Apostle islands

• Red Eye

Possibly headed to ice fish the apostle islands on Lake Superior next weekend. Buddy and I are going out there for the first time going after lakers. I know a lot of people will say get a guide but that isn’t in the cards. Now with a lot of assumptions.
    Like assuming the ice stays decent and doesn’t break up. Assuming we check ice as we go and are careful and go slow. Assuming that the wind is a favorable forecast. And Assuming we can get out amongst the islands.
    Now with everything perfect, We will not force it. Has anyone ice fished lake trout up there before? Just looking for a general starting location? Near which island or area to try/start? More shore line breaks or points? Thanks for any help.

Bill Mundt

Get to Red Cliff EARLY if your going on a Thursady- Sunday. It’s border line insanity. (25 years ago there would be 5-10 rigs) Now it’s hundreds. Follow the 1000 or so people out around the north side of Basswood and head out from there. Stay away from North Channnel inbetween Stockton and Madeline (around Michigan) and the South Channel between Madeline and Long. I haven’t been out this year in the islands yet, but have heard there’s lots of bad pack ice in spots. I’ve been out twice near shore and have done really well on splake, coho and some browns mixed in. Heard the lake trout have been hit and miss like most years. Like most any fishing, If your not catching fish, move. And don’t think you have to be deep either. Last few years my biggest lakers have been coming from 50-60 fow. Nice thing there is you will have splake, browns and whitefish mixed in too when fishing that shallow. But, you probably will not see the numbers of lake trout you will see out deeper. Stop by River Rock in Ashland and get some FRESH herring or smelt for cut bait.(not frozen) if they dont have any, sucker meat works ok too. (they are also sometimes good for current info and where to go and not to go) Lastly, shiny, high and fast if the sun is out. Low, Glow and Slow if its cloudy. (not always the case, but thats what we go by) Good luck.

Red Eye

Good info thanks bill

Mike

Went out of Red Cliff last Sunday. The crowd didn’t seem too bad, but it was my first time there so nothing to gauge it by. We were walking out so stayed within about a mile of the launch to the north. Seemed to be a pretty consistent 18″+ of ice where we were. No real luck with trout, maybe some follows. One 17″ whitefish in 80′ of water. Just about all of the sled / atv traffic was coming back from the north.

Looked like a big pressure ridge to the south, but we didn’t venture that way.

mojo

I considered doing a trip up there with some friends. A friend of a friend fishes that area regularly, and would give us some pointers, possibly join us if the timing worked out.
    He emails my friend, and gives us a bunch of tips, and one tip cured me of any desire to try it.
    Be sure to put a tip up out with nothing more than a heavy weight on it, set it right on the bottom with very little slack, be sure everyone in the group knows which tip up this is, and they watch it closely. If it triggers, the ice you are on is moving, and may be breaking free.
    No no no no. Nope. Count me out.

B-man

Bring a throw rope

Wear a float suit or life jacket or both

I also bring a PLB (personal locater beacon) and a Gumby suit (cold water immersion suit)

Don’t go exploring, that’s what gets people killed. Leave it to the guys that are out there every day.

That lake has taken a lot of lives. I don’t plan on joining the list, nor do I want to hear about anyone else.

And Mojo, that’s old school )

On my Garmin I set an anchor drag alarm. It’s meant to let you know if your anchor lets loose, but works just as well if the ice lets go.

Red Eye

Yep both of us have float suits and already have throwable cushions with ropes on them.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Is the main concern falling thru bad ice or ice breaking away from a group and having to get water rescued? Very fascinating. Not sold on this trip yet!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.