compound bow help

• matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

So last summer i got a compound bow to try hunting with. I have done alot of archery with a long bow and while im no robin hood im fairly efficient with it. With the compound im really struggling to hit anything using the sights. i dont know if they are off or what. My question is, can i get rid of the arrow rest and aim it like a long bow? if not, how do you sight in a bow? i dont see a bore sighter working in this situation.

thegun
    mn

Hey chevy..

you will need to keep a arrow rest of some sort on the bow.. as far as sighting in just remember to chase the arrow!! what i mean by this is if your shooting high move your sight up.. if your shooting left move your sight left..

another thing to check is your knock point.. make sure when your arrow is knocked and sitting on the rest that it is square to the string..

and something else you should just do right now if you havent done so already is to start shooting with a release..

good luck to ya

big_g
    Isle, MN

You do need a rest, but alot of people instinct shoot

todders
    Shoreview, MN

The first step should be to paper tune it to make sure the rest and knock point are in the correct location. This ensures the arrow is flying straight from the moment it loses contact with the string. After that it is just sighting in following your arrow. Consistency is everything. Good luck!

super_do
    St Michael, MN

X2 on the paper tune. If you bought it used it might not be a bad idea to take it to a pro shop and have it gone over. Depending on how old it is, it might need a new string, bearings, tuning. Could be something as easy as something might be loose?

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.