often working a couple jobs I hope we as role models continue to make the time to slow down. Rip the kids of the couch, and take them “UP NORTH”. I know as a youngster the simple anticipation of heading to Northern Minnesota kept me focused. Those drives up north, and filling my tackle box prior to our trips are fond memories for me. As we all know ANTICIPATION is 50% of the deal, so those trips to the tackle shop and Studying fishing clips are lots of fun too!! Slipping that boat in the water of course was the pinnacle of the summer vacation. Beyond just heading north and fishing becoming an accomplished angler gave me something to take pride in that little did I know would be such a big part of my life today. The learning aspect of the sport is what seems to hook kids for a lifetime!! It is when they learn something, and become pretty darn good at it that they seemingly start taking pride in what they are doing. Ever notice that most people don’t enjoy things they aren’t any good at?? Teaching kids along with taking them ensures the future love of the sport, and isnt that why we are all here??

As we race around the lake, and uncover patterns that produce PB’s for clients I always remember that fishing is still fun. No matter if you catch 200 or Zero!! No matter if we are in 27 below on the hardwater or 90 in the summer. The experience of hunting these big fish gets in your blood!! SO BE CAREFUL!! Sometimes we take it for granted all the things we’ve absorbed in the fishing community over the years. Take the time to explain why CPR is important. Spend a minute or two discusssing a protective slot…. If we as leaders of the sport are unable or unwilling to share some “IN DEPTH” angling knowledge our sport angling future looks dim. On the flip side if kids get Hooked the future of our fisheries could be very bright being responsibly managed with responsible anglers!!

I’ve always said that kids enjoy catching!! Now I must have been a bit of a different breed, but I could have waited in the old aluminum boat all day for them to move in. These days with crazy schedules kids seem to be a bit more impatient. I personally think when introducing kids to the sport there are a few things to keep in mind. First off take them out during the prime time. Take kids fishing when they have the best chance at success. Trust me 14 hours in the boat with one or two fish will keep the kids from ever wanting to come back!! Yet if they boat some fish, and get involved they will love it. Hand them the net, and let them get your minnows!! Anything to contribute to the day makes them feel a part of the action. Teach them to thread on their own minnows, and take some good pictures to show mom!! They will take pride in the experience, and you’ll have a new fishing buddy for life!!

In closing each year I try do a small promotion through our guide service to encourage anglers to take their kids along!! For the next 2 weeks any trips that are pre-booked over the next year will have the kids tossed in the “Daze Fish Casket” at no extra charge!!! All I ask is that we get to photo the smiles on their faces as they get strapped into the fighting chairs!! Smile kids!! Your mug is going on IDO!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great article Chris! You brought back some great memories and made me feel like a kid once again. It truly doesn’t matter what a kid catches or how big they are… every fish in their eyes is a trophy!

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

im only 14 but proud to say that im a Bass Fisherman 4 Life!!

whittsend

Quote:

im only 14 but proud to say that im a BASS Fisherman 4 Life!!

Ouch, sorry to hear that….

Just kidding. I caught my first pike around age 2, and never looked back…

UncleJack
    Pleasant Prairie, WI

Hey Chris :
    Yes a great article. I have always taking my daughters and nephews fishing and they all still have a great time and enjoyment. Now I’m starting on the grandchilden. Uncle Jack

arklite881south

Quote:

im only 14 but proud to say that im a Bass Fisherman 4 Life!!

Well we’ll mix in a few pike, walleyes and crappies in for ya too!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.