AR Pistol in Slug Zone

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think the typical pistol or revolver has to have a straight walled cartridge. The exception would be the single shot, break action pistol which can be chambered for tapered or necked rifle cartridges like the Grendel or Blackout.

404 ERROR
    MN

This has been discussed extensively on FB hunting groups and I believe it was never fully answered. AFAIK, there is nothing specifically banning them in a shotgun zone but many people have said their local CO stated you cannot use them. I would consult your local CO. I have used a .300blk in the past in Southern MN and never had an issue, even got checked by the local CO near Mankato.

tornadochaser

I think the typical pistol or revolver has to have a straight walled cartridge. The exception would be the single shot, break action pistol which can be chambered for tapered or necked rifle cartridges like the Grendel or Blackout.

MN state law has changed, and only requires that the caliber be larger than .220, and be of centerfire ignition.

Disco, I know a few guys that hunt with AR-10 pistols from their stands. I will say this much…if the warden sees you shouldering your braced pistol in the field, you may get a ticket. Whether you could fight it in court based on the language of the law i don’t know, but a guy in our party was warned last fall when checked.

Also, keep in mind if you use an adjustable pistol brace on any pistol, you are required to measure the overall length with the brace fully extended to the crown of the barrel (not the muzzle device). with the SBA3 brace on the gun you linked to, anything with a 9.5″ barrel or longer will measure over 26″ and be a “firearm” not a pistol. The state wardens are aware of this statute.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks for clarifying that tornadochaser. I don’t know why anyone would feel the need to take something like that in the woods. I hunt with a break-action single shot, blackpowder yet, and have never needed to reload. When I see these multi-shot weapons being brought in to the hunting field I wonder how skilled the guy is.

tornadochaser

Thanks for clarifying that tornadochaser. I don’t know why anyone would feel the need to take something like that in the woods. I hunt with a break-action single shot, blackpowder yet, and have never needed to reload. When I see these multi-shot weapons being brought in to the hunting field I wonder how skilled the guy is.

Different strokes for different folks. Many people new to hunting are recently new to firearms, and modern semi-autos dominate the market.

Some just want to do it because it’s legal. Some have a “one gun for everything” philosophy. Some want fast follow up shots. If I’ve got 2 tags in my pocket and a shooter buck has his nose up a doe, you can bet I’m putting one in the buck and immediately transitioning to the doe. That’s not going to happen efficiently with a 1 banger.

disco bobber

Thanks, just thinking about options that would be fairly accurate within a hundred yards and comfortably kill a deer. I had heard of this but did not know much. I think I will pass on this idea.

tornadochaser

Thanks, just thinking about options that would be fairly accurate within a hundred yards and comfortably kill a deer. I had heard of this but did not know much. I think I will pass on this idea.

I wouldn’t get discouraged; maybe just do a little more research on the AR forums like ar15.com, before committing to AR pistol hunting. I was ringing steel at 425 yards with my buddy’s 6.5 with a 12″ barrel a few weeks ago. It’s an accurate platform, and with the right bullet, will perform on deer past 200 yards with no issues. I think my buddy’s gun (set up for hog hunting) was sighted in 2.5″ high at 100, and had around 5.5″ of drop at 200, and I think we were right around 50″ of drop at 425.

disco bobber

I guess I am also hoping that MN would follow Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and maybe a couple of others and allow some straight wall cartridge centerfire rifles in the slug zone.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I guess I am also hoping that MN would follow Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and maybe a couple of others and allow some straight wall cartridge centerfire rifles in the slug zone.

Buy a T/C Contender…..all kinds of high powered rifle cartridges to get barrels for. As for fast follow-up shots on deer, they can be a real trial with a rifle or shotgun. With a handgun of any kind and expecting killing accuracy they are more than likely a pipe-dream.

404 ERROR
    MN

Do with as you wish. Direct from MN DNR. Does it makes sense? No, but it doesn’t have to…the DNR doesn’t need to follow federal guidelines for their definition. Looks like they don’t. The first picture really makes me laugh…”pistol” with collapsible stock?…hmmmm

Attachments:
    1. 0D1617E1-2AF3-461B-9B7E-4869B395AD8B.jpeg

2. A678E5D5-C5C9-4C8E-8CEE-49CFCA2EF39A.jpeg

3. E880198E-78A9-4656-8D9C-B1D15E982250.jpeg

tornadochaser

So to be safe, just running the buffer tube would be best. That “powerpoint” is a hot mess though.

ajw

What a dumpster fire the dnr is. Make it up as you go! You absolutely can legally shoulder a pistol brace according to the feds but not in the MN woods. Wow.

ajw

This mentality bothers me. Why would someone discourage gun ownership and use of said tools? I think your black powder is too easy. You should only be able to use a homemade bow with homemade arrows that I deem acceptable

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks, just thinking about options that would be fairly accurate within a hundred yards and comfortably kill a deer.

With over a decade of big game handgun hunting under my belt, I would say before committing to anything, try all the pistols you can and see if handgun hunting with ANY handgun is for you.

All I can say is that on average feedback I’ve gotten from people who have shot my TC Contender in various calibers is that it is WAY harder than it looks even off the bench. And then add a “field” type shooting position or rest and it is way, way, way harder.

