Get "IN THE ZONE" for big fish this year!!

• arklite881south

With all the advancements in the fishing industry over recent years ranging from HD electronics, Global positioning, and "Heat Seeking" tackle one thing still remains a constant. Showcasing WHATEVER your presentation is at the precise location in the water column the fish are feeding at still is the most crucial ingrediant to an anglers success. The most effective method of putting your presentation in the face of the fish is with a float system. Floats, Bobbers, Corks… However you reference them, this seemingly simple technique is one of the most deadly methods for both quantity and quality of fish. The age old technique of bobber fishing continues to provide anglers distinct advantages in presenting baits to targeted fish. If you’ve abandoned, forgot, or have never fished floats best put them in your fish fooling box for THIS season. Trust me Grandpa set you up with floats when you were a little guy…. because fish were on the menu for supper!! "START PULLIN YOUR OWN WEIGHT!!" I absolutely love fishing floats for "Super Donk" slabs and freakishly large walleyes. Often times a float presentation is the ONLY method to put the smackdown on fish in Tackle hungry locations!!

Even though the concept of "Bobber Fishing" seems simple at a glance there are several key factors to consider when rigging up. Matching the float size correctly with your presentation can make all the difference between success and failure. A nearly nuetral bouyancy makes light pick ups easily detectable, and when fish feel no resistance when picking the bait up your hook up percentages are Lights out!! Thill has been the industry leader in floats for many years, and their product line continues to dominate others on the water. I fish both weighted or unweighted varieties. I am a firm believer in a weaved line like Powerpro, but will slide my slip bobber on and drop a small bullet sinker in line on top of a swivel underneath my float. On the other end of the swivel I will tie a mono leader with 4-6lb test making sure it is a lighter test than my main line. With this application I’m not spending time tracking down runaway floats should I snag up, rather am simply re-tying a hook.

When it come to Giant "Super Donk" crappies there simply isn’t a more efficient way to get in their bedrooms during the spawning cycle. Keep in mind Crappies are ALWAYS on the lookout for big pike. BTW… PIKE LIKE TO EAT CRAPPIES!! With that being said these slabs will locate themselves often times in heavy brush piles, branches and a variety of weed growths including pencil reeds. Understanding what is below the water always tilts the odds in your favor……..ADVANTAGE ANGLER!! Knowing how to fish it puts fish in the box!! When I find pencil reeds or bull rushes that are scattered I love to finesse my float through them or let the wind blow it through. If I am fishing underwater brush or branches floating that bait a foot above the cover is DEADLY. Remember that while a float system assists you while fishing heavy cover continue to work your bait by swimming, jigging or popping the presentation just as you would without a utilzing a bobber. The float is a awesome aid to maximize time "IN THE ZONE". In fact when it comes to freakishly large slabs I most often will fish a flu-flu tipped with a crappie minnow under a float and POP it. I Pop the bobber and let it sit…Reel micro slow….Pop it like its HOT…reel micro slow…let sit. This method is irresistable for big slabs in cover. LIGHTS OUT!! Not only that, but allows the angler to stay off the fish being careful not to spook the big school with your boat. WAY WAY WAY to many times do I see anglers move on top of shallow producing crappie structure. Big mistake!! I try get just far enough away that I can reach the fish with a medium cast.

For walleyes early in the year, mid-summer, or late fall float fishing for big eyes can be DEADLY!! Give me a weighted thill, hook and a leech and I’ll show you some nice fish come mid-summer. The great thing about fishing eyes on floats is that like jig fishing which I am a BIG fan of it is a very natural presentation. Here on Rainy Lake we are a structure fishermans dream….Or tackle eating nightmare!! Steep rock breaks, giant boulders… Finding the key pockets that hold fish and dangling a big minnow, leech or crawler in there kitchen is awesome. It not only affords you the luxury of staying in there kitchen, but helps minimize snagging up. The other thing that is extremely effective is when the wind creates a chop on the water you can fish that bobber with a 3/16th Precision jig and the wave action will work that jig like a seasoned pro with unbelievable results. I distinctly remember a few years back fishing a micro hump in the middle of july watching this group of tourist put the SMACKDOWN on walleyes in huge rollers where it was nearly impossible to get my boat to hold with an anchor. They were fishing floats and jigs and putting the beatdown on the monster Rainy lake walleyes while I took out my notebook!! Get yourself the best of the best when selecting your floats for whatever fishing you like to do. The great thing about the Thill line is they have a unbelievable selection of QUALITY floats. Your line flows through the floats smooth with no hang ups, and your line won’t cut through the tops. They also have a variety of profiles for viewing in big water chop of slipping through heavy cover in the spring. Lastly remember when fishing floats your looking for your bobber to act differently when detecting bites. Crappies most often will bite up simply leaving your bobber laying on its side. Walleyes often will swim your bobber sideways…. Give them the beans and tell your buddy to get the net!!

Tight Lines Team!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great read Chris! Corkin has been one of my favorite methods since I was a kid.

arklite881south

Thanks Ben,

Often times we as anglers get a bit too technical or try overthink a presentation. Truth of the matter is when it boils down to it the goal is to present a bait as naturally as possible. Floats aren’t just for kids!! Trust me I can credit 95% of my open water Super Donk slabs to Thill floats, and many nice walleyes each summer. Here are a couple other bites that I love fishing slip floats. When running into a huge mayfly hatch try soak a small piece of crawler or leech directly in the balls of mayflies you find. LIGHTS OUT!! For monster pike try soak a Dead Weighted Ciscoe just off the bottom. Don’t think for a second the biggest and baddest aren’t scavenger like in the spring. Lastly when locating big suspended eyes off mid-lake reefs try slip float a big shinner on a 3/16 precision jig at the precise location the baitfish are showing up. Very very effective!! Also this method is much more effective than trying to countdown a jig and fish it fast through the zone. Check out this “float Toad” with a freakishly large bucket mouth!! Fish only measured around 26.5 but obviously has the genetics of the next FREAK of Nature!!

matt pistorio
    Chicago, IL

Yet another informative post, thanks Daze!

where can I score me some of that Rainy Daze gear you are rockin’?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.