Article in the Strib on Minnesota fishing opener

• Ice Cap

Some of you may have already seen it. No hard info just perspectives from bait shop and resort owners of what they expect.
    https://www.startribune.com/what-the-minnesota-fishing-opener-will-look-like-is-a-question-on-a-lot-of-minds/569335082/

Kind of got me thinking. Being that ice fishing pressure was reduced this past season on many lakes with LOW being the exception due to snow and weather conditions what if the opener and fishing season was closed here in Minnesota like they did in Washington. Do you think we would notice a much more active fish population next year? What do you think the impact of no fishing for year might have? What would be some possible negative impacts on the fish and lake eco systems?

I’m not talking about economic impact just impact on the fish and lake and river systems.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The ice fishing pressure on Mille Lacs was the highest it’s been in years. DNR claims it was up 30% from normal and accounted for a significant portion of the annual quota, which also unusual.

If people aren’t allowed to fish, which I don’t think will happen, fish populations in lakes that receive a lot of pressure will see and explosion of increased species of fish, especially fish that are regularly harvested like walleyes, crappies, sunfish, etc. Bass and muskie populations will be mostly unchanged because people release them anyways.

I do think that there will be less people traveling to distant destinations that they normally would. And I wouldn’t expect the Canadian border to open up anytime soon either.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The ice fishing pressure on Mille Lacs was the highest it’s been in years. DNR claims it was up 30% from normal and accounted for a significant portion of the annual quota, which also unusual.

I have been thinking about this too. Depending on where we’re at in a month, fishing pressure on Mille Lacs could be 30% or more lower in May/June.

Just to begin, you’ll not likely have any group launch/charter boats going out.

After that, it’ll be interesting if the walleye closure will remain in effect for July?

Probably, that’s already been conceded. sad

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Have bait stores do curbside pick up for bait, keep the large group ban (no launches) and everyone continue to use common sense and social distancing as much as possible. And, those at high risk stay home.

But otherwise, I think life needs to go on at some point in time. Preventing people from doing an activity that otherwise is social distancing by nature is unnecessary and counterproductive.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

What you might see is an increase in population of game fish.
    Followed by a crash of the bait fish
    and then subsequent crashes of game fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    The <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing pressure on Mille Lacs was the highest it’s been in years. DNR claims it was up 30% from normal and accounted for a significant portion of the annual quota, which also unusual.

I have been thinking about this too. Depending on where we’re at in a month, fishing pressure on Mille Lacs could be 30% or more lower in May/June.

Just to begin, you’ll not likely have any group launch/charter boats going out.

After that, it’ll be interesting if the walleye closure will remain in effect for July?

Probably, that’s already been conceded. sad

Absolutely, doubt you’ll see launches on the lake. Bait shops are currently closed, but I believe they will re open at some point. This social distancing thing will last for a while I’m afraid.

queenswake
    NULL

I wondering if the state will shut down at least pleasure boating. It’s not just Big Island on Minnetonka, but lakes all over the states are full of boats tying up together and partying. Also, it can be hard to social distance on a busy warm Saturday around the docks as people are launching. Instead of trying to enforce the rules on this lake or that lake, I could see the state just shutting the whole thing down across the state for all boats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We are the state of 10,000 lakes, but unfortunately people only want to hit a couple hundred of them. doah

I think it will be a all or nothing shutdown.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I do think that there will be less people traveling to distant destinations that they normally would. And I wouldn’t expect the Canadian border to open up anytime soon either.

Agree that’s it’s doubtful the Canada border will open this summer. With the border being closed we’re going to see the Minnesota lakes getting a lot more pressure this open water season. Red, Leech, Winnie and LOW will see tons of pressure.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Keep in mind restaurants might not be open. Motels might not be open. Lots of things you are use to seeing could be closed this summer so nothing is given.

lindyrig79

In my most bizarre dream I guess I could see public accesses being closed. But what about private accesses and people with cabins? I just can’t see it…

Not to mention I believe you need to open up the economy by June at the very, very latest. If not I think you are looking at a Depression type situation where lots of businesses are closed permanently. I just don’t think we can or will allow that to happen.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I think bait will be a problem this year. My guess is most people will be using plastic. Might be a good time to order some. I’ve been trapping my own bait for a few years now and already getting calls from people I know wondering how much bait I usually have on hand. I don’t sell bait but I have given it away at times to neighborhood kids. I’m guessing I might need to make a few more traps soon.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They won’t close a fishing season. It is simply not feasible and Walz has been very transparent about decisions citing the Science and models from a variety of sources he uses to make decisions. There’s no data related to an outdoor isolated activity to reference to even begin making such a decision.

Will the opener look the same? Probably not. I’d be shocked if resorts, restaurants, and bars are wide open with no restrictions by then. I’d be surprised if later in the summer some launches/areas aren’t restricted to scatter crowds (St. Croix, Minnetonka, etc).

As far as the impact on fish populations themselves, I wouldn’t expect much of a change. The number of anglers making big distant trips is likely to be down. That doesn’t mean people in the metro area are just going to park their rigs for summer and pass on fishing. Instead of Vermillion, Mille Lacs, LOTW, etc. some of the local lakes will be frequented. Overall, I doubt one season of maybe slightly less harvests is going to dramatically alter a lake or river’s biological makeup.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

think bait will be a problem this year. My guess is most people will be using plastic.

I think this too.

