Arrow Wraps – Are They Worth It?

• kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m just getting into repairing my own arrows. I bought the Bohning jig that is fully adjustable. I have plans of putting new vanes on a dozen of my field archery arrows. I’ll be going from a straight offset to a helical orientation. It was easy to remove the damaged vanes, but a pain in the end to get “all” of the old glue off.

Will my task of removing old vanes and putting new ones on be easier or harder if I decide to wrap my arrows first? Have you had you glue to eat through the wrap to have it stick to the shaft anyway? I’ll take any advice on wraps…good or bad if you have used them yourself. Thanks guys.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

To get the glue off from the vanes, scrape off the excess glue w/ a ArrowZip or razor blade. Then, use a cloth or paper towel w/ Acetone to remove the sticky glue and other residue. Your wraps will never be flush with the arrow shaft unless you get all your glue off. IMO, this is the easiest process to get the glue off

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I can not speak to wraps as I have never used them, I guess I am old school when it comes to vanes as I still use feathers and am very happy with them so I see no need to change.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I put wraps on my new shafts. After changing fletchings on them the first time now. I will never go back to no wraps. It’s so easy to re wrap and fletch with no glue on the shaft. In my opinion they look better too.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

It’s so easy to re wrap and fletch with no glue on the shaft.

What brand wrap and glue did you use? I have a friend that had fast setting gel to eat through his wrap resulting in double work when he replaced his vanes.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I have bright green wraps from Lancaster Archery. And I use Goat Tuff glue. Had the same bottle since I bought it from Average Joe’s when I lived in Anoka going on 2 yrs now. Just go light on the glue on your vanes as you don’t want a lot seeping out. Just wipe off the excess with a q-tip.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

To get the glue off from the vanes, scrape off the excess glue w/ a ArrowZip or razor blade.

I thought the razor blade was going to be a bad idea at first. With light pressure the excess glue came off easily. I was expecting the Acetone to remove some of the glue instead of just the residue. I think I will skip the wraps for now. Thanks guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.