iDoHunting.com Archery Shoot /GTG

• djorg
    Central City, NE

A scope wouldn’t look real good on a 50 cal Hawkens. Don’t think that that ruling will change anything for me.

jorg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Multipowered scopes not only will allow hunters to more accurately place shots, they will effectively double the lethal range of the rifles to about 250 yards.

Baloney…if you’re shooting round balls out of a .50 cal the end of the world is about 100 yards away, I don’t care what you can see beyond that. The low ballistic coefficient of a round ball means it’s slowed down a lot after 100 yards. It would be irresponsible, in my opinion, to take a longer shot than that with such a weapon.

If you were throwing conical shaped bullets then yes you have longer range…but you also have a trajectory that looks like the McDonalds golden arches. How many of us can really see the difference between 120 yards and 170 yards?

Just because you can see it doesn’t mean you can it right. A Hawken rifle with a scope on it? Yuck….

Rootski

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

It figures.

Has nothing to do with muzzleloading anymore just about the money. With all the different deer premits in Nebraska now, who cares about “sport”, it’s how can we sell another permit. Next they’ll come up with a arrow you can fire from that scoped single shot high-power rifle you load from the muzzle. That’ll get some more permits out there and they can start selling them in September. Wont the true archers love it when the guy up the next tree has a saboted 30-06 shafted broadhead loaded in his scoped muzzelloading single shot high-powered arrow launcher……… HA! Who cares about the sport???? Long as they can sell more permits.

If any of this had a thing to do with “sport” they’d leave the archers be, give the muzzleloaders back their primitive season, and regulate the harvest with rifle seasons. Buck vs Doe permits would help manage the size of the heard for numbers or trophies. As it is,,,,, its all about the number of permits sold and what they can do to come up with another way to sell some more.

seibert
    Kearney, Nebraska

Quote:

Quote:

Multipowered scopes not only will allow hunters to more accurately place shots, they will effectively double the lethal range of the rifles to about 250 yards.

Baloney…if you’re shooting round balls out of a .50 cal the end of the world is about 100 yards away, I don’t care what you can see beyond that. The low ballistic coefficient of a round ball means it’s slowed down a lot after 100 yards. It would be irresponsible, in my opinion, to take a longer shot than that with such a weapon.

If you were throwing conical shaped bullets then yes you have longer range…but you also have a trajectory that looks like the McDonalds golden arches. How many of us can really see the difference between 120 yards and 170 yards?

Just because you can see it doesn’t mean you can it right. A Hawken rifle with a scope on it? Yuck….

Rootski

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!
    I really feel bad for the “few” spike bucks that make it through the Firearm season. They don’t stand a chance now!!

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

This chaps my hide. Might as well just have another rifle season. Why take the time to learn how to shoot? Just drop a couple pellets down your barrel, throw a jacketed pistol bullet on top, look through your 9x Leopold, and call yourself a buckskinner.

Next up: Crossbows during archery season.

benseim

I have posted a similiar response about this issue on another forum. I agree 100% that the NGPC does not care about the deer herd in the state, but only how can we sell more permits. They even stated that overall permit sales were down last year, hmmm wonder why – low mature buck quality, permit cost too high????? I know for a fact that we pay more than our neighbors for a resident deer tag.

Anyway, I just feel that if you are shooting any of the newer in line muzzleloaders and you now have a scope on it, you are shooting a single shot rifle. I don’t think anyone can debate that point. Technology has improved the muzzleloader to the point that the season does not fit the gun anylonger. It was originally intended to give the traditional muzzle loader a longer season because they were shooting a gun that was inferior to the rifle, that has now changed.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

You guys bring up some great points of view

As for me, if they what a primative season, then they need to leave it primative. If they want to take away the primativeness of the season, then they need to nock it down to a 10 day season and sex the permits like the rifle season that it is going to mirror My $.02

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

..if you’re shooting round balls out of a .50 cal the end of the world is about 100 yards away, I don’t care what you can see beyond that. The low ballistic coefficient of a round ball means it’s slowed down a lot after 100 yards. Rootski

That’s a real good point made.

basswalleye
    Gibbon Nebraska

I know some people are upset with the new ruling. Myself i’m glad they changed it. I have a bad shooting eye. and eyes( Since my heart attack). Early light and cloudy days I can’t see good enough to take a shot with open sights. The 1X power scopes were a joke with there small lenses. I was hoping they would limit the power to 4X or 6X power or maybe 3 X 9 varible power. I don’t think people who complained understand that these scopes are on in-line muzzleloaders. I doubt very much if any, body is going to scope a traditional hawkins. I went and bought a 3 X 9 for mine but I am going to use the 9X power for testing loads to make my gun shoot even better, and 3X to 6X power for hunting. Thanks! my 2 cents

rippin-lips
    Kearney

I have a 12 year old Daughter who is going to be glad they changed the rule. Not to many kids can shoot accurate with open sights. And a 1 x scope is not much better IMO.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I understand that the scope will be going on a “modern muzzleloader.” It’s that the in-line muzzzleloader, to me, represents the ultimate missed point. Put a scope on it, and you still miss the point.

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

So if your 12yr old can’t shoot with iron sights or your eyes are too bad they have a season where “Scopes” were already allowed, use it. People who enjoy “muzzleloading” for what it really is don’t want the season contaminated and that argument will never be resolved. Like any of that maters and it all that misses the point anyway.

Game and Parks could care less about anything other than permit sales. The sooner we come up with that 30-06 arrow shaft so we can sabot a broadhead, behind 150 grains of smokeless powder, ignited by a shotgun primer, from a 12 power scoped, in-line arrow launcher the better. Think of all the extra permits they could sell if it took so much less skill to shoot broadheads at deer. Rather than a few hundreds of archers buying permits we could put thousands of blind 12yr olds up a tree from September to February.

Makes sense to me…… HA!

rippin-lips
    Kearney

Boy someone is a sore looser

basswalleye
    Gibbon Nebraska

OK. I understand the guys who are against the in-line guns. They want the old fashioned ways. Understood. I have been talking to people who know Game &Parks and there looking at a new season. First will be high powers then in-line scoped muzzleloaders, then Traditional muzzleloaders who also can shoot a buck and a doe. But it looks like maybe 4 years before that happens?? Why I don’t know! Nothings in concrete yet just talk.

hunter_aug
    Holdrege, Ne

Here is may 2 cents: I think adding scopes is a great way to get more people out in the woods in december, more hunters, can only help the deer move a little more.
    As for the deer heard in nebraska; the population is high and the mature buck ratio does not seem above average ; but we can not point a finger to any season but as to the ethics of hunters. If you hunt for meat please take a doe or two or three; rather than shooting one basket rack (or a two to three year old buck for that matter) because you get twenty more pounds of meat off of him.
    If we all did this the taxidermists would be very busy, no matter what we shoot’em with.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

As for the deer heard in nebraska; the population is high and the mature buck ratio does not seem above average ; but we can not point a finger to any season but as to the ethics of hunters

This is a very good point. It’s hard to get people to change their ways of hunting but it can be done. The best way is by educating them. Websites like idofishing.com and idohunting.com are great places to learn more about their sport and see first hand the latest advise on fish and game management that works.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

CLICK HERE to see information about the iDoHunting.com’s Archery Shoot / GTG!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.