I think that going in many assume just because my Contenders have good scopes and are shooting big-for-handgun cartridges, well, how hard can it be, right? I mean who COULDN’T punch one in the middle at “only” 50 yards? Also, recoil, schmeecoil, I’m a man, I can handle anything. Plus, I’ve been shooting since I was 10, so how hard can a handgun really be?

Then they discover that reality is very, very different. As I’ve said before, lots of guys have taken me up on my offer to shoot the Contender once. Nobody has asked for a follow up shot yet.

Get up in a deer stand with a less than perfect rest and then add in a little breeze shaking that tree, which the long relief handgun scope amplifies, and then add the lower velocity and the chances of a follow-up shot being next to zero…

Bottom line is handgun hunting IS every bit of the challenge that it has a reputation for being. No amount of gear is going to take the place of a lot of practice and patience in keeping inside your range limitations for effective kills.

Grouse

disco bobber

Do with as you wish. Direct from MN DNR. Does it makes sense? No, but it doesn’t have to…the DNR doesn’t need to follow federal guidelines for their definition. Looks like they don’t. The first picture really makes me laugh…”pistol” with collapsible stock?…hmmmm

Can I assume this is recent info from the DNR?

404 ERROR
    MN

We can always assume. Best to email them yourself, I do not have an exact date. Sorry

tornadochaser

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>disco bobber wrote:</div>

We can always assume. Best to email them yourself, I do not have an exact date. Sorry

And yet that information is not even referenced in the regulations handbook or on the website. Stooooooooopid.

disco bobber

If they are going to take a different view of this, then they needs to put out a press release.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

SBR’s with stocks are not handguns no matter what the law says. They are loop holed high capacity capable mini rifles. People want to use them in place of pistols in shotgun zones to have an advantage. I don’t blame people for seeking advantages but lets not kid ourselves.

tornadochaser

SBR’s with stocks are not handguns no matter what the law says. They are loop holed high capacity capable mini rifles. People want to use them in place of pistols in shotgun zones to have an advantage. I don’t blame people for seeking advantages but lets not kid ourselves.

People use saboted slugs rather than foster style slugs..why? Advantage. People use scopes rather than a vent rib & bead…why? Advantage.

If centerfire cartridges are legal for pistol configurations in the shotgun deer zone, then who cares what the configuration is? You’re limited to around 10″ barrel length on an AR, so there’s not a great ballistic advantage given the calibers you can barrel for, even on the AR-10 platform, vs. a savage striker, Rem 700 CM, or TC encore/contender, all of which can run 14″ barrels. My buddy’s dad has run a Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol chambered in 7mm-08 since the mid 90’s. He’s planted plenty of good bucks at 300 plus yards from the same stand overlooking CRP and crop land. But by the way you define AR pistols, that XP-100 is nothing more than a “mini sniper rifle.”

Charles Rosckes

Took this deer with an saint edge pistol it’s under 26″ AR 556 pistol, I also was lucky enough to show the gun to the dnr officer before I went out and he said it was legal in are shotgun zone.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191127-195813_Gallery.jpg

2. Screenshot_20191127-195809_Gallery.jpg

TJB
    Cottage Grove, MN.

Any more information on this? I just called the DNR and they could not point me to anywhere on their website that could clarify shouldered shooting with an AR 15 pistol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Doesn’t someone in Minnesota have to obtain a tax stamp to even own a Short Barreled Rifle ( SBR ) like the one in the original posters link? Or is it the pistol brace that gets you around the SBR tax stamp requirement? I looked into all of this once when I was looking to purchase one, and the laws were really confusing to say the least. If I remember correctly I was told that if you are seen shouldering one with a so called pistol brace then you are at that point breaking the law unless you have the proper Tax Stamp.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Doesn’t someone in Minnesota have to obtain a tax stamp to even own a Short Barreled Rifle ( SBR ) like the one in the original posters link? Or is it the pistol brace that gets you around the SBR tax stamp requirement? I looked into all of this once when I was looking to purchase one, and the laws were really confusing to say the least. If I remember correctly I was told that if you are seen shouldering one with a so called pistol brace then you are at that point breaking the law unless you have the proper Tax Stamp.

Pistol “brace” = Pistol

“Standard” AR adjustable butt stock requires a stamp.

deertracker

It’s based on barrel length for rifles. Under 16 inches or an overall length of 26 inches. The way around the AR pistols is that it’s a “Brace” Not a “Stock”.
    DT

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s based on barrel length for rifles. Under 16 inches or an overall length of 26 inches. The way around the AR pistols is that it’s a “Brace” Not a “Stock”.
    DT

I was told its only a brace until its shouldered – Then it become a stock. It was all a little to Grey for me to risk getting one with a ” Brace ” and a short barrel. Any violation with a firearm is not one I want on my record.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

I was told its only a brace until its shouldered – Then it become a stock. It was all a little to Grey for me to risk getting one with a ” Brace ” and a short barrel. Any violation with a firearm is not one I want on my record.

Yes, it can not be shouldered in a shotgun zone.
    DT

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

This was changed in March (?) of 2017. The ATF ruled that by simply placing a pistol brace to one’s shoulder you have not magically turned the AR pistol into an SBR. Google “shouldering a pistol brace”.

This is all hypothetical of course. All my ARs were lost in a terrible accident.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.