Overcoming Tricky Boat Control in Moving Water

• jhalfen

You may be under the impression that Drift Control drift socks are tools designed exclusively for the lake angler. If so, you may be surprised to learn that I carry Drift Control drift socks on every trip I make to the Mississippi River. There are two specific river presentations for which Drift Control drift socks are particularly important boat control tools: dragging jigs downstream in the presence of a downstream wind, and anchoring for precision casting in the presence of an upstream wind. Drift Control drift socks will help you manage these two tricky boat control situations, and in doing so, will put more fish in your boat.

Dragging jigs is a particularly effective presentation during times of seasonally low flows. In the summer, this period often begins in late May-early June, and continues on into August. During the cold water period, jig dragging often commences in earnest in late November, and remains effective until the spring thaw causes river flows to increase dramatically. One of the standard jig dragging presentations is the downstream drag, in which the angler points the boat downstream and uses a Minn Kota bowmount trolling motor to pull the boat downstream, just faster than the current speed. In summer, this downstream speed is often 0.9-1.4 mph, while in winter, this speed is normally slower, in the 0.5-0.9 mph range. It is critical that the angler manage boat speed while dragging downstream, in order to keep the dragged jigs in the strike zone, just inches off the bottom. If the boat is moving too fast, the jig will soar over the heads of bottom-relating walleye and sauger; too slow, and the jig bangs into the bottom constantly, and will eventually be lost to a snag.

Consider now the common circumstance of dragging downstream in the presence of a downstream wind. Anything more than a gentle downstream breeze will cause the boat to move too fast, lifting the jigs out of the strike zone. This is where Drift Control drift socks can help you regain control of your boat. Rather than orient the bow of the boat directly downstream, turn the boat so it is perpendicular to the current/wind. Now, deploy a pair of Drift Control drift socks on the upstream side of the boat: one near the bow and one near the stern. When the bags open and fill with water, they will act as a “brake” to offset the extra boat speed generated by the wind. This is effectively the same use that Drift Control drift socks see in a live-bait rigging situation on a wind driven lake. It doesn’t matter that the water is moving in a river; the Drift Control drift socks will prevent the wind from pushing you downstream too fast, and will help keep your dragged jigs in the strike zone. It is best to deploy a pair of Drift Control drift socks rather than just one, so that your boat remains perpendicular to the current/wind, rather than spinning around a pivot point that would be provided by a single Drift Control sock.

Anchoring and precision casting is a highly effective year-round presentation for river walleye and sauger. Whether targeting the edge of a sand flat for pre-spawn piggies, a deep hole in a river bend for sumo sauger, or a wing dam for a summer mixed bag bonanza of walleye, smallmouth, white bass, or whatever else the river will offer, “throwing the hook” is something that all river anglers must be comfortable with in order to maximize their catch rates. Most river anglers will anchor off the bow of their boats, even with or above their casting target.

In a calm day or in the presence of a downstream wind, the boat will normally maintain its position relative to the casting target. However, in an upstream wind, the wind will catch the stern of the boat and cause the boat to pivot around the anchor line, moving the boat away from the casting target. Even a gentle upstream wind will cause the boat to swing side-to-side, changing casting angles, causing snags, and generally making the angler’s bait presentation less effective. This is another situation where a Drift Control drift sock can help you regain control of your boat. When anchoring, the use of the Drift Control drift sock is quite simple: anchor off the bow of the boat as you would normally, and then deploy a single Drift Control drift sock off the stern of the boat. The sock will fill with water moving downstream, and will help to anchor the stern in position even in the face of a stiff upstream breeze. With the boat remaining in position, your casting angles won’t change, you’ll experience fewer snags and tangles, and your presentations will remain as effective as possible. The result: more fish in your boat, because you have regained control of your boat with a Drift Control drift sock.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Throwing out a big drift sock when anchored and faced with an upstream wind works so well you’ll never double anchor again once you try this. No more getting blown upstream and away from your carefully selected target! There’s no anchor at the back of the boat for fish to tangle in and they weigh… just about nothing compared to a big river anchor.

Excellent article and tips, J.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Just bought the 60″ model that came with the float buoy harness, this thing is great compared to my old vinyl one. Forecasters were predicting 30 knot winds for Saturday, which never came through, thankfully.

I had some guys looking over my Skeeter ZX225 this weekend and they had never seen a drift sock. I guess they don’t use them on Bassmasters.

I have never used a sock in current applications before, such as Jason’s post. Thanks for the the info.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Jason,

I have always used the different cleats on my boat to move it slightly to help cover a wingdam or other piece of cover. I.E. cleat at center, flows with current, right of left cleat will swing the boat either direction.

Can you still do this with the sock, or will the sock negate some of the benefit of anchoring this way?

Thanks

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks Jason, I had never thought of this but will definitely give it a try. I was of the old school thinking that it was difficult to use them in current situations but I will have to be more open-minded.

Thanks again for the great tip!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Jason,

I have always used the different cleats on my boat to move it slightly to help cover a wingdam or other piece of cover. I.E. cleat at center, flows with current, right of left cleat will swing the boat either direction.

Can you still do this with the sock, or will the sock negate some of the benefit of anchoring this way?

Thanks

On days with a strong wind capable of blowing you upstream against the current when one might consider using a drift sock the technique you mentioned, tying off on the port to slide starboard and vice versa, isn’t going to work. You just end up getting blown where the wind sends you. That’s when the drift control bag comes into play. On days when the wind is coming downstream or at a manageable velocity there’s no reason to use that drift sock and the boat positioning technique you referenced works very well.

The reason for anchoring, as you know well, is to maintain excellent boat positioning relative to a small area and the drift sock will allow an angler to achieve that when the wind is blowing the boat around. However your question is a good one in that you won’t be able to alter your boat position by tying off on opposite cleats with the bag out. The bag goes where the current goes and so goes the boat.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Great read. Thanks for the info Jason.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Great article, Jason. I do a lot of drifting for cats later in the season and struggle with the downstream wind. I’m going to give this a technique a shot – it sounds like the perfect approach for what I am doing.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks for the clarification James

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.