They definitely won’t be using live bait in July on Mille lacs this season because it’s banned!

blackbay
    mn

Bait dealers are considered essential under the fishing exemption according to a DNR person I spoke with. Whether bait stores will actually be open will be up to them I guess.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bait dealers are considered essential under the fishing exemption according to a DNR person I spoke with. Whether bait stores will actually be open will be up to them I guess.

That is incorrect. An owner of a bait shop told me that bait shops are not essential. He can keep the marine repair portion of his business open but the bait shop is closed until April 9 at 5pm (at least).

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

That is incorrect. An owner of a bait shop told me that bait shops are not essential. He can keep the marine repair portion of his business open but the bait shop is closed until April 9 at 5pm (at least).

I think stand alone bait shops can still operate and only offering curbside service. Vado’s in Spring Lake Park is operating under that protocol.

Now bait shops that also operate under the same roof as convenience stores? Not sure?

Some convenience stores do provide essentials such as grocery, TP, etc., along with a bait tank with minnows and leeches.

Portside in Isle is offering curbside only. Not sure if that’s just for the bait or if that’s all offerings such as milk and hot dog buns? ???

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I really don’t know what to think of fishing pressure and will need hindsight on this one.

One one hand and one scenario people are less likely to go out. Whether that’s because of personal choices, gov’t restrictions, businesses voluntarily closed, stay closer to home, etc.

On the other hand with fishing being one of the open activities and the fact that a lot of people have a lot more available time this will increase pressure. What do you do with your free time if you can’t work? If you’re no longer the taxi driver to all your kids activities? If you relocated to the cabin because you can wfh? Activities like going for a walk and going fishing will be filling the voids.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Well, lots of guys that ice fish up here believe that years where we have lots of snow, then slush think it helps the open water fishing in those years. I tend to agree with that premise.

Based on that and depending on how long pressure is eased up on lakes, it could keep fish in the lakes.

Another thing to consider, is according to our WI creel survey stats approx. 80% of our ceded territory walleyes leave the lakes and go home during May and June.

Mark

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Initially, I would have figured fishing would spike with an 11% rise in unemployment, but I didn’t consider (and I currently don’t know) how much fishing is done through businesses and not just a person with a boat.

Launches closing would have a huge impact – don’t know how that would be received. All I know is that I am scrambling quick to get a couple dudes willing to mask up and not properly social distance for 10min to help me get the deeded access dock in next to my house. Then I’m gonna toss the $50 lift I’ve had under my deck for 2 years next to said dock and leave my boat in until the craziness passes.

I could see cities for sure not putting out the floating fishing docks – those things are elbow to elbow all summer.

My kids like destroying the lawn/garden anyway – they can hunt for worms.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tindall wrote:</div>
    I could see cities for sure not putting out the floating fishing docks – those things are elbow to elbow all summer.

They already are – was out on a north metro lake this weekend and the fishing dock was packed.

Yup, fishing dock on prior by my house was full of people this past weekend

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

If the state delays the start of the season by a month or two — worst case scenario — I doubt we will see any significant changes to baitfish/gamefish populations. After the delayed Opener, anglers would ‘make up for lost time’ by fishing more and keeping more fish. It would even out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is the sort of behavior that may end up ruining it for all of us. If you can’t abide by the guidelines, don’t go.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nolan mitchell wrote:</div>

This is the sort of behavior that may end up ruining it for all of us. If you can’t abide by the guidelines, don’t go.

Gimruis I don’t think your message is going to reach the people on the fishing dock, who need it. whistling

I would imagine a pretty big and negative pushback if the Gov tried to cancel the opener. Also, the longer into summer this goes, the more devastated the outstate areas will be, most business owners I know around my parents home in Nevis make almost ALL of their money from fishing opener to Labor Day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just received word from a source “in the middle” of this and there

Won’t be a delay to Fishing or Hunting seasons in MN.
    (apparently there was a conference call today regarding this)

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blackbay wrote:</div>

Every bait store I know of in this area is still open for business as normal. The one’s I’ve talked with said they were informed they were granted essential status.

lindyrig79

I just spoke with a campground owner in southern MN (won’t name which one) who said they are planning to be open next week regardless of what the Gov says today. They said the vast majority of their bookings at this time of year are turkey hunters and trout anglers who are all abiding by social distancing (i.e. common sense) during this time.

From every single news outlet and doctor I have listened to during this whole ordeal the idea of the shutdown is to flatten the curve, not eliminate the curve. You need to open back up, using some smart guidelines, once that has been accomplished.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gimruis I don’t think your message is going to reach the people on the fishing dock, who need it.

Well then go relay the message! lol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Gimruis I don’t think your message is going to reach the people on the fishing dock, who need it.

Well then go relay the message! lol

Haha are the crappies up shallow yet? I could be talked into making a visit… rotflol rotflol

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I just spoke with a campground owner in southern MN (won’t name which one) who said they are planning to be open next week regardless of what the Gov says today. They said the vast majority of their bookings at this time of year are turkey hunters and trout anglers who are all abiding by social distancing (i.e. common sense) during this time.

Campsites should open – all the sites are spread out, go every other if you want. If you want to get crazy dont let them open the restrooms and showers. We often go camping before the season ramps up and a bucket with a lugable loo lid works just fine – and most of the other people have rvs with bathrooms. We have begun makimg a tradition of easter camping and it blows we cant go this year.

It will be interesting to see what the fishing docks do. You cant social distance on most of them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.