Anything worth planting now?

• Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Long story short, we killed off about a half acre of open meadow near one of our stands with gly about a month ago…still mostly dead and mostly cleared of grass naturally somehow…wondering if it’s worth giving it a drag and throwing seed of some sort down…West Central Minnesota is the area…planned on putting something in earlier but never had any time..will have the chance to seed it this weekend…

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Throw down some Rye!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Considering you have very little time left for germination and growth, go rye

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A few options:

– As mentioned, rye grain.
    – Winter wheat.
    – Triticale – cross of rye and wheat.
    – Annual ryegrass. I use this on my trails and in low spots on plot edges that are too wet to plant in the spring and summer. Produces a nice thick carpet and the deer really like it late in the season. Side benefit, since it’s an annual you don’t have to do anything to kill it off next spring to put the plot to other uses.

But you need to HURRY! It’s a roll of the dice at this point, you’re going to need luck with the weather as far as both good moisture for germination and then get lucky with some hotter Indian Summer days in September to really get decent growth.

Don’t skimp on fertilizer, if you’re going to do it, go all in and fertilize so the plants actually grow. No use doing the work and then not giving the plant any food, just penny wise and pound foolish.

If you’re in the east metro, I have both rye grain and annual forage rye grass in stock. I can get winter wheat and triticale in within 1-2 days.

Grouse

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

From what I have gathered that’s what I was seeing as well…unfortunately I’m on the West side of the metro…looks like I will scrounge around Fleet Farm and see what they have left…

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Well, fingers crossed…not perfect looking but seeded, fertilized, and watered a couple times..

Attachments:
    1. 2E60B1AC-E55C-479A-9A63-658D05205C5B.jpeg

2. 865078EF-A5DD-49AD-8E24-17793BAD0188.jpeg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What did you end up planting?

Grouse

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Antler king fall/winter/spring blend mixed with another blend that had cereal rye and winter wheat in it…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Antler king fall/winter/spring blend mixed with another blend that had cereal rye and winter wheat in it…

Good call. Now you need the weather back on your side. Get a little heat and that stuff will sprout pretty quickly.

Post some update pics when it’s growing.

Grouse

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

I like how you said “when” not “if” it’s growing…hoping for the best…